Are v16 engines a meme? Why does no car use them?

Are v16 engines a meme? Why does no car use them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bsdWgmp4TaQ
linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because they're huge, inefficient and have little purpose

This.
>Yes mr vatozone I would like to purchase 16 quarts of oil please.

Simply too big. V16s have been put in locomotives and tugboats, but even if you're willing to put up with the mechanical complexity they're just too damn big to be worth it. Yes, I'm aware that the Cizeta exists, but it does nothing a good V12 can't accomplish just as well.

Anything big enough to warrant one is better off with a turbine.

The whole reason we invented the v8 was because the i8 sucked. Multiples of 6 is ideal for a cylinder bank.

What about really big displacement 4 bangers. eg. an 8L inline 4

Objectively terrible.

Subjectively, they get my dick hard.

How about 28L inline 4's
>tfw one of your cilinders isn't bigger than an entire LS7
Why live?

W18 cars when?

They don't have to be locomotive or boat engines. You could fit this beast in a few cars, It's only 12ish liters.

Bugatti is a W16 which is a multi angle v16

Horrid balance, you'd need hundreds of kilos of counter shafts if you don't want your car to become a rock tumbler.

Straight six engines work well for scaling with little to no balance shafts, that's why they're the preferred choice for semi trucks with displacements between 12 and 16 liters.

>tfw can't crawl inside my engine's cylinder when I'm feeling sad

Because V12 is objectively better in every conceivable way.
There were a bunch of aircraft manufacturers that tried a V16/W16 in the 30s and 40s and they never made it past blueprint.

Because i4's inherent imbalance would produce terrible vibrations at that size. I6 engines are the ones that are sizable to any displacement due to perfect balance. Look at those multi hundred liter i6 engines and even tiny 2l ones as well

what about flat 16 engines ?

>my engine may be impractically wide, but at least it's impractically long

My tractor has a 4.1L inline 4 and seems very balanced but I believe anything above 6L would need some sort of protection for the transmission (dual-mass flywheel, springs...)

you mean v6 inherent imbalance?

>What about really big displacement 4 bangers. eg. an 8L inline 4
>How about 28L inline 4's
I love that thing
youtube.com/watch?v=bsdWgmp4TaQ

No both i4 and v6 are inherently unbalanced though

>oil? What kind of oil esse, transmission oil? Blinker oil? Washer oil? Don't know shit about cars jus tell me what chu need orale

Length.

Reminder that V16s are the most balanced engine.
V16 > V12 > i6 > V8

i6 better than v8 are you mad?

I6s are slightly better balanced than V8s.
But v8s have a size advantage.
Both in displacement and dimensions.
The bigger the bore size, the inherently more unreliable ur engine becomes.
Anything past 3.6in has flame propagation drawbacks as well
Then Try stuffing a 6.2L i6 into a modern car.

Just stroke it

The same shit happens when u increase the stroke too far.
You end up with piston slap and a heavy ass rotating assembly.

On top of that, a rod that's too long ends up with even more flame propagation issues.
You would end up with a diesel teir revve range.

i6's are way more balanced than v8's you have to remember v configuration engines have to actually add weights to the engine so it doesnt grenade like an off balance centrifuge

I6 isn't better than a V8 with a flatplane crank but beats the shit out of crossplane ones

Is it just me or does that look like two LS stuck together?

>actually add weights to the engine so it doesnt grenade like an off balance centrifuge
Ur thinking of a v6.
V8s have no balance shafts.

>Is it just me or does that look like two LS stuck together?
That's because it is.
Made like 3,000 horsepower on e85.

What's its redline, 4k?

V8s are also naturally balanced. American V8s generally aren't as smooth due to their large size and the lack of focus on reducing their vibrations, but a 90 degree V8 is perfectly balanced with the proper firing order

V8s would be naturally balanced and harmonious if manufacturers didn't give them slight overlap to make them brap and sound more aggressive. In practice though the pistons moving on two axis instead of moving straight up and down does create smaller tertiary vibrations.

