Quick schooling on Mustang

Ok Veeky Forums, i will possibly be looking at a 65 mustang today. Give me quick tips on what to look for and how to jew the guy down.

Its an I6, auto mustang. Looks pretty rust free, had front bumper damage, old tires, but newish interior. Says it runs and drives. Obviously i wont know everything until i look at it. But what should i check on these cars?

>check rad cap and oil for slush
>rust on the windows and floors
>actually drive it.

The guy has it posted for 6k, but said hed take 4200. Ill only have 3500 cash on me then, but have some reserve cash. Im hoping to get the guy below 4k.

Front bumper and front clip

You should ask the guys over on the classic car general. They will help you.

Also, what should i expect out of I6 mustangs as far as performance and mpg? Just want to be able to cruise at 70mph while getting decent mpg

Im hoping theyll see this thread. Ill link it.

Bump

Any tips?

Sorry friendo. It all looks pretty good from the pictures you posted. Most things will be easy to fix because classic car. I don't really know too much about mustangs, hopefully someone who does notices this thread.

the front looks like its been in an accident, look for panel gaps or misalignment because it could have frame or uni body damage

Rust,rust,RUST,rust

RRRRRR UUUUUU SSSSS t.
also it has 2 few cylinders, other than that you found a gym it looks like OP. be sure to take good care of it, expect to fix odds and ends regularly, and for the love of god, dont do a cheapo bullitt mockup.

8/10 OP

Not a good deal.
>looks pretty rust free
No it doesn't, with that amount of surface rust I 100% guarantee it has a rusted cowl and front floorboards. It's the least desirable possible config, not fun to drive, and not in good shape.

I know its not perfect, but doesnt look like there is much more than surface rust.

And I6 is god tier for cruising

This is my main concern. From what i can tell, it looks more like it hit a curb rather than another car.

Supposedly it was restored in 89, and the guy did a decent amount of work to it (new brakes, new carb, tune up and all), but im iffy about tires. That and its 700 over what i want to spend, especially if ill have to get new tires for it. But everything within 2-3 hours of me is 10k+.

>I know its not perfect, but doesnt look like there is much more than surface rust.
It's been painted over. Look more closely in the pictures. Even if there wasn't rust it's not a good deal.

If its anything like my 69, pay attention to the rear quarters and doorframe as those are the main places where i have rust, bring a magnet, if it doesn't stick to areas thats indicative of bondo

Keep an eye on the frame and the floorpans.

>I know its not perfect, but doesnt look like there is much more than surface rust.
the bubbling in pic related is more than just surface rust, bud.

>And I6 is god tier for cruising
V8 is still better, fortunately windsors are fairly common in old trucks, aka junkyard swap.

>Also, what should i expect out of I6 mustangs as far as performance and mpg?

Performance of a 4 with the mpg of V8. There's a reason they all get swapped to V8s eventually.

And the price sounds too high.

Tell him you'll give him 3000 or kick rocks because he's trying to sell you the vase model of one of the most common vehicles of the production year and that """rare""" low trim engine is going to need either a rebuild or a swap before you put it on the open road.

>I6
>automatic
>4200

nope

Swap and join me brotha

Got a 66 just like you have, I6/auto.
I'm looking to get a t5 swapped in by the end of next year but keep the i6 as long as it'll run.

If I were you I'd check under carpets and under the back seat for mouse nests. And that engine bay looks horrid

Is he saying it's a 65?
Because is has a 66 grill and gauge cluster.