Can anyone ID this engine on my 69 baja bug? Its apparently a 1466cc engine, but I can't find any indications...

Can anyone ID this engine on my 69 baja bug? Its apparently a 1466cc engine, but I can't find any indications. I ask so I can look up service manuals as its leaking oil slightly at the bottom. I'll post more pictures. Any help is appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Type-1500-1963-1973-Haynes-Manuals/dp/0900550848/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504068644&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=haynes volkswagen 1500cc
amazon.com/Beetle-Karmann-through-Models-Haynes/dp/1850107297/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MDXZGNX13XD13YQKVQWF
youtube.com/watch?v=TVtjQQcIoFg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oil leak

no clue but it looks like it would be so easy to slap a turbo on those headers

side view

what kind of oil are you running? Im not into super old cars, but my uncle said that running dynthetic in old engines like that can cause leaks? hes a VW guy and owns a type 3

If it's not leaking oil then there's no oil in it.

No idea if its bs but personally in my 96 maxima, when i was running synthetic oil i was leaking from both valve covers. when i went down to blend the leaks stopped
something about synthetic oil being a more effective detergent so its more likely to clear out debris that is partially gumming up your gaskets and preventing them from leaking

never heard of a 1466cc at all closest I know of is a 1470cc

take off the pulley and see if its leaking from there though Im guessing the oil pump is the problem or if youre lucky just the cover

Id look into that and some new gaskets

Previous owner says he used kendall 20-40

Is there any resource I can find that refers to a service manual of some sort? I can't find a single makers mark

this is for air cooled VWs

but if you want to id it then here you go

and wowsers I think you may want a new exhaust and a nice tune up on that thing

Forgive me, but how do I find bore and stroke?

you wouldnt be able to without opening the engine up and getting it measured

but it should be a 1500 going by the plate which is 1493cc

Any idea about the possible maker? All I find on ebay are generic engines with no makers? Do repair manuals just not exist for these things?

?

its a Volkswagen engine

I just found a maker mark, thanks man

The crankshaft of a beetle engine is unbalanced, so you wouldn't reap much benefit from that unless you like rebuilding the engine a fuckton.

Would this be the appropriate manual for my alleged 1500cc motor?

amazon.com/Type-1500-1963-1973-Haynes-Manuals/dp/0900550848/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504068644&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=haynes volkswagen 1500cc

no that is for a Type 3

amazon.com/Beetle-Karmann-through-Models-Haynes/dp/1850107297/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MDXZGNX13XD13YQKVQWF

you can balance them just fine

youtube.com/watch?v=TVtjQQcIoFg

things are no joke when worked up

I noticed that but the engine on my current 69 has the 1500cc engine from the Type 3, at least I believe so. I'm going to check in the morning if I can find some engine serials to know for sure what I have.

nah its a Type 1 1500

you can see the plate in

Holy shit it is, thank you user. Much appreciated.

This book right here. Also all them engines leak a little. Have an 1800cc 70 beetle myself