Alright, Veeky Forums redpill me on golfs. Kinda wanna buy a mk4 because poorfag yuropoor...

Alright, Veeky Forums redpill me on golfs. Kinda wanna buy a mk4 because poorfag yuropoor. Are the pre-dsg automatic gearboxes crap?
>inb4 muh stick shift
Unfortunately I cannot drive manuals.

Other urls found in this thread:

denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-volkswagen-gti-for-sale/6273823404.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, if can't afford proper driving lessons, you can't afford the extra fuel costs of an old automatic.
Golfs are heavy as fuck, golf 3 weights almost 1100kg. You're better off with a Japanese car.

It's a shitbox, all around solid cars. Also learn manual, unless you are literally incapable. You may need to drive someone somewhere in an emergency and you will be like
>I-I cannot drive m-manual
Especially in Europe.

The fourth gen is known for the release bearing (thrust bearing) failture, so google about how to inspect that kind of failture, or better have all transmission diagnosted.
Other than that - if the car wasnt totalled and restored badly (i mean rust risk) - you sould be fine, mk.4 were good, but the time passes anyway, beware.

>Unfortunately I cannot drive manuals.
>poorfag yuropoor

How did this happen? How did you not learn to drive manual if you're a poorfag? Dude fucking kill yourself.

My 2002 MK4 Jetta 1.8T is very reliable. Otherwise, It looks like I won the lottery.

I have some experience with a B4 Passat, which basically shares its drivetrain with the mk3 Golf.
The engine refuses to die with just minimal maintenance, the automatic transmission has a few "brain problems" because it's one of the early self-learning models. Basically it needs to be reset if it "learns" bad habits, like hanging on to a lower gear for far too long (because of sticking brakes, for instance).

Other than that, mechanically it's really simple and everything is readily accessible because the engine bay can fit a VR6 but there's only a 4-banger in there. Parts cost next to nothing when you ship them over from Germany, too.

I have no idea how good autotragic gearboxes are in general, but since you asked I can assume may have a condition that prevents you to drive manuals.

Golf 4 are horribly common. So common I cannot like them, it may need a few generations too rare up for me to enjoy them again, but I guess with good reason. They're reputable cars and you may not have problems with maintenance of fuel consumption long-term wise. One tip though: I heard any the only trully reliable engine is the 1.9 TDI one and others have tendency to fail at times. It shouldn't hurt your pocket with fuel consumption, so you may want to go for it instead of smaller engines.

Alternatively, you can look for other cars from Volk's subsidiary's. Seat or Skoda might be cheaper, but they come with the same tech and engines.

Have you considered a Jap brand?

C'mon guys, don't be like that. I LITERALLY cannot drive stick shifts, my feet aren't bending properly, which makes it very hard to handle the clutch. Believe me, I know buying second hand automatic cars are extra risky.
yeah, I honestly have nothing against japanese cars, I actually quite like them but eastern european mechanics are fuckin retarded when it comes to them. Seems like they don't have the same knowledge and experience when it comes to asian cars as opposed to european cars.

Get a w124 then, everybody east of Austria knows them inside and out.

>I LITERALLY cannot drive stick shifts, my feet aren't bending properly, which makes it very hard to handle the clutch
Valid excuse. That sucks, bro.

get a volvo or a merc

fuck that sucks dude

I had a mk4 golf for 3 years, it was a total pile of shit and i hated it. AMA.

sucks about your feet tho dude. get a comfy auto landbarge and relax

Manual takes literslly half an hour yo get to the point of driving around on your own. A few days tops to git gudder at hill starts and shifting. And you'll have a much more reliable transmission.

He said he had a condition that does not allow him to drive a manual. Which sucks.

mk4 worst golf
mk2 best golf

Funny thing is, it always goes like this wherever you read opinions about it: It's either the greatest fuckin cheap hatch which costs nearly nothing to keep it running and does everything you want and more, or the worst piece of shit one can buy. NEVER in-between.

Out of curiosity, which mk4 did you have?

v6 4motion. UK branding is wierd. had the later 2.8 VR6 making 204bhp and an early haldex system designed to kill you at the slightest hint of understeer. Which was often.

op here. I'm not thinking about owning anything over the top like that. I don't need that kind of torque/horsepower.
I just need a decent ~1600cm3 ~100bhp vehicle, one that will be used mainly in the city (so diesel is probably off the table) but needs enough power to not shit the bed if I need to pass another vehicle. So the mk4 fits the bill perfectly and I really like how it looks.

Not a good idea, they are considered premium cars, and that means premium bills.

Now image a poorfag paying premium bills.

See the point?

that's why I was asking it in the first place if golf gearboxes are reliable or not. If they are then you don't need to spend a fortune on it, and I can allow myself to spend on it every 50k. I won't drive more than 10k a year.

Go to your local vw garage and ask them that.

In the mean time get a yarlis and call it a day.

>car learns bad habits
kek

it's actually a real problem for late 90's and early 00's automatic gearboxes.

its a vw, stay FAR away from them

My ankles were fucked up when I started to learn to drive, so I had to learn on auto. I got surgeries and learned, later. Thank god.
For gud europoor alternate option, literally a Twingo.

Heard autotragic Twingos aren't as good as their manual counterpart, but might work.
Best shot might be a Merc. A-Klasse, it's kinda shit to look at, but they're fairly common around where I live (fellow eastern) and probably realiable aswell, I mean, it's a Merc afterall. It's also entry-level so you probably don't have to worry abount spending much on fuel and maintenance.

>first generation
>5-speed Automatic
>petrol engines from 1.4 liters up to 2.1
>diesel engine with 1.7 liters (probably best fuel economy, but don't take my word on it)

It's probably your best shot, at least in my opinion.

>Heard autotragic Twingos aren't as good as their manual counterpart, but might work.
Nah, the auto boxes are dogshit. The clutchless manual "easy" models too, they're problematic at best and they're really expensive to fix in comparison to a regular manual Twingo.

As a manual fag. I would say that automatics are actually less maintenance and repair intensive. As long as you keep up with the maintenance.

It's just fluid and filter changes for the most part. Occasional band adjustments.

Even repairing them is easy.

Manuals have their own set of maintenance issues. For example thrust washer problems which people mistake for bad rod bearings and despite several bottom end rebuilds they can't get rid of that "rod knock"

I desperately needed a car at one point and got an automatic 1.6 Clio.

It cost about £400 less than the 1.2 model (lol 50% cheaper) and insurance was £200 cheaper as well.

So in 2006 that was 670 free liters of fuel. I didn't even use that much when I sold it for the same price one year later

I obviously meant the 1.2 was a manual

Vw makes some of the best, smoothest manuals. On par with Honda. Worth it alone to learn on one.

Trabant Hycomat
:^)

Op asked about automatic vw gearboxes.

The 2nd gen is the one I picture when I think VW golf. Is it any good?

One of the most liked generations.

why tho

All of them were built in Germany, and they're still "people's cars". Easy to work on, economical, practical, everything you'd want from something like a Golf.
That and the GTI is seriously fun.

Learn to read bro, I ended it with "worth it alone to learn on one"

Read the thread, OP physically can't drive manual due to a problem with his feet.

But when something goes wrong you pay a fortune

Non DSG auto sucks imo but I've never driven anything older than gen 5. Love my mk6 5speed though it's got great suspension for an econobox and decent power. I really think VWs are something you get if you like the good things about the brand and dont mind some of the bad. Engine has been rock solid for 100k+ but little shit has broken

I guess i'll post in this golf thread too.
Is this a good price on a GTI? My concern is the fucked seat and how much that would cost to fix or patch up properly, or how much I could knock off for that.

denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-volkswagen-gti-for-sale/6273823404.html

Honestly that seems like a good deal. If you are willing to do a bit of DIY VWs can be really fun cars. I feel like toyotashit is for fags who can't into any kind of "wrenching" even if it's just basic/interior shit

Even at the initial 3.5k it's a good deal? I was hoping I might be able to bring it down to 3k or 3.2k.
I'm not too good with a wrench but I plan on learning soon. Anything noteworthy to keep an eye out for with that year/gen of GTIs when I'm looking it over?

OP you're in luck. I recommend a Daihatsu Cuore

buy a golf gti.

go about your business and drive with a smile on your face.

>op is poor
>buys a gti
>has significantly more parts that can and will go wrong

it's like you don't even read the op. The standard 1600cc3 engine is great and no turbo to break down.

no one seems to mention corsas. They also come with automatic gearboxes and would fit op's budget. Are they terrible?

The 1.8T has oil sludging issues if the oil hasn't been changed frequently or the car wasn't given time to cool down. The easiest way to check this is to take off the oil filler cap and shine a torch through the hole, and just to be sure run your finger along the inside of the valve cover.
If there's a layer of thick black tar on there it's probably fucked, so unless you're willing to at least tear out the old engine and either clean and rebuild the entire thing or spend the cash on a new engine, walk away.

Corsair here. It's okay car, but the manual gearbox gave me trouble lately so I kinda am skeptical about the quality of automatics.

But it's GM and it made autotragics for americans for quite a long time so I may be wrong on this one, although Europe market =//= American market.

1st: whatever
2nd: Huh?
3rd: Yawn
4th: Whatever redux
5th: Grrr!
6th: Heeeeyyy...
7th: HEY!

buy the standard and just drive it. you will learn quickly

You can see how the soul is slowly leaving the golf and by the 4th generation it's all gone.

VW fanboy here, VR6 is the most unreliable vw engine ever created, just putting that out there
because they either have a 1.8/VR6 (unreliable) or a 2.0/1.9 (bomb proof)

Mk2 is one of the only cars that actually doesnt look like shit stanced

Golf 3 with 2.0 8v is absolutely indestructible (apart from in a crash lmao)

Most reliable and easy to work car I've had

I forgot to mention that the one I had was manual, I havent heard good things about the auto gearbox

what about the 1.6 petrol engine? And how much difference does it make if it's 16v or 8v?

>I had a mk4 golf for 3 years, it was a total pile of shit and i hated it. AMA.
>sucks about your feet tho dude. get a comfy auto landbarge and relax

But a mk4 is a comfy landbarge

Source: I had a mk4 too.

OP, buy a cheap mk4, they're common as muck so parts are cheap. Boy racers destroy them so mechanics know them inside out.

Just don't buy one cos you think its fast. If you want a fast car buy a Civic or something. Or a mk2 GTI. mk4s are slow and comfy, just how I like them.

It's always fucking tragic when I see some chav trying to do up a mk4 to make it "cool" and "fast" and "sporty", it is none of those things, it will still get outpaced by a 2 litre compact executive, and it will look shit.

but it's faster than your typical city cars, like corsa, polo, yaris etc..? I just want something that is great in the city but will have enough power to accelerate when I want to overtake a van going at 60 mph

Mk2 stanced looks fucking gorgeus

Buy a 5th gen GTI or above if you can't drive stick. The DSG is actually really good. I think it received some sort of accolade for being the fastest shifting transmission at some point.

I personally love the 6th gen.

What's a reasonable price to pay for a mk4 GTI?
Are GTIs still landbarges or are they quick enough?