Wow, it's been 4 years since i've been out of the game and away from Veeky Forums

Wow, it's been 4 years since i've been out of the game and away from Veeky Forums...

4 years ago everyone on this board was going ape shit over this car, calling it 'God Machine'...

What changed since then and what is Veeky Forums's general opinion of the Toyota/Subaru love child now?

Other urls found in this thread:

onehotlap.com/2013/01/the-gt86-dilemma-fr-s-or-brz.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's too slow.
That is the main complaint of it. At this point it's an overpriced heavy Miata.

get ready to meet alphonse lol

Somewhere in the design process it lost an extra hundred horsepower it needed to be good. Also sounds disappointing as fuck stock.

It's similarly priced to a miata.

comes with LSD and miata doesn't... Has a big trunk too

They fucked it up letting Subaru use their engine. The engine is too wide to turbo it and too high compression stock. Needs premium for 200hp. Stock tune has torque dip. They purposely put shitty tires on just to get it to be "fun"

Nevermind that the original projected price target when it was announced was sub 20k. Most of the other sins could be ignored if that was the case, instead of being a literal 100$ cheaper than the WRX.

It's close to 30k and it's got the power of 18k cars.

The cars at 30k have 40-60% more power.

The tuning and wrenching ability on the boxer is crap. If it had a normal engine, everything else could be forgiven.

and it's rwd unlike the 18k cars.

>The cars at 30k have 40-60% more power.

except they are fwd

>too wide to turbo
This is a new one, Veeky Forums

Yes the 370z, mustang, camaro etc are all fwd

Nice blog post faggot, nobody missed you

Veeky Forums realised they couldn't afford it.

Ergo all these excuses about how bad it is, how slow it is etc

Are those cars actually the same price as a 86?

They do this while praising their 3k miatas and civics.

Yes

Why do you think they haven't turboed it yet and slapping a supercharger on top has been far more popular?

>tfw the manual starts at 52k euros (62k dollars) in my eurocuck country

Well that's kinda retarded.

I am glad I don't live in a crappy country.

That's pretty bad.

Because the LSD in the miata is optional.

Its too expensive.

For a similar price than a 0km GT86 you can get a fiesta ST or a Focus ST and it will beat the shit outta the GT86.

The new MX5 RF is much more fun to drive, or so people claim, however its worth noting that its still an only 2 seater with less trunk space.

The GT86 is just a bigger miata that works for daily driving better, but again, it has similar power to weight ratio and its still quite expensive.

everyone got mad it didn't have 400hp, weigh less than 200lbs and cost less than $15,000

But why don't people complain that the miata is too expensive, especially the RF?

even 250hp would have made it night and day different. this torque curve is abysmal, a miata is faster in a straight line, let alone everywhere else

I'm confused. An s2000 had less torque from 0-6k, but people loved it. The BRZ gets on power at 5k and people hate it?

They do. But the GT86 is much more famous.

The new miata is about 300 pounds heavier than the N/A, has a similar engine, and people dislike the new style. So they keep to the original, while they have little to compare the GT86 to.

people expect cars to improve in a decade and half. that s2000's redline was 1600RPM higher and it had shorter gears because of it.

compare the modern 2.0l subaru engine to a modern 1.8l engine and it loses even in the torque department

The s2000 also cost like what, bmw z4 money? If a cheaper car can almost equal a more expensive car in power and be the same weight, with backseats and a roof, there's your improvement.

Nice LARPing kid.

It's a good car. There's better in its class but not much. 20/25k for a used one here in the NL

>almost equal it in power
if you're still confused about why people "hate" the brz's engine, its 13 years later and the s2000 still has 20% more power

>The successor to a cheap slow rwd sports car is a cheap slow rwd sports car and this triggers me.

>BMW Z4 money

You mean the old Z4? sure.

You mean the new one? hell no.

And the S2000 is still more reliable than the BMW, more famous, and so on.

The GT86 gets less power, more weight, bigger pricetag, and less RPM.

>the successor to a cheap slow RWD DD car that happens to be a good sports car is an expensive slow RWD sports car marketed to be fast

So much is wrong with your statement.

The original AE86 is a corolla dude.

Corolla was never a sports brand. It became famous because it was a perfectly balanced sports edition of a corolla. Nothing else.

Here comes the GT86, marketed to be a successor, being a shit ton more expensive and being marketed heavily as this sporty lightweight car.

