Why did pop up lights go out of style?

Was it a economic thing?
I feel as though it could've been kept on modern cars as it makes the car more appealing at least to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nRQ-nbhwrEI
youtube.com/watch?v=06BFsQ_28Co
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something about safety regulations

They didn't go out of style. Car safety regulations started to include pedestrian safety criteria and pop up headlights for whatever reason are very dangerous in a pedestrian collision so they got banned

Pop-ups are kinda heavy, regular headlights can reduce weight.

Not to mention they create more air-resistance and thus make your car slightly less aerodynamic when moving, but I doubt that's one of the reasons why they're gone.

Also yeah this, apparently they're unsafe and people can get impaled on them, so a lot of safety normies don't like them. That's the real reason.

theyre objectively shit in every possible way

companies used them mostly to get around laws that dont exist anymore

waste of time and money to produce an uglier car to still use them

safety regs havent killed them good taste and no desire to waste money killed them

>theyre objectively shit in every possible way
subjective

>companies used them mostly to get around laws that dont exist anymore
wrong, they made them because people liked them

>waste of time and money to produce an uglier car to still use them
again, subjective

>safety regs havent killed them good taste and no desire to waste money killed them
>desire to waste money
>waste
It's not a waste if people like them

whoa dude, it's almost as if you don't have an argument

>subjective

wrong

more weight = objective
ruins aerodynamics = objective
more complex = objective
less reliable = objective

>wrong, they made them because people liked them

wrong

headlights had a minimum height law in the us

why do you think we got shitty popups on 240s instead of the Silvia front

>waste of time and money to produce an uglier car to still use them

waste of time and money is objective

>It's not a waste if people like them

it is when they make the car worse in every way
only a niche of hipsters like them anyway

wow its like youre some retarded kid who has shit taste and thinks his opinion is fact because theres no way something he likes can be this awful

>Implying the pedestrian is at fault.

Now imagine the person in the left panel is your wife / girlfriend / waifu, innocently walking along the pavement, when they get hit by a drunk driver or some fagg/o/t hooning around a corner and getting hit by snap oversteer

Still wish they were hit by the car on the left?

you would think the headlight would act like a mini crumple-zone for the person instead of a hard ass hood

@17778106

gg ez

How are you supposed to high beam flash people with the lights tucked away?

Drive with your pop-ups up anyway

You can still do it they just take a second to pop up

nigga, you're posting one of the few examples of cars that look alright with lights up
in most cases cars look better with them hidden
so what's the fucking point?

case in point

excellent example my man
here's another one

well what was the car doing in the kitchen

I'd like to see a source on that. As far as I know there's just no need to keep them (no minimum height regulation anymore) and since they're complex, heavy, shit aero and so on, car companies prefer other lights.

Plus with current LED/Xenon based lights, light area needed to illuminate the road properly is drastically smaller, so no need to fold up a large reflector.

I cant see how they cant make them easily collapsible when hit to prevent injuries, I get the feeling that they just wanted better aerodynamics, economy and one less headache to design.

Anyway, pop ups to death!

youtube.com/watch?v=nRQ-nbhwrEI

Literally no need for them and all they did was add negatives to a vehicle.

Well shit user stuff like that doesn't happen 24/7 besides they'd still be fucked up if it where the one on the right assuming they're going full Eurobeat

oh, tripfag, you rascal!!

>popups on 240s
didnt they sell 180sxs in japan? didnt they also sell s13 silvias in the states?

My '69 Cougar had hidden headlights. They didn't pop up. They were in the grill. I liked them.

Sadly agreed, even though I fucking love pop ups. I mean, I would probably be more inclined to buy a car today if it had pop up headlights

The NSX is IMO easily the best example of pop up headlights that look good. The real key is making the top line of the headlights going from front to back doesn't start clashing into the lines of the rest of the car. The NSX did this by having two sets of smaller lamps for low and high instead of one big fucker like the Miata. They never go further back than sitting parallel to the ground and that's the key.

Still, I fucking love the headlights on my friend's MR2 and would totally be more into modern cars if they had pop up lights.

the headlights work for the miata because they're round lights for a round car

>Want to post an FD as the superior pop-up headlight sports car
>Every image I can find is of some horribly modded abomination
Thanks a bunch, I'm sad now.

RX7s have lenses that the lights shine through so you can do that while the lights are down.

our S13 came from the factory as Onevias because the Silvia lights didnt meet our regulations

There's absolutely no reason to bring back the mechanically needlessly complicated, aerodynamically compromised when deployed solution of popups now that LEDs can contain the same lighting power as halogen lights in the tiniest formats. Pic related, you could fit LED headlights in the two slits with the same overall body shape as retracted popups.

shit like that makes me moist

you do know that's not the same car as right?

no shit

who said it was

did you even read the post

>collapsable
>be driving on highway at 150mph
>wind force at this point is way stronger than hitting a person
>suddently my pop ups fly into the cabin, instantly decapitating me and my black boyfriend

more of this

>shit taste
>tripfag
Damn im surprised.

Because they look like shit and are just another moving part to fail.

why are you driving on a highway at 150mph. theres a speed limit for a reason dumbass.

Nobody got this right.

Popups don't "impale." They trap pedestrians on the front of the hood. Once the pede is trapped and going the same speed as the vehicle, they slide off the front of the hood into the path of the the front tire and get driven over. Modern car bumpers and hoods are designed to lift and shed hoomans over the side out of the path of the vehicle so they don't get crushed.

More weight isn't necessarily bad though. The NA Miata had them and it's still light.
Also, the aerodynamics will only be 'ruined' if they are being used. Normie customers wont care about speeding up at night.
They also looked more alive [spoiler] and cute [/spoiler] and not angery-agressive modern shit like we have now

they're conventionally ugly
and unconventionally attractive

that's a sad car

Popups are generally more aerodynamic when down though compared to flat face traditional head lights

Good looking cars arent free

I'm so glad this meme died on normiebook several months ago
The cocaine eyes are the only accurate ones it pisses me tough

This is too cute

pedestrian safety, same reason Mercedes and Jaguar had to get rid of their stand-up hood ornaments for flat ones

this
there are some low profile mods and they look like SHIT

Fuck it's just the car version of Peach.

S14s were sold in the US dipshit
I owned one

>Still wish they were hit by the car on the left?

I wish they were not hit by a car that has a sharp sheet metal blade on the front bumper (a license plate).

But pedestrian safety advocates can't make states drop the front license plate requirement. So I'm keeping my popups. And bull bar/winch on my truck.

Dummkopf!

>lift and shed hoomans over the side

Not after they get hooked on the front license plate.

Are you going to post this in every thread people talk about this or

>motor fails
>$80 for a new motor

that's why

>safety regulations
>more expensive to make
>usually have easy to change bulbs, which lowers dealership and parts replacement revenue

The goal of auto makers is to make every vehicle look like a new blob civic and have normies think it's cool and sporty.

I bet these guy drew that:

youtube.com/watch?v=06BFsQ_28Co

Literally every car is a big buggly failure ridden pos. I'll take another dumb thing failing to have pop up headlights.