I dunno why, but I really wanna make an IRL Herbie. Not just painting a beetle to look like him...

I dunno why, but I really wanna make an IRL Herbie. Not just painting a beetle to look like him, but also converting this beetle to an EV so it's fast as fuck. I just think it would be fun racing all these street ricers with a cute little beetle and kicking their asses.

Other urls found in this thread:

evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=168&osCsid=9hkgpdnuqora8oc92utimi6fl1
lovebugfans.net/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hpb2Him9CUo
ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-Volkswagen-Beetle-Herbie-replica-stunning-condition-/162636824476
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why EV, there is so much air cooled power info out there.

Because those things are 60 hp stock and require serious investment to squeeze more than 120 hp out of.

>EV
>FAST
Pick one

Subaru swap, plenty of ej22s and sohc ej25s in junkyards around me and I'm not even in a typical subie state.

I wouldn't fool around with making a "fast" EV Bug. The kits are ridiculously expensive for one's that aren't chinkshit. I'd just fool around with the stock Air Cooled engine which people seem to get plenty of power out of if you swap around parts. If you want, you can always swap a subie engine in.

LS swap

I have info to contribute.

EV West has a kit to convert a Beetle to electric. Expensive, but it's a bolt in kit.
evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=168&osCsid=9hkgpdnuqora8oc92utimi6fl1

As to the beetle in question.
Herbie was a 1963 Volkswagen Type 1 Deluxe Sunroof sedan. That's the official model name and model year. Beetles changed ever so slightly year to year which makes them easy to identify at a glance.
For example. In 1964, the ragtop sunroof was discontinued and replaced with a metal sunroof, and the turn signal lenses went from clear to amber.
Little things like that. So you need to make it look like a 1963 model for an accurate replica.
Paint color. Herbie wasn't just white. It was an official Volkswagen color known as L87 Pearl White. It wasn't pearlescent, but it was an off-white.
You can buy vinyl decals in the correct font, colors and sizes from the Herbie fan community. The graphics were copied from a surviving movie car from the original movie.
lovebugfans.net/index.html

An alternative to doing an expensive EV swap but still getting the power you want is swapping in Subaru running gear. Subaru flat 4's look right at home in a Beetle engine back, though you do have to do some cutting to get the DOHC heads to fit. Then turbo the snot out of it.

Also, it is much harder to get newer Beetles to look like a '63 due to the changes. The windows were constantly getting bigger, changing the overall structure.

>EV

you're retarded, you'd have an easier time swapping in a fucking Subaru 4-banger... go watch might car mods, they've already done it.

Already mentioned here:
Read the thread first

>EV
sounds pretty dumb. You go drive, blast some ricers on traffic lights, track day bro and... have to be towed back home? lol
Stock air cooled would do, I mean over 2200cc it's more than enough or you could fit a subaru engine with tarbo, but that's kida dumb as well, your bug would have to be treated just like a impreza.

>muh hp
Seriously, quit that Top Trumps kid play. Are you 12?
Anyway, It's lighweight and a well built 2300cc could get something around 150hp 210nm (still, FUCK WATER!)

t. dad used to race with those little shits

doesn't everything over 1776 cc basically drink gas though?

no beetles are by thier nature inefficient. no overdrive, poor combustion chambers, not aerodynamic.

I just finished this paintjob on this rust bucket I just picked up and was kicking around the idea of doing the herbie paint scheme because the drab green is too common imo.

After this paintjob eventually fades I'll probably heavily consider doing it.

with those tractor looking tires i'd consider a matte cornflower blue.

Nah, i dont feel like wading through multiple posts of bullshit. fuck off.

>matte cornflower blue

That's actually the original factory color for my bug. It's weird to think when I was sanding it I came across 3 different paints. The original blue was painted on the same year we landed on the moon and it's still in a great condition on the interior.

>EV
>Fast
Do this instead

>tfw I could easily consider this
ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-Volkswagen-Beetle-Herbie-replica-stunning-condition-/162636824476

my parents have a '63 beetle with a custom cb performance engine, pretty expensive dual carb setup

my miata can't keep up with it

they had the decals to make it look like herbie but they preferred the current paint job it had

I never found out what wheels those are

They were stock wheels that were widened for the movie. A company called "Bolton's Classic Wheels" did it for both replicas and movie cars. They even did it for the fully loaded movie

>falling for the EV meme
>not throwing in a rotary engine, the engine that Hitler endorsed, in the car that Hitler commissioned

Turbo is always the answer

kek