Who the fuck thought that this zig-zag fucking design is a good idea for automatic cars?

Who the fuck thought that this zig-zag fucking design is a good idea for automatic cars?

I've driven a car with this shitty fucking design, and it was the cheapest-feeling piece of shit transmission I've ever used. It was like pushing around a piece of frail plastic.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/20/star-treks-anton-yelchin-and-the-scary-reality-of-the-jeep-that-rolls-away-and-kills-you/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>b-but muh security

It allows for blind gear selection without missing the intended gear.

>my car is an autotragic but the shifter is in a straight line
>my mom and grandma's car are also autotragic
>they're in the retarded-ass zig-zag design
I literally do not understand the point of it
You're driving a fucking automatic where can chose to be in drive the entire time and not even touch the shifter. You are guaranteed retarded if you somehow miss your intended gear going down to 3/2/1

You'd have to be retarded to not be able to switch between P, R, N, D (3, 2) without having to look down.

All cars that I have been in indicate what gear you are in on the instrument panel.

mercedes benz

the MORE important question is

WHY IS THE HANDBRAKE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE

because its a japanese car. fucking no child left behind

I don't know about all cars, but I remember reading the 2016 Toyota Corolla catalog, they advertised that the gated shifter on the automatic Corolla S being cooler and sportier than a traditional up and down automatic gear selector.
Basically they were out of ideas on how to market the Corolla S as a sporty sedan

Gated Shifter: Corolla S with CVTi-S transmission comes with a gated shifter which lets you shift through gated slots rather than just up and down

Honestly I like it better. I think it gives the shifter some feel and when I delivered pizza it lent itself to faster changes from D to R . However I drive a manual now and no regrets

Lmao they're trying to get the modern day "fast n furious" cunts who know the term but can't drive stick

i thought it was just a design. nothing more or less.

It lets people use the shifter without having to hold down a button, because it stops their retarded asses from choosing the wrong option.

It's for retarded people, basically.

This. Veeky Forums likes to pretend that cars aren't usually designed for the lowest common denominator, but it has never been that way.

This is what happens when manufacturers don't idiot-proof:
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/20/star-treks-anton-yelchin-and-the-scary-reality-of-the-jeep-that-rolls-away-and-kills-you/

>implying it isnt best
its bad enough I have to drive an autotragic, at least give me some tactile feedback and make gear selection a little bit more cool

Do all straight line shifters let you shift from Reverse to drive without depressing the button or am I just special?

This is the only acceptable way to shift in an automatic.

I love my column shifter.

This. If automatic, then column is the only way.

It's designed to prevent you from inadvertently bumping it into neutral while you're rolling down the highway. Also to prevent children from shifting it, since their feeble minds will think it only goes up and down, not side to side.

Personally, the PRND dial shifters of some modern cars are the best automatic shifters designed. They take up minimal space and actually look pretty cool.

>column shifters
Very 90s, look rather hideous
>stalk shifters
Take up unnecessary space just to look like traditional stick shifts

Same user here. In my vehicle, my shifter works like this
>PRND21
>to reverse from park you need to hit the button
>reverse can go into neutral without pressing the button
>cannot go back to reverse without pressing the button
>neutral and drive can shift into each other without pressing the button
>need to press the button to switch from drive to lower gears

Problem solved :DD

I was once told that the zig zag was a way around having a button to depress...

Now the real question... why the fuck is it so difficult to press a button on your gearshift

It's to make people feel more sporty. Nothing else. I'm more a fan of the straight line with a separate gate for +/-

>Following dumb bitch in a rolla on my way to work
>I'm engine braking down all the hills and maintaining speed
>she rolls away from me and has to stomp the brakes so is clearly coasting
>last hill before town
>she's about to crest the hill
>see her reverse lights come on
>at 80km/h
>they were on for at least a second
>see her flipping her shit in the rear window
>what the fuck

>Also to prevent children from shifting it, since their feeble minds...

Never underestimate a child's ability to understand how to operate technology. You will lose.