No. The i6 is not perfectly balanced. They are better balanced, but not perfectly balanced. for 1/6 of the crank rotation they are inbalanced.

The only truly balanced engines are 90º V8 and more cyls or flat 4s and more cyls.

While they are objectively silly engines, my ultimate dream is to make some kind of monster using a V16 in an E-type chassis. Basically gut the entire thing, rebuild from the ground up with proper suspension/trans/etc. and a customized hood to fit over an engine of that size, finish with deep red interior and wood details like door sills, steering wheel, etc, chrome shift knob, and brushed steel exterior.

This is my dream, this is my nightmare.

>I got a V16 in my daily driver, bro.
Just when you thought diesel DD trucks were bad.

>only truly balanced engines
That would be a v12 or v16.
A V8 is not as balanced as an i6

Yes. Yes it is you stupid fuck. Its even more balanced.

i6 is only balanced when 4 pistons are going down and 2 up, which only happens during a portion of the rotation. With a cross plane crank a V8 due to the crank counterweights is able to stay fully balanced all the time.

Flat engines just basically have none of this secondary vibration bullshit.

flat 8 was bad enough for balance problems
and the length of the flat 16 was causing handling problems for the 917
so they went with the flat 12 turbo that makes just as much power
dats a tractor engine
no good for hectic rpm

>flat crank I6/V12
You have no idea what you are talking about...

Because they have every disadvantage of the straight 8 and every disadvantage of the V shaped engines.

They do nothing well.

Has anyone even considered this is a form of murder? Put someone in the cylinder of an engine large enough to fit a person in (comfortably or not) and then crank the engine. the cylinder they're in doesnt have to ignite or anything, it can just crush them too, up to you

>Flat engines just basically have none of this secondary vibration bullshit.
Mount stupid

I am a mechanic but sure dude, whatever you say.

You're mom is mount stupid you stupid aspie. The flat engine design cancels the secondary fibrations since a piston going down will just push force against another piston moving down.

v16 haters blown the fuck out with one simple post

I'd wager that you are the first, seeing as most people who know of the existence of gigantic engines also at least have a rudimentary understanding of how an engine works, and know that there would be no way in without taking the head off.

So take the head off, put them in, put it back on. Whats the big deal?

absolute retard

>I am a mechanic
Sounds like you should stick with lube/oil/filters before weighing in on engine balance, because everything you've said is completely wrong

Well, the engine wouldn't turn over, the person would just suffocate, and when the engine was pulled apart when it fails they'll probably be able to trace it back to the guy that spend the last week removing the head off an engine the size of a school bus using a crane

wtf they wouldnt suffocate theyd get smooshed repeatedly thats the whole point. hello???

Yes but they'd suffocate before you torque all the head bolts, properly adjust the valves, reinstall any other hardware you took off...

They probably wouldn't last more than an hour. They'd already be dead before you turn the crank.

I have a hard time getting told by a tripfag that wont even correct me. Suck a dick.

nah brah, it's got cold air intake

>w16=4banks of 4 cylinders
>v16=2 banks of 8 cylinders
Fucking tard

>someone who has no precise idea of engine design

Actually no, not all flat crank engines are perfectly balanced because one bank is slightly ahead of the other (asymmetrical). You'd need connecting rods that split in half on one of the sides to do that, or in a flat 8 to deliberately make on of the banks longer than the other. Same place where the vibration from 60º or 120º V6's, or 90º V8's comes from if they have the proper crankshaft counterweights, being perfectly balanced otherwise. And supposedly perfectly balanced engines in practice are only as balanced as the engineering tolerances of the ones that built them.

But in all those cases, the biggest source of vibration happens to be torsional because the power is pulsed rather than constant; if you measured torque at full power degree by degree, you'd see that torque goes back and forth between positive and negative which is one reason why you need flywheels to keep the motor spinning. With friction, you need 12 cylinders or above to have constantly positive torque in the entire rotation even though there still is a lot of variation.

linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim