/stsg/ - Starsector General

Previous Thread: →
>What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8a-RC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

Other urls found in this thread:

bitbucket.org/ToddoftheYear/degenerate-portrait-pack/downloads/Degenerate Portrait Pack.7z
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.0
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12493.0
fractalsoftworks.com/category/art/
fractalsoftworks.com/2010/11/29/art-ship-design-the-onslaught/
fractalsoftworks.com/2011/01/25/modern-ship-designs/#more-160
fractalsoftworks.com/2013/12/30/ships-stories/
fractalsoftworks.com/2016/05/15/developing-the-mora-class-carrier/
fractalsoftworks.com/2015/07/26/the-trouble-with-greebles/
fractalsoftworks.com/2014/05/16/let-me-draw-you-a-starsector-ship/
fractalsoftworks.com/2010/12/23/pew-pew/
pastebin.com/QEQjbeLL
pastebin.com/nbHxnqZc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw this general is on life support

Alex is kill.

who isn't?

we need fresh blood

STOP DYING THREAD

modding other people's mods. nice

>thread already ded before 0.8.1 is even out
See you guys in 2020 when 0.8.2 is out.

do not even mention 0.8.1
alex monitor this threads and add 3 days to release date each time anybody ask about it.

You think he gives a fuck about us?
Right now I'm waiting for Ironclads/Steelclads to get updated, but considering that Okim's abandoned it and guy working on it doesn't seem very bright not to mention he added his ugly faction to it

modders who ask their mods to not be modded are the biggest hypocritical cucks there are

What's wrong with changing colors? You just slap a designation on it and it's free content and takes 1/50th the time

you sarcasm detector got a false positive boy

my false sarcasm got a detector kid

you gonna pay child support?

only cucks pay child support

thread dies when it hits the bump limit and nobody makes a new one

It doesn't help that pretty much all the mods which will be updated for .8 are updated for .8 and Nex isn't on that list. There isn't much to discuss.

t. black

Well, I haven't exactly been unaware of your guys complaints but generally it's taken a form that's made it hard to address. You had a pretty good take though, so thanks. Possible solutions are leaning towards this shade of turquoise/verdigris I guess.

Also, regarding the weapons, they're probably part of what I'll spending most of next update on; most of the original files, particularly for the older weapons, got lost in a backup failure while updating my machine some years ago, and so they'll need to be redone from scratch. The CEPC's in particular need a serious going over, and have for a while; I've been kinda putting it off, though.

Best loadout for this shitters? HVD is ok but Heavy Mauler is too inaccurate at this range. I've got some other mods so not only vanilla weapons accepted.

Actually really like that deeper color.

I personally don't think the way the ships are designed is distasteful, but the weapons definitely have too much contrast.

My suggestion would be to make every weapon's color scheme roughly that of the scaffolding (that shade of gray/red the weapon mounts have). Might need some further adjustment and restyling of the ships themselves if you REALLY want it to mesh with the vanilla game, but it would solve the most glaring design flaw without breaking the already established aesthetics of the faction.

Worst about SY weapons is that they're all a shade of gray-brown-ish that literally no other weapon uses, which means it's always jarring when mounted on anything but SY ships.

Depends on what you want to use them for. HVDs are probably the best bet...there just aren't all that many good kinetic/ballistics

ok now paint it grey with some dull orange markings and give it a phase cloak

>fucking three times range for everything
That's why I ask, it's a fucking artillery platform.
I use HVDs + Sledge Cannon combo, but it ends up not having the best DPS.

What mods is it from?

bitbucket.org/ToddoftheYear/degenerate-portrait-pack/downloads/Degenerate Portrait Pack.7z

Generally the significant range means you never have good DPS. If you had significant range and significant DPS then the only thing missing is speed and maneuverability. Unless you want to run needlers or something, there isn't much else to it, and I don't think that thing even has a Large slot does it?

yeah. you don't have a bad mod, jsut that people on this ib let their autism og off about everything, and you mod is too "flashy" for the overall SS aesthetics that favour very toned down colours

in fact, someone should make a thread in the forum thread about colour doctrines. it's amazing how hard it changes the athmosphere of the game..

mind if i post it on official forum?

>speed and maneuvrability
It can't turn. It can't slow down or speed up. It only goes forward at 40 u/s.
Anyways I'll stick to those two then, they're good for fire support outta nowhere.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.0

Nice description.