Except its overweight and overpriced compared to what the AE86 was back in its time.

actually, the s2000 was much cheaper. 30k msrp vs the z4 40k

I also know its next to impossible to get a brz for its msrp, but I don't have that data for the s2000 since it was so long ago

>fiesta st or focus st
>beating a rwd chasis
this is how I know you can't drive for shit and have never taken a corner at.more than 5mph in your life.
honestly all of you just stop posting if at any point in your argument there's gonna be anything even mildly related to straight line speed/performance.
jesus christ this fucking board... literally praising understeering pieces of shit.
next thing you're gonna tell me a new fwd civic is a better sports car than a lotus because it's faster in a straight line and has more hp... honestly, learn to drive, then come back here and tell me you can outcorner a rwd car with a fwd/awd one.

Nice trolling.

Guaranteed replies here.

the brz is actually well known to understeer

it's ok though, once you finish the second season of initial D you'll see not all the races are determined by drivetrain layout

wrong.

> It became famous because it was a perfectly balanced sports edition of a corolla

That's a funny way of saying Initial D.

>the brz is well known to understeer
>the best handling car in the pricerange in decades
>literally have to get in a porsche or 50k+ cars to get the same level of handling performance
ok

The S2K was shit on for having notorque, and it didn't have a dip like that where you can actually feel it losing torque in the wrong damn place. It's why Honda put the shitass F22C into the USDM AP2.

nice pasta.

Buddy the AE86 was well known WAY before initial D.

>the best handling car in the pricerange in decades

hype is not a good technical explanation

onehotlap.com/2013/01/the-gt86-dilemma-fr-s-or-brz.html

But not that well known. I could have got one for 500 dollars in 2005.

By that point the initial D show was already half way if not past half way in most parts of the world.

Initial D boosted the popularity, but sure as fuck the car was already popular. In japan it was the equal to what the 240sx was in the US.

>being a shit ton more expensive
i no rite?
$9k (base price) in 1985 dollars is totally cheap compared to $25k today...

You don't understand how media works do you?

You seem to be retarded so let me explain this to you:

Initial D boosted the AE86 popularity.

AE86 was already popular beforehand.

Do you need crayons or are we clear?

>more famous
Maybe on gook cartoon worshiping forums sure

at least you can buy it in other eu countries

it would have been fun to see them make a new sporty corolla with rwd to compete with hot hatches and especially the 1 series

passenger cant sit behind driver (seat too far back)
feet don't fit under seat (too close to the floor)

width is no issue
nor is height

Man you Turks have it rough

Because they want to keep it NA. Lmao do you actually believe it's because the engine is too wide? That's one of the funniest things I've read all week.

wtf
I paid for mine 28k euro, and it's with manuel.

Where the hell do you live.

Wtf does this mean? What specifically cant you do because its a boxer? Your not going to make any decent power unless you get forged rod and low comp pistons and thats required pulling the engine anyway. A bolt on SC also makes easy power and it is in no way more difficult because its a boxer.

Holland

Everything that is the slightest bit of fun get taxed to hell, all because achmed and his 7 kids need to get FREE housing, smartphones and other luxuries. This is the reason why I (and 90% of my countries workforce) drive small 1.2 liter shitboxes like pic related.

Same price in Norway. Toyota receives roughly the same amount of money per car, and the government takes the rest.
Import a car from a "cheaper" country, and they still demand you pay these taxes, even on well used cars that are several years old.

And here i thought, toyobaru is a cheap, nice car for everyone.

>the new model is heavier than the 90's deathtrap
who would know

>too wide to turbo

>too wide to turbo
Oh god.

I actually found that the power wasn't really an issue. I found that other things like the shitty interior were more important than many other things. The interior is extremely plastic and it's all cheaply done up and on the test drive many plastic parts were rattling and the road noise was awful compared to a civic imo. Also the sound system is worse than the wrx for some reason. Basically anything even remotely loud or had any amount of bass overtones sounded like shit and the speakers would start resonating which drowns out any and all sound quality. Using the radio or your own music at high way speeds is hard because there seems to be a fine line between sounding OK and sounding like shit which between the road noise makes it very very thin.

Also I'm very dissuaded that they put shitty prius tires on there instead of some real summer slicks. The car is about the same size as my civic and you'd think it'd come with tires suiting a sports car but it doesn't.

The handling is amazing this car had no problems with sharp quick turns and it's very difficult to upset the balance of the car since it's so low to the ground. The transmission is Subarus own and it's rock solid although I wish it revved higher. I disregard the lack of raw acceleration in the car because I know it wasn't made for straight lines but it definitely feels like it's lacking when you come to anythibg that's remotely a straight away. You won't be winning any red light duels with this.

The price imo is a little steep. This car isn't worth the 27k price tag and I wish it was 3k cheaper and I could warrant a new purchase. You can find one used about 2 years old for under 20k and since the car hadn't changed at all in the 5+ years it's been around you aren't missing out on anything new in the 2017 version I drove. Any change is mostly cosmetic with a few more safety features and the like, nothing big

Boi are you fucking stupid

The wrx has the same engine and it had a turbo. Never the less tons of other people have put turbos in theirs and they work amazingly

How fucking new are you? People were calling it the God Machine sarcastically

I'm not sure why people keep call this car expensive. You could afford this car in a 10 dollar an hour job. It's 25k not 27k.

The Miata with the LSD are 28.8k so that right there doesn't even make them comparable to each other. In a straight line the 2 cars are the same speed. Not sure you guys have seen the numbers with the same rubber but the FRS/BRZ/86 beats it.

Now onto the so called "torque dip". From what I've seen on dyno charts there are a few NA cars with this so called dip so is it even relevant at this point?

The car is cheap RWD with decent performance. Stop being absolutely ridiculous.

>Too wide to turbo

Furthermore, if you're going ham surely anons aren't so bad at choosing shift points that they'd shift back into the range of it, right?

All I learn from threads about the twins is that power is the only thing that matters to Veeky Forums

Lol no turbo

> $10/hr job
Yeah, if you live with your fucking parents.

The ND is superior as a performance platform in every way.

86 owners are also easy to pick on because most of them are young and don't know much about cars.

it's like talking to someone that considers themselves an "anime fan" when all they've watched is naruto and bleach

Adjusted for inflation the original 86 would cost $20,000 of today's money.

The difference people forget about is that it was actually a realistic amount of money for a younger person to afford in the 80s, and by the time the 90s rolled around you could get used examples to modify and track for way cheap compared to modern 86 prices. Obviously the modern one hasn't been around for long enough to tank in price but that's still a decade away and it's only going to get harder to make money.

dude why would Turks even use euros?
also toyota doesnt even sell that shit here and the used ones go for around 29k

It's only 24k euro in Abu Dhabi

>blaming foreigners
>whole country votes for the same corrupt VVD/PVDA every 4 years

saved

upboated.

>too wide to turbo

I didn't

oh really

>hey now cars have to be safe! that'll make them heavier but don't you want to be safe!
>why yes you may ride a 400lb, 150hp bicycle with about as much cornering grip as a honda civic on all seasons in nothing but swim trunks and a half-helmet, it's your life duderino

>60 grand for toyobaru
Thanks, but I think I'll take 1 year old m3/m5/m6/c63/cls63/amg gt with under 10k miles

It's 35k Australian.

Had a small following but not a great one, outside of Japan that is.

I'm actually old enough to remember btw.

never Driven one. I like the idea of owning one.

Downsides. has no balls, not fun to drive slow, Shit interior, mods are a lot of money for short gains, Not a great price, Brakes fade fast, tires are shit.

Up sides: Great driver connection, fun to drive fast, great handling, some practicality. decent MPG for a sports car

As much as I think I would like to own the car something stops me from really having my heart in it. I would much rather have a Rx8 for 5k. Even though they are pretty similar on paper. RX8 has a way nicer interior, brakes, tyranny, handling, rev line.

At the end of the day I just think the price is too high for the FRS. The motor is boring. They really should of put a small v6 in. the boxer has shit noise, and a shit power curve.
If this thing had a vr6 is would be a god machine. I could live with the power, but it would gain so much with only 20-30 more HP.

Nobody cares, holy shit let this bait thread die already

butthurt BRZ owners getting triggered.

>Unequal length headers (aftermarket)
>not the GOAT 4 cyl exhaust

Again, Spending loads for minuscule gains.

the faggotry of BRZ fucks.

>It's close to 30k and it's got the performance of a $100k

Don't even own one, it's upsetting seeing OP continue to constantly bump his shit thread to front page

God,

Go spend 3k on tires and rims so you can gain .05 sec around the track; Watching Mustang Chad wipe the floor with you for way less.