How did all of you learn manual so easily? I've been at it for 5 months straight, almost every day after work...

How did all of you learn manual so easily? I've been at it for 5 months straight, almost every day after work, and still I panic and freeze up when I have to pull into an intersection or do any complicated shifting. I've been grinding the clutch so much that I have almost burned through it. Considering going automatic. Any tips?

It sounds like you aren't trying different things when the last thing you did didn't work.

You should probably do that.

I learned to drive on racing simulators, then I practiced my theory and technique in real life.

Sims can't teach you clutch control, but they can instill confidence in your shifting ability in yourself.

Do you know anyone who drives manual? Have them teach you. If you don't know anyone, consider going to a driving school or just watching a lot of youtube videos.

But really, practice going fast. That's the fastest way that I learned.

Takes a while man, don't give up.

Well, my first car was and still is a manual Honda with a slippery clutch; you can imagine how hard it is to stall with that combo. And it was a half hour drive to school through east buttfuck, New England. You get a bit of practice that way

This desu, it took me half an hour to get it moving from a start when I was learning, but while moving I had no problem shifting thanks to so many hours on Forza.

lol

op, if you can't figure it out in 5 months you should stop trying, some people can do it, some can't.

>5 months
Fucking pathetic, stay the fuck away from cars.

Did some practice with my father when he was in my state for a few days, he definitely gave me some good advice. The main issue I am having now is I sometimes pop the clutch and stall, which fucks up my confidence then I get in a loop of stalling. It's getting better but I'm looking for any important tips I may have missed.

go buy a bus pass

You developed a bad habit somewhere somewhere along the way and haven't kicked it. Strip down what you know about driving manual and try again. Maybe use a different car.

Or you're retarded.

Here's some good advice: give it a shit load of gas when you have the clutch in. You won't stall then.

The biggest problem I had in my 1st hour of driving manual was that I didn't give it enough gas and would pop the clutch. But once I started giving it much more gas than I needed, I was fine.

You can then start giving it less gas and begin taking off faster.

Keep persisting OP. It took me months and months to get the hang of manual when I was learning to drive. Constant frustration as I stalled at intersections or bunnyhopped due to poor clutch control. Then one day something clicked and I was totally fine. I don't know what changed but I was able to drive perfectly smoothly.

I've been driving manual for several years now and I love it. Keep it up, OP. Don't lose heart.

>tfw learnt to drive without once stalling the car

TOP LEL

How though? Did you get a good feel for the clutch right away? My leg likes to shit the bed and do whatever it wants when I'm trying to properly release the clutch.

OP you might be legitimately retarded.

ok so basically you gotta run through this ritual before you drive which my driving instructor taught me

1. put the clutch in
2. go into first
3. SLOWLY release clutch until the engine tone changes a bit. this is the biting point. you'll also see the tacho drop a bit
3.5 if while releasing the clutch the car starts shaking a little bit then pull the clutch in just a bit because you've gone a little past the biting point
4. increase revs to 2.5k rpm(ish)
5. release e brake to set off

it basically means you are stall-proof because you're so slow with releasing the clutch there's no way you can miss the biting point. obviously this meant that the first few times I went off from a stop it took me like 5 seconds to get the car moving. But the point isn't to get moving fast, it's just to get a feel for the clutch. within a few start/stops you know roughly how far the clutch pedal moves up till you hit the biting point so you stop relying on engine sound / tacho movement and just go by muscle memory.

Find a dead and flat road and just practice letting the clutch out to the point it starts to grab and move the car. Im still learning manual but that helped so much.

solid advice. although I wouldn't recommend too much gas or coming off too quick, because the car will lurch and it's not comfy.

Thx f.a.m. Gonna try this tomorrow

There's a reason most US states require a doctor's evaluation to apply for a manual license. People like OP don't have the skills.

Complete noob here. Is this the proper method for rapidly slowing down but not stopping

- brake
- clutch in at 2k
- into 2nd
- ?

>learned stick in a work truck with no tacho
>bite point was like 1 cm from the top of the clutch, full clutch press is a good 30-40 cm

>manual license
>doctor's evaluation
Can this be combined with penis inspection day at school?

>Takes a while man

No it doesn't. An old guy I know took me out a few times in his car and I could at least reliably drive stick. After owning my Miata for a few weeks I had it down pretty well.

There's not mystery to manual transmissions. If you're sticking fucking up after a month you either need someone to tell you what you're doing wrong or you shouldn't be trusted to tie your own shoes.

just to add: the clutch is a weird pedal - very different to the gas / brake - because for large parts of the time you're pressing the clutch in, nothing actually happens. when you press all the way in, the engine isn't turning the wheels. when you lightly press it, the engine is still completely affecting the wheels as if you hadn't pressed in the clutch at all.

just visualise this shitty diagram in your head.

after you're good at getting the car off to a start by letting off the clutch, you're going to want to start setting off quickly. that's pretty simple because as you can see from pic related, the clutch doesn't do anything until it hits the biting point - so just practice letting off the clutch quickly initially but slowing down when you hit the biting point so you don't stall.

You want to rev match so you're not burning up your synchros. Get the engine spinning at the speed you expect it to be running in 2nd at before you move the lever.

>brake
>clutch in at 2K
>goose it to around 3K depending on the car
>into 2nd
>clutch out

Or if you want to be really slick, double clutch:

>brake
>clutch in
>neutral
>clutch out
>goose the gas
>clutch in
>into 2nd
>clutch out

Yes but only if you have your Anus Bleach Certification on file..

yeah p much

don't start rev matching until you can do that basic manoeuvre first tho.

Started on dirt bikes and I didn't stall when I first drove a manual car.

This helps alot man. The clutch on my car is almost exactly like your diagram, except the part that does something is a little bit higher. I practiced a few hours ago on some side streets and I was completely fine except for a hill start at a stop sign where I kinda freaked out and choked, stalling two times before getting it. As I said, will be trying again tommorow with all the helpful advice.

Do you have nerve damage in your legs or something?

Does double clutching really make a difference? I've always heard that it doesn't really matter unless the synchros are going out, or if it's some piece of equipment that doesn't have them in the first place.

So how quickly can one go from 6th to 1st when switching though each gear? Do you have to blip each time? Is it really less wear then compared to block changing?

I'm just really twitchy and my mood swings don't help with consistent performance. Bipolar disorder is one hell of a drug.

In my area, the freeways are usually dug into the ground, so offramps have enough of an incline that I find myself clutching in, and coasting to a stop sometimes without downshifting a single time. In an emergency, too, going hard on the brakes is the fastest way to stop, so I'm really struggling to think of a situation where I would need to downshift all the way from top gear to 1st.

I had a lot of trouble learning. The clutch in my mom's car, an 02 civic, was a real difficult one, as hard as the racing clutch I put in my own car years later.

I learned from a racing game of all things. Gt legends. I had a wheel and pedals, but there were only two pedals, so I made the clutch a button. Doing that forced me to focus on the gas pedal throttle matching part of shifting, rather than the clutch dexterity part. Turns out I had already mastered the clutch and gas pedal is what I had been bad at. Now I only drive stick.

Well, it saves wear on the synrchros and you also don't get that hesitation you have to push through. It's a little slower though.

I do it to keep in practice and also because I've always had high-miles cars I want to baby. I'd love to drive an unsychronized transmission to really get the hang of it. I don't know anyone with a 1955 dumptruck.

Just put it right into first. You'll slow down in a hurry.

Rev matching doesn't save your synchromesh, it saves your clutch. Double clutching is slightly more clutch wear than rev matching but saves your synchros.

This is why

Miata clutch is easy as fuck dude. I own one too. They aren't all like that.

I was taught you should only be in first if your starting from a stop, you can go reaaaaaaaaaal slow in second. Can someone tell me if this is a load of shit or not?

I looked up tons of videos on driving manual for years. Always played manual mode in any racing game and same with arcade racers.

Then I got into a car and only thing I had to practice was clutch control, which took like only a few days to really practice and get it down. On my permit, gonna get my drivers license soon after my birthday.

But main point is, get yourself ready mentally to drive a manual.

It's a joke post, going from a high gear to first while in motion will rev the engine far past redline and destroy it.

Duly noted. Will avoid doing that. There ever really a reason to shift down into first though?

I've driven a ton of cars and the only ones that were hugely different from the Miata clutch were when some jackass put a STAGE 3 BRO clutch in them.

My Mustang came with one of those thanks to the retard previous owner. After six months my left leg looked like a treetrunk. I was so happy when the throwout bearing gave out and I had to replace everything.

no worries brah, GL

Should I play GAS GAS GAS during my driving test?

I like to when coming to stop signs. I'll be double clutching with heel-toe all the way while slowing down, and I'll slip the car into first just before coming to a stop.

Interesting. Thanks user. Gotta keep practicing. Im not Op but im learning manual and i just need to drive more so i become more confident i think.

At this point you have proven you don't have the mental capacity to understand it in a way that would allow you to be safe on the road. You should get an automatic and be less of a hazard to other road users.

on hills just use your E brake, press the clutch so its on the biting point, then give it gas, the moment you feel the car trying to overcome the E brake, you release the E brake and finish shifting into gear so you dont loose momentum.

But seriously mang, get an auto.

Why not just rotate your right foot and use the regular brake?
Honestly this.

i agree, probably 80% of the stalls i encountered were not enough accelerator, other 15% was letting out the clutch too quick and the remainder 5% was forgetting to clutch in when coming to a stop.

>can't operate a normal vehicle
>is allowed to drive it

You won't get a license without knowing how to shift here

its too late you have to be some kind of special retarded to not have it by now

i learned within 3 days because everytime my car stalled, it would take 5 min to for the car to start back up and there was no hazards on my car so stalling in a on the street traumatized me and made me learn stick so fucking fast

better than the diagrams on the clutch diagram thread 2bh

So, When you come to a stop. CLUTCH IN, NEUTRAL.

How in the fuck do you not have driving stick down after 5 months?!. I learned in a week. Do you not understand the concept?

All people can do it (not talking about literal retards and shit like that obviously). Non-North-American countries are proof of this.

>car has hill assist
>stall/have to over rev like a dingus every time because can't tell how much gas to give it while it holds the brakes

reeee

i've never simultaneously wanted to fap and wanted to go to mcdonalds and get fries at the same time before.

i'm really conflicted right now.

I double clutch in the winter after a cold start. On a -30C morning the transmission fluid is like fucking molasses and you have to fight it into gear lol

Definitely slower shifting in the winter until reaching operating temps

I often do it in heavy traffic. If I'm in second and traffic is crawling I'll throw it down into first and ease of the clutch while I'm still moving. It's easier than lugging the shit out of second gear. Just make sure you're moving very slowly, like 10km/h or less, or it's going to buck when you come off the clutch.

Idk man. I just freeze up causing me to fuck up. I'm good at other car stuff since I'm an apprentice mechanic but it seems I sure am retarded at this.

You need to work out why you freeze up and panic because that seems to be the problem.

Once you figure that out and put something into place to stop it from happening everything well be much easier.