In the same vein, one of the reasons Neutrino is so popular depite being an engrish mess with ridiculous weaponry is because their ships look good enough to be taken as vanilla deisgns

That's what I mean, the three "aspects" of a strong ship is how much range it is, how much damage it can deal, and how easily it can skirt away from other ships. Even when you have 2 of the 3 aspects, because of how stupid the AI can be, you generally already have a super strong ship.

Well, the world is in your hands user
If I wasn't a lazy fuck I'd make a design overview on vanilla ships from in-game perspective, kinda. I didn't think much about it until I noticed some ship design are very similar and logical.

That looks alot better though as i said honestly it's the weapons that are the biggest issue due to them not matching anything that isn't a mainline Shadowyards vessel, Even the Pirate/Persean/Mod variants cant use them without them looking badly out of place.

Command console in a Poseidon for example and slap some SY weapons on and holy shit does it look bad and they don't look any better with Vanilla/Other mod guns on them either so it gets worse and worse.

Methinks that SY green tips would be ok, but they also have brown-grey of them, they literally have almost the same style, very different from vanilla.

It's more that you can take Neutrino weapons and slap them on other ships without it looking like a garish mess and vice versa.

Though when you're colour scheme's grey on grey with a few bits of white paint it's probably alot easier to mix and match.

Don't get me wrong the mod is interesting and the ships are fine stat wise it's just if you have a SY ship you HAVE to use the SY weapons or it looks bad.

That's actually a REALLY nice color.

goddamnit that's aesthetic.

Also, pls redo the CEPCs, pls.

Pls?

i dont think weapon colours are that much of an issue.

Diable, and prettymuch all non-grey themed packs has its own coloured guns which also look out of place on non diable ships.

Doesn't matter had sex!

Looks good, I like those curves and that fighter bay I think I'm seeing. Whatever you do with CEPCs, I wouldn't mind seeing a large one.

I also really like the hot pink skin, would fight as an IBB.

That's an issue too. Ironclads (yeah, I like it, foight me m8) has colourful ships of many styles, but most of their weapons are much more boring and blend with all ships decently.

Well, I do like the colors on the ship, and not that bothered by the weapon designs.

>What are Recsons

consider the following

tritach leave

with all the reworks i forgot how the old colours looked, so i dug up the oldest version i could find on my comp.
This is 5.25 i think.
And yeah, my issue was mainly the neon brightness rather than the colour itself.

Also looking through old mods, citadel was betty good looking too.

I think that's only the case with some of the smaller Neutrino weapons. A lot of the larger varieties look ridiculous when you put it on other ships because they just don't fit proportionally.

the basic design overview for ships is actually very noticeable

lowtech ships have this in common: are all old, have a similar armour setup that favours orange armour "plates" and semicircular designs (i guess to deflect bullets? no idea, but the front of all ships, even the onslaught to a degree, follow an oval form)

midline ships look much more like your classic "starship": triangular designs with metal-ish beige plating. the most important part of this design is that contrasted with low tech ships, which are bsically giant armours with guns, these are observably modular. specially noticeable with the designs of the sunder and hammerhead, eagle and falcon, and the carrier cruiser. in short: midline ships are easily improvised through modular design.

hi tech ships seem to be very unmodular - there's no really visible "plating" like midlines and lowtechs have, so it's safe to assume they are built from a single pieces or something, furthermore they have lots techie anthenas (the astral is specially guilty of this), and they are have "function specific" designs that often tend to be assymetrical

ultimately, the only real design differences between ships are this:

1. hegemony "mainstay" fleets: low tech and midlines that follow certain plated design and colour aesthetics

2. high tech fleets that follow non-modular design and function dependent assimetry, often designedby tri tach.

3. Outliers (oil ships and lore specifics ships like the kites, shuttles and starliners - designed by companies not mentioned elsewhere with very old pre hyperdrive designs or simply non military applications, that look designed for that specific purpose or actually meant to look "sellable" like the kite and the starliners

Neutrino easily looks like midline designs with their modular looks (and a couple grand in paint jobs), while SY looks high tech with clearly specialized designs and even more money on paintjobs

yeah, now that you mention it it does look too similar to tritach ships. I should try something else

Figured I should post it myself if I ever end up updating it (0.8.1)

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12493.0

godDAMN this looks great

it's amazing what you can get by tweaking colour balance in photoshop. the lights look great althought they meshed together

indeed, what RE recsons?
neither google nor google translate could tell me

Do portrait packs really need to be updated at all? Shouldn't it just be adding a bunch of jpgs to the database or something

>Neutrino refit

the other user was right the contrast w/ the lights looks great

maybe a more olive drab color or a faded green to differentiate from other ships/mods

Literally all I would have to change is:
"gameVersion":"0.8a"
to
"gameVersion":"0.8.1a"

>10 different versions of one girl

Good job my autist dude.

>visual design
NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL
I've been concerned mostly about gun sizes, arcs, systems, roles
For example, Enforcer, Hammerhead and Medusa are all all-rounder destroyers, but all have their respective epoch's way in mind: Enforcer is an armoured brick with many guns, but is still mobile as destroyer should be; Hammerhead has the weakest defences, while it can briefly outgun every other destroyer; and Medusa has good shield and flux, is fairly mobile, but isn't as well armed as its competitors.
Additionally all have at least 2 forward-facing medium hardpoints or turrets, all have at least 2 forward-facing missile-capable slots, all have all-around PD mounts. They're basically "Basic Destroyer" mk1, mk2 & mk3.

>citadel
I miss that mod, I wonder what happened to the dev, I'd like to see P9 updated as well.

People only bother complain about things that they are passionate about. Shadowyards is easily one of the best mods for the game and has been for a very long time, the aesthetics just don't blend with vanilla as much as people would like. Simple as that.

Jesus fuck the OPness

take 2

tried to differentiate it from neutrino and tri-tach color schemes. is the flesh colored armor too boring?

Actually pretty nice, and LOVE the contrast from the hull lights.

Theres already a wealth of info and insight on the devblog about design choices. jsut go through the "art" tag.
They are good readign too.
fractalsoftworks.com/category/art/

A few examples:
fractalsoftworks.com/2010/11/29/art-ship-design-the-onslaught/
fractalsoftworks.com/2011/01/25/modern-ship-designs/#more-160
fractalsoftworks.com/2013/12/30/ships-stories/
fractalsoftworks.com/2016/05/15/developing-the-mora-class-carrier/
fractalsoftworks.com/2015/07/26/the-trouble-with-greebles/
fractalsoftworks.com/2014/05/16/let-me-draw-you-a-starsector-ship/
fractalsoftworks.com/2010/12/23/pew-pew/

I actually realy like most of the blog entries. It's nice to see that actual thought goes into doing things a certain way (even if i dont agree)

OLIVE
L
I
V
E

DRAB
R
A
B

I don't really see it that way. I mainly hread on the lines of ballistic - exp. tech like phasing - shields - energy - super shields

I guess there's some correlation, though not much. The enforcer is a flying brick with 4 times as much destructive power than the hammerhead and the medusa, plus the medusa is a flying balloon that gets outlfuxed every time and is only good because they have the opportunity to drop antimatter or heavy blasters then fuck off faster than any other ship. It cannot possibly accomplish the same function a dominator and hammerhead do, which is hold a line with big shields or big armour.

In that sense, the only "structured" ship designs I see is midline, where there's a clear difference between classes anf class functions. Low tech functions are basically "tank. glass cannon. bigger tank. carrier tank" while hi tech goes all over the place with phasers and entirely new ship functions/doctrine

Do those templar cores have any use or just vendor fodder?

pretty good, reminds me for geth form mass effect, and as said: those lights give it a a sinister undertone which compliments the curved desings perfectly.

Actually, i think changing the brown "underbelly" parts to other colours might be the key.

I thought the Geth were more a dark silvery metallic colour rather than plain grey?

Enforcer actually loses half of the time to Hammerhead - as in, when the latter is on AAF, where it can fire equivalent of 4 medium and 4 small guns. Medusa gets less guns, but it is much more capable of dictating the engagement.
Though: my experiences about Medusa are mostly either player skills-boosted or with it using some ballistic weapons (railguns basically), which might be making my experience wrong. I've thought of it holding a line, but not alone, with generally being constantly dicking everybody with phase skimming.
Low tech ships are mostly METAL BOXES because they mostly pre-date such pansy things like shields, they had not to die somehow. Even then, Lasher is a mastery epoch ship, but isn't very durable, it's mostly fast and bristling with guns (ironically it's the core epoch ships that are durable).
Also you don't have to agree with me, those are just my gut feelings, I have the right to be wrong.

release the fucking update Alex

BTW I like green, it's just that it clashes with SS, which doesn't use as striking colours. Mostly dirty spacecraft with odd clean Omens/Odysseys, bright blue and high-tech expansion ships and very dark phase ships. SY gives us bright green-green-brown ships... With patterns, whereas in vanilla patterns are a rarity.

i'm maining a medusa without battleskills.

I simply carry too much firepower for anything frigate. they can't outflux me, and two of anything hits destroy them. But against a hammerhead or a enforcer I require hit & run tactics. overload, fire missiles/blasters, retreat. They can't kill me if I play it safe, but I take a lot of time and on multiple ship engagements it's suicide.

Anythign bigger requires support or crazy manouvering else I get outfluxed or/and killed on two shots. With a hammerhead, that's much different. A hammerhead holds it's own even if it gets heavily damaged. Give me someone who can keep enemy shields under fire and I will overload them.

By far the biggest counter to a medusa is the vigilance due to lack of armour and good shields. neither the enforcer nor the hammerhead have this problem and can fight a vigilance with no problems.

mettul boksis

beyond that, I don't really see much correlation between wieght and class designs they are all different and no two ship the same weight but of different techs have the same role.

this also suffers from being way too low detailf for SS standards

this will be the last one. tried to stick with the shadowyards color scheme, but I ended up making the armor have a metallic sheen so it looks like a bug carapace

That's weird, I don't have any issues like that. Granted, I use Medusas with railguns and pulse lasers/phase lances for AI and me, which can somewhat not fall behind in flux war.
When manually controlled I have much more freedom in a Medusa than in Hammerhead because while Hammerhead's got many guns, Medusa is very good at striking, being mobile and, with railguns, actually building up other ships' flux.
That's from ironclads where everything's like that, just to show that I like green.

>I think it fits SS even worse than normal
>but fuck it's fucking good
>y u do dis brain
Besides that this time lights don't stand out at all, while all irregularities in plating are much more visible (gaps, shadows), which makes it more 3D-ish.
Jesus fucking Christ

I'm not sure if i like it or not, the back section loses lots of noticeable details since it's dark on dark,
Maybe break up the gree on the front section a bit more and add something to the back?
Or maybe try to experiment with the yellow bits on the back.

The big problem with it is that during a hectic battle you cannot properly judge the ship's true size due to the back section blending in with the background if there is no objects (planets, etc) to contrast.
If you make it so that both the front, back and sides can be easily discerned then the problem goes away.

that's the problem with the shiny armor, its harder to make the lights contrast with it
I see what your saying, but I really don't think I'm gonna go to all the trouble. I'm not the mod author, just some guy dicking around in photoshop.

needs purple

Who else is so bored at the beginning of the battle that you spin your flagship around for lulz?

overriden medusa with hardened subsytems, 2 pulse lasers, 2 IR lasers, 2 light machineguns, extended shields and enough vents to be able to fire nonstop, the rest into cpacitros; facefucks even cruisers (unless you stay in range of ALL their guns at once for extended time).

Run at them and ram your shields together, blink sideways once, and never stop shooting. even if they are packing serious heat, you just max out their flux so fast that by the time you your shield would be in danger, they dont have the flux to do shit against you so you just drop the shield (still shooting) and basicaly vent while still shooting, and the AI is still paralyzed. By the time it has enough flux to be a threat again, you have an empty bar of shield again, and still shooting.

Fun as fuck.

The iridescence does give it a real interesting effect. Not sure it's quite what I'd be going for, but it does look quite nice.

> just some guy dicking around in photoshop.

Teach me your ways, looks simple enough and I'd fuck around ships for fun here and there

The point is that it looks nice, but you can't really make ships like that. Stupid aesthetics.

When will this fucking shield-toggle be added, goddamit

I was trying to make a variant of a ship with Ship&Weapon Editor, but the game crashes when I make the ship appear whith console commands, why could this be?

The ship editor sometimes corrupt the image path, you can start by checking that.

Loadout guide:

pastebin.com/QEQjbeLL

Ship guide:

pastebin.com/nbHxnqZc

and dumping pics like always cause OP is a faggot who cant do it right

its outdated
you can use it for most shit but rest you need finish manually

is there a mod to make the map bigger?

>wanting more emptyness

Makes it more realistic I guess

"most shit" being?