How do I learn stick at 25 :(

How do I learn stick at 25 :(

youtube

$700 geo metro and an afternoon at an empty backwoods parking lot

Buy a car with a MT and start driving it. Watch some Youtube videos. If you know someone who drives stick or knows how, have them give you a lesson.

It's just about practice. Once you get the first few shifts down successfully, the rest will come in time. You're basically using your whole body to drive the car, it's an applied skill so the only way to learn it is through practice.

Do it bro, it's good to know. Plus it places you higher on the hierarchy of men - any guy who can't drive stick will ALWAYS be inferior.

This

Having a friend or a father to give you a few tips is great, but even after that you're just like the rest of us and you'll have to just get in a manual car and fuck up for however long it takes you to get the hang of it.

Is a 1985 Suburban 2500 an ok vehicle to learn stickshift?

What engine? Something with a lot of torque is easy to learn on because it's hard to stall, but an underpowered shitbox will teach you all the control you'll need to never stall anything ever again.

6.2L diesel

is my granny a superior man too

has anybody ever rented a car to learn manual?

>true gentlemen shift their own gears

no wonder people make fun of me for liking cars you fucks ruin it for everyone

Yes.

Where do you live m8? I drove a little over an hour and a half to teach an user who was getting a 944. Day well spent.

It'll be easy, that's for sure. Plenty of torque means it'll be hard to stall.

Do you not shift your own gear?

this
Seriously though, if you've got no friends who can help watch some youtube videos and learn the basics of what to look out for.

Overall if I recall the number one thing that gets people is stalling the car. low speed braking will dip the engine below it's minimum rpm and it'll konk out. Depends on the car, of course.

Trust me, I was in the same boat as you. I was 24 and had never driven a manual in my life, but literally the hardest two things are finding a car to learn on and by far number 1 is mustering up the balls to admit you don't know how.

There's nothing like trying to pull a left turn out of the parking lot, stalling it, and then you can't get it started again and here comes traffic bearing down on you at what seems like 80MPH.

How can you live life without any excitement at all?

Maybe you'd like cars even better if you'd learn to drive?

Not OP, but a little older than OP and also wanting to learn stick.

I want to get an older weekend shitbox that's easy to learn on. It's most likely going to be a Honda, probably a CRX due to availability and cost of upkeep, and having an older car won't put a hole in my pocket when the clutch burns out. But is it the best car to learn on? If not, what is and from what year(s)?

This.

Getting a car with a reasonable amount of power makes it easier to understand how the clutch works.

If you want to get something that may actually prove useful after you've learned on it, Get an old 2wd Pickup truck that has manual, they typically have more power and shorter lower gears making easier to learn.

Veeky Forums makes such a big deal over driving stick.
There's literally nothing to learn. You simply depress the clutch when you need to change gears, then release once you've selected.

CRX or similar is great. You can get it going without using the gas pedal just fine to figure out where the clutch is at.

t. taught people to drive stick on those kinds of things, and the CRX is a particularly good option.

I've already got a pickup, so not really looking to be practical. I can definitely understand the power side of it though, it'll help me with future, nicer, purchases that I'm not afraid to drive for shits n giggles.

Cool, so I'm on the right track. Any particular year I should avoid or purchase?

Particular year? Beats me. Who cares? It's a small light old car that's going to rust to dust or just break in a 1,000,000 ways anyhow that happens to have an above average nice transmission and a good power/weight ratio.

Good point. It's not like I'll want to have it forever anyways.

For reference I learned on some kind of a little old Datsun. Didn't take more than a few miles before I was about as competent as I could be without more driving time.

The guy giving me my first lesson just said, "do this" and made a motion where one hand went up at the same time the other hand went down.

rent one for a day

but it really is what this guy says

prez/o/ speaking the truth as usual

Yeah, Communism is equally simple. You just seize control of the means of production and ignore thousands of years of evolutionary biology and cultural domination. There's literally nothing to suppress.

That's why everyone can drive stick perfectly within the first 10 seconds and every Communist country is a perfect success.

The most important part when driving a manual is when you launch the car in 1st gear. You've got to feel the clutch catching the flywheel from the sole of your shoe, the rest is a question of practice. Shifting up and down is very easy, better going in Reverse might be tricky since most cars don't have synchros on that gear.

To be honest, it took me 4 months of daily driving my shitbox to fully master my clutch and gearbox, I'm smooth and quick now.

I've gotten that same lesson, but the teachers I had either had nicer vehicles (from cars to kenworths) that I was afraid of learning on, or cars so bad they slipped out of gear, or wouldn't engage certain gears, or my favorite: randomly stall out.

*randomly stall out in neutral

One time I gave the keys away to a friend who wasn't totally shit at it when the clutch was shot and I already had a new one in my hands. I figured that would be the optimal time for him to burn the rest of it out.

He burned the rest of it out. I don't know how they got my car back in to the driveway the next morning, but 6500RPM in first gear and it didn't even smoke or slightly lurch. Fun times.

>The most important part when driving a manual is when you launch the car in 1st gear. You've got to feel the clutch catching the flywheel from the sole of your shoe, the rest is a question of practice.
I agree. Just without fully releasing the clutch find where the biting point is. Do that a few times until you're comfortable. When you need to go keep it there, give gas, and then slowly release in the span of 4 seconds or so.
>Reverse might be tricky since most cars don't have synchros on that gear.
Well you should only shift into reverse at a stop anyway.

>buy a stick civic
>drive it until you're good

I just learned at 24. I bought a cheap mustang from CL and watched some youtube videos then Just drove a bunch.

press the clutch when shifting and when engine is very low rev or it will stall. this is the complete guide to driving manual

vigorous masturbation

Would a jeep wrangler be a good option to learn on?

ask a friend that can drive stick to teach you. i learned at 14, just turned 25, and just taught a 30 year old to drive stick last week...

Buy a car with a stick, and either learn or kill yourself because you bought a car you won't bother learning how to drive.

not a bad option I've always found teaching people to drive stick (have for my last 5 gfs) was easier in a truck than a car.

Wranglers have more of a truck feel to The transmission. They're easier than sports cars in my opinion

Drive a 79 f150 3 speed (moved it to floor)

And a 09 335i 6 speed

A wrangler is half tractor half truck, youll be fine

Waste of $700 dollars though?

By having a dad, you stupid nigger.

Your right a 2g accord will last longer, is better looking and is easier to wrench on myself

Cancerous

i would actually struggle to drive an auto car

I learned how to drive stick in a wrangler yj. pretty easy

By not being a faggot city-boi, I learned on a tractor which is way easier, then it was way easier to learn on a car.

Learning manual is easy
>buy civic
>get screw drivers
>buy second hand hondata
>set vtec at 2000rpm
>turn the idle air control valve screw until idle is set at 2000rpm
>park the car in first facing the direction you want to go
>turn the key and be ready on the brakes
>wala you can drive manual