QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

A place to ask your short automotive related questions.

>ProTip - A simple Google search may actually answer your question.

Also go through the thread and look for questions that you may know an answer to.

Previous Thread hit rev limiter -

why do people walk their dog on side streets and expect us to slow down for them

>cars are so over regulated they all have to be overly heavy, expensive, and shit on gas
>motorcycles have none of these problems
Why is the government so shit?

>why do maximas speed down side streets it's not the boulevard
t. my doggo needs to shit
b/c gov't wants you to squid your brain case all over pavement
>taxpayers drive cars

i sold that thing last month

I'm changing my spark plug wires does it matter which side of the wire goes on the distributor and which side goes on the spark plug? I know they have to be in the correct order and all but are the wires themselves reversible?

Bump

my brother just turned 17, I want to buy him a car because my parents are retards blowing their money and won't get him one even though they can afford it (they didn't get me one either)

point is, what's the best student-tier vehicle I can buy for around $4000?

Depends on countless factors.

nice choice senpai it looks clean!

what are the most common causes of brake pulse? old tires, air in brake lines, warped rotors, worn pads/shoes, seized caliper? how can i diagnose the issue without doing an entire brake rebuild?

Since you gave almost no details at all I can't give you any specific advice.
>but
I got just the thing for you senpai.
>p.s. you are a 10/10 person for buying your 17 brother a car. Props to you user.

I have a 1998 Bonneville with almost 200k miles, just started reading random misfiring and fuel recirculation. I just changed the spark plugs & the cables look good, will test those tomorrow. Any advice?

something with four doors, no more than 200 hp, good mpg (20+ combined) and which isn't an obscure snowflake should do the trick

Warped rotors 90% of the time

Would I get in trouble for stabbing a road rager and his buddy who are waiting outside of my house that got butthurt by my driving in the morning?
Live in USA, by the way.

yes. call the cops.

Is there a single reason I shouldn't buy a new model Civic Si to DD?

I test drove one today and thought it was just about perfect. It fit me like a glove.

is the rev hang as bad as it seems

i filled up my tank with 93 octane gas for regular price because my gas station was out of regular gas.

Maybe it's just placebo, but I feel like my gear changes and acceleration more smoother now. Does that make sense? It's just a non-turbo 2.0L Mazda3. What difference does it actually make, placebo aside?

the engine does knock a bit when it's chilly though. It's still warm right now, but would 93 octane gas help in those cases?

It took me a second to get used to. I asked the salesman about it and he said it was the turbo, but he's a salesman so I don't know.

It's bad but manageable, but it doesn't matter if you're driving hard and power-shifting and if you're just cruising, you just have to train yourself to shift slightly slower. After a few shifts I was as smooth as I am with anything else.

pick any of corolla, civic, and mazda3. With a $4K budget, you should be able to get one of those econoboxes with 50K miles, give or take a dozen K depending on your area.

a nicer car can wait until they're 25 unless insurance is really cheap in your area anyways.

Depends on if you live in florida

>BMW 325XiT E46 with 198k miles

It's pretty much the exact car with the exact color combo I want, but I'd rather have RWD, and I'm pretty hesitant about the mileage. Should I stay away from it? I'm guessing all the maintenance I'll have to do when I get it will probably add up to as much, or more, than what I pay for the car.

How can I stop my brakes from squealing? I thought I needed new pads so I took my truck to the shop. After looking at it, they said there's plenty of life left on my pads and the issue is that I have self-adjusting drums. They claim the noise will eventually go away, but it's seriously like nails on a chalkboard to me.

My handbreak doesn't spring back down so I have to lower it with intent and then let go of the button to make sure that it's down.
What do you call this and where can I find more information pertaining to this and fixing it?

My car is steering right on acceleration and then centering back left on closed throttle/no brakes. 1987 mr2. All wheels and tires are the same size, air pressure all the same, suspension in the front looks good. The car kind of lifts up to that right corner of the car, and it feels like its happening in the back (whatevers causing it) than upfront

wtf is going on?? btw i checked alignment too, nothings changed

kek if this isn't bait
yes if your car is knocking sometimes you should put in higher octane fuel, and the gear changes/acceleration improving are (probably) because your ecu was pulling timing because of low octane fuel before. Now it's running how it was always supposed to run. Nice carhack you discovered senpai

Snap oversteer

The color combo you like will come along again user. You will regret not holding out for a lower mileage rwd one. Trust yourself on this one.

I honestly don't know. It's an E46 wagon, 5 speed, gray exterior, red and black interior, and there's no sunroof. Pretty rare combo, but I think I'm going to stay away because of the mileage. Shame.

For TIME ATTACK ONLY
I need a starter car:
Mx5
Rx7 fc

Which whan

lol but no really please its really annoying and is more prominent (or only?) happens around highway speeds

So, would pic related make a decent project truck? Assuming I could get it for the right price? Truck is really clean, but motor clearly needs help and/or just flzt out replacing. Sounds potentially like rod knock or a ground off cam lobe or something. Engine has no power unless you get on it and when you DO give it hell there's an odd metal chattering sound. Almost like valvetrain noise. No CEL because of course there isn't.

Oops forgot pic

Naturally I forget the pic. Fuckin phone.

y u do dis?

volvo 240

Tall guy interested in Miata. I'd like to know how much room I can expect to gain from a side mounted bucket seat in an NB. Google pulls up a lot of anecdotal evidence but no figures.

PS. I am willing to give up the sliders.

Can someone run this VIN number for me and see if its been salvaged or something

JF1GR7E6XBG807359

What wipers do you guys recommend as a long-term replacement for old worn out traditional blades? I'm looking at TRICO Onyx blades but they seem a bit overkill and expensive since it doesn't really rain here where I live (coastal southern california).

Honda Accord or Toyota Camry

Seriously that's all any fucking one needs especially in that age.

Those are pretty much the best option.
If you never use the wipers get the walmart cheap-ass-special. If you do use them occasionally, get those trico ones or the bosch icon beam style ones. Both last forever and work really well.

3k civic

Thank you user.

I have the front bumper off of my car at the moment, having to do some repair work. There is a foam bumper absorber between the plastic bumper cover and the metal of the car body. Can I take that out and make the same basic shape out of roll cage tube and put the plastic bumper cover over that? I want to fuck someone's shit up the next time they pull out in front of me without looking, but with minimal damage to my own ride. Is taking the foam out and putting a metal structure in its place legal?

Or

I really don't use this car anymore, I've been thinking about cutting it up, having some fun, and making something cool out of it. Maybe something akin to the movie death proof. I'd love to have it fully reinforced, but unnoticeable to anyone outside the car. Is a tube chassis car street legal? Live in ky.

Pic semi related, shit like this, but hidden under bodywork and thin plastic covers and stuff.

God tier suggest, ty based user
I already have a protege as a dd. I could probably just Autocross that

DDing a 2013 Ford Escape with the 1.6 ecoboost.

Will it catch on fire like the Ford Kugas from South Africa and Australia, or are these slightly different?

I have run into overheating problems in the past, and the car goes into limp mode. I also had it taken in for a recall related to the issue a few months ago. Need to take it in for another recall related to the door latches...

I'm just hoping for some longevity out of this car.

if your car is unibody you are just going to end up fucking your car even more with a ridgid bumper like that

I recently got a new fan installed because Vegas traffic in Vegas heat fucks my car up. Everything is nice and smooth and now my new fan isn't working suddenly. Everything is plugged in and no way the fan can die that suddenly, I've barely had it for a month. What could the actual problem be? I drive a 2004 Jetta.

what's this protector bit called in the stores?

electric bits usually break down early if they're going to break down in normal use.
did you jiggle the wire connectors or look at the fan electrics to see if it looks burned anywhere?

How much can I get for selling my kidney? What car should I get for the money?

depends, what state/country?

I was thinking of servicing the timing belt myself. It's hard to come by information about the Ford TDDi information so I bought the Haynes service and repair manual.

In the chapter for the renewal of the timing belt it states that after I remove the old timing belt I should also remove the camshaft sprocket just to reinstall it. Why on earth would I do that?

Albania.

normally, you change the sprockets every other time you change the belt(s).
they wear out eventually.

I'll give you my Renault for a day(night) with(in) your mom/sister.

Nah, I don't want ur shitbox.

doesn't say replace, only that it'll be needed to preserve the camshaft timing. However the camshaft is already locked by a tool together with the flywheel. I don't understand.

I'm in the market for a 2007-2009 pick up truck. 4x4, crew cab, no luxury (no leather seats, no sun roof).

What's a good model for those years or one to avoid?

change the coolant, use more antifreeze
70/30 mix should do

Changed the battery in my ford KA, now the radio is locked, how do I get the radio to go into service mode to give me its serial number (6000AUX cd)? Dont feel like trying to get the whole thing out to see the sticker.

Listing says automatic but this looks like a 5 speed, anyone else? It's a 2005 dodge neon

call a dealership
sellers are dumb, probably mis-listed
or it's a scam and those are random pics

Good lord, that's dirty

My motorcycle has a cable connected to the battery for charging it during the winter.

Problem is I bought one of those handheld battery charger from Ctek but the plug doesn't fit.

Can anyone tell me what plug is this and what would fit it?

Thanks.

Odd that the battery tender didn't fit, all of them that I have seen come with that connector.
IIRC it is referred to as an SAE connector.

I just checked and there wasn't any SAE connector included with my Ctek charger. Shame, looks like I have to buy an additional adapter from that brand.

Thanks!

What cars would you guys reccomend as a first car for a 18-20 year old with a low budget?

What is the best site for comprehensive car/car deal search?
I want to find every single new Ford fiesta st on dealership lots in my area with description of package selected and a quote.
I don't want to call every dealership in the area so that they can enter me into a Dealersocket database.
Already made a mistake of submitting my name on Ford's site, but instead of a list they gave me a page with nothing and a dealership's bdc monkey is now trying to call me. That's not what I want.

What would you buy if you're a fag with 2 thousand dollars looking for a dd that you can mod and drive in rally-x once you get some cash flow? Got a job and all, but I'm in school and I'll have a better job once in certified and all.

Celica

I know that summer performance tires are what you should get for better handling, hands down. But is there any point to getting higher performance category All-season stuff? I'm in Massachusetts and I don't want to play the game of "when should I change to winter tires" or "when should i change back to summer tires".

You mean like the newest ones, right?

God damn, dude. Every celica in 100 miles of me is sold in Spanish, wtf?

Mexicans are poor, celicas are cheap

I feel racist but I wonder if I can just post on Facebook and ask any friends to facilitate a sale, I tried to buy a truck from a Mexican once and it went horribly, the dude called me 7 days in a row with a different family member interpreting for him, each one with the same poor grasp on English...celica can make it in auto/rallyx though? Any specific trim?

Gts is the best one, it's got awd and I think 170hp. The engines in them have a decent aftermarket, not as much as Hondas but there's a good bit like cams and other goodies

I don't think they made very many awd celicas, definitely none in the 5th, 6th or 7th gen and definitely not for 2k usd. I'll check it out though

What is this car?

Rx8

riced out fd rx7
ironically no matter how riced an FD looks, they never look awful
weird stuff

RX7

R u dum bro

>fd rx7
thanks user!

That's an rx8 you imbeciles. Notice the curvature next to the tail lights

Umm...

You really think its one of these?

Are you blind?

How do I get the best fuel economy? Always use the highest gear possible to keep the revs low?
Accelerate quickly and shift into a higher gear asap (what I do now, I go 2-4th all the time), or go through all the gears and accelerate slowly?
The car has a simple 1.3l petrol engine and 5 speed manual, no turbos and no trip computer to show me instant fuel consumption.

cheapest and best way to secure spliced wiring?

Accelerate slowly, and don't stop at signs when possible.

Yep quickly through the gears without being too aggressive and then sitting at low revs in top gear

I try to use the brakes as little as possible.
I'm getting 5.9l/100km or about 40 US MPG, but I want to see how far I can stretch it, owner's manual says it can do 4.9l/100km (48MPG).

Those twisty things

Check out some hypermiling forums/guides, that is a lifestyle for some people. Don't bother trusting manufacturers MPG ratings.

>Always use the highest gear possible to keep the revs low?

No this isn't always good. You can end up with too low revs and having to plant your foot to the floor to accelerate anywhere. At best burning more fuel, at worst lugging the engine.

>Accelerate quickly and shift into a higher gear asap

Also no. Just accelerate smoothly and gently. Change up early but not so early you end up under 1300.

Avoid the brakes at all costs. Anticipate red lights ahead and junctions and engine brake up as much as possible (when you get totally off the throttle in a manual you burn no fuel, but clutch in and you burn fuel to idle while you coast uselessly along)

I avoid lugging the engine at all costs, I know it's bad for the engine.
Not sure if the ECU is modern enough to cut off the fuel when using engine breaking however.

You car would have to be absolutely ancient not to do this. Like carburettor old.

Even if it doesn't, it would use a pittance of fuel compared to idling.

Where can I learn how to make my skids hektik? I don't want to be *that* guy who slams into a mailbox on the street