What's a good car for drifting that's under 10k?

What's a good car for drifting that's under 10k?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XCu8Dj_FtC0
powervehicles.com/drift-heaven-weeks/
youtube.com/watch?v=W_Cnb74ldzc
instagram.com/filthy_joe/?hl=en
youtube.com/watch?v=34duzmzsjQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're going to drift you'll need a hell of a lot more than 10k to get it drift ready, fuel, tyres, parts, etc.

I realize that, I'm not talking about mods I'm just talking about the car itself

gutted honda oddysey

if you are serious you wouldn't be on Veeky Forums

you'd be on ziptied. but you aren't so go fuck yourself. There aren't like 500 cars that are possible to turn into a drift car. use your head.

Like just fucking google it. It takes more time to type up your stupid bullshit here and post it than spending the absolutely minuscule amount of time just doing some fucking research, or god forbid, cruising CL. Instead, like the mouth breathing retard you are, you've chosen to wade into the river of shit that is this Burmese Vintage Hot Wheels restoration forum looking for useful advice.

>lets read these nine year old forum posts about drift cars
>these prices should still be pretty accurate
Or alternatively he could make an account and verify his email on a forum to ask one question, so he can get shit by people telling him to read the outdated sticky and nine year old threads

*hell of a lot less

Here's your checklist for getting started

[ ] Shitty FR vehicle with really terrible weight distribution and a long wheelbase
[ ] Bald tires
[ ] Ebay sway bars
[ ] Ebay turbo/supercharger kit

>reading drift forums for prices
shithead, you read drift forums to figure out what kind of car you want, then watch craigslist ads about said car to get an idea about the prices. how autistic are you?

replace ebay turbo with welded diff

Powersliding is not drifting.

Miata, 240sx, bmw, 90's mustangs, 86 corolla, cresta.

Now, what will you actually find?

A few miatas and 90's mustangs.

4th gen f-body

WHY the fuck do people recommend miatas? They have nothing to offer stock to save you money, no lsd, not a stiff chassis, no power, and they have a short wheelbase. Miatas corner well. They do not drift well.

volvo 240

apparently, not the FC
something about its low polar movement makes it not noobie friendly to drift

and it's engine if you can't understand how to maintain it

Im assuming you are in the US right?

HR 350z is hands down the best package for a beginner that is under 10k. For around 7-8k you can get a HR 6spd 350z (07-08 model year) with lowish mileage. You want to get the late model Z because it has the most powerful motor and can take more abuse. The late models also come with a much better transmission and LSD (that actually locks). With the left over 2-3 grand you should buy coilovers (a good set of BC Racing coils will set you back around $800), tie-rods ($250), extended FLCAs (front lower control arms $350) modified knuckles (take stock knuckles to a fab shop $200), straight pipe exhaust (200-1000 depending on type, materials and fab shops labor rates), intake ($150) and a dyno tune (usually about 400 bucks on stock ECU). It also wouldn't hurt to buy and install a hydraulic hand break set up but that would put you over budget. Stock ebrake with good pads should work fine.

For around 10 grand you can buy a Z, lower it, get some more steering angle and make over 300whp with just bolt ons and a tune. Sure 10k could buy you a decent SR powered 240 or sc300 but they will never be as reliable as a relatively stock Z. At 300hp you'll have more than enough power to link most tracks, you wont be breaking shit all the time and you'll look good doing it. The 350Z is a platform which has proven itself to be competitive in higher levels of drifting and there is plenty of aftermarket support so the car can progress along with your skill set.

Don't listen to the anons telling you to buy miatas or shitty american muscle cars from the 90s.

a 90s mustang is a terrible idea.

t. have been to multiple drift events where people think their foxbody mustang can drift but the car just spins out every turn unless they have LOTS of modification.

its because of stupid ass haggard garage. Miata is only good for hooning in an empty parking lot or actual grip/track racing/ autox

no not at all.

Seems like more of a driver error, the fox platform's fucked steering ackermann is actually beneficial for drifting. You will want subframe connectors and a panhard bar though.

heres a vid of a dude with pretty much the set up I just described.

HR 350z
Basic cage and racing seat
Hydro ebrake set up
Coils
Some angle mods
Headers and exhaust
Intake
Tune

Could be built pretty easily for around 10k (maybe a bit more with the wheels, tires and cage)

youtube.com/watch?v=XCu8Dj_FtC0

American style drifting is so lame. Just power, like always.

power is relatively stock. Gtfo with your elitist attitude. Most Japanese drifters are running 250-300whp same as the Z in that video.

It's the technique I take issue with, faggot, not the amount of horsepower. Powersliding isn't drifting.

American style drifting is lame because our tracks are lame.

esp grass roots. Its usually a skidpad with cones as opposed to the Japanese which have actual mountain passes where people drift as well as Ebisu cirucuit and other drifting tracks.

Although if you are not Japanese and want to drift ebisu, you can. All you do is buy a car for cheap and store it at ebisu.

powervehicles.com/drift-heaven-weeks/

>Powersliding isn't drifting
jesus christ you are so fucking stupid it is physically painful. You're trying to tell me that the 350z in that video isn't drifting? What?

I've been to ebisu a number of times. Andy at PV really hooks it up for his customers. Absolutely love it there.

video I took from my last trip over there.
youtube.com/watch?v=W_Cnb74ldzc

so you must know this dude as well right?

instagram.com/filthy_joe/?hl=en

I met him in passing last time I was there. He's friends with my friends. I didn't hang out with the PV dudes too much though. I have a group of American and Australian friends from Yokosuka who I usually go with.

It isn't. It's powersliding. It's a completely different technique.
Whenever you yankie fags try to copy something it's never the right way.
youtube.com/watch?v=34duzmzsjQA

How the fuck else would you do it on a temporary course?

Okay mr know it all drift master please explain to me (a stupid american) why exactly it isn't drifting

RX-8

It doesn't meet his leet Forza standards.

Heres the definition of drifting according to wikipedia

"Drifting is a driving technique where the driver intentionally oversteers, with loss of traction in the rear wheels or all tires, while maintaining control and driving the car through the entirety of a corner."

Again, how is "powersliding" not drifting? Driver was clearly intentionally oversteering and maintaining control through out the entirety of the corner. I've seen this same argument on Veeky Forums and other places on the internet before. If you're oversteering on purpose for an extended period of time, it's drifting. I think the confustion comes from the way the car is set up. Low powered cars require much more precise control inputs. This puts a focus on weight transfer and driving line in order to successfully drift a corner. When cars have high horse power the driver can just step on it to break traction and is able to drive a sloppier line. While I agree relying on power to drift is stupid, both methods are still drifting regardless of any misinformed internet opinions.

Japanese: High speed into corner, sharper angle, use the weight and lesser power to shift it out of the corner.
American: Slower speed into the corner, less acute angle. Use the spinning tyres to shift it out of the corner. Typically more smoke.

Both go sideways, but use different ways of doing so.

I guess that depends on where you are in the US. Where I live you're lucky to find any 350z with less than 100k miles for under $10k.

even an older 350z would work so long as you don't get one that was abused. 03-04 engines tend to sludge at higher mileage but when they are healthy they are decently strong. About 25-30 less whp than the HR 350z though.

small world he lives in the same state as me.

As a Mazda salesman I lol'd. RX-8's are in our service bay daily.

With that being said, the owners never want to trade out of them... Regardless of the repair cost.

if you have enough power it will drift, but i'm going to agree even then it is still a shitty drift car.

Literally any FR car from the 90s

STOP RUINING JAPANESE SPORTS CARS

GET A BMW
any will do

>please stop ruining the cars of the faggots that invented this crap

How about one of these?

Weld the diff - it'll be mint, dood.

get a cefiro

I want to go to Japan and beat a bunch of drift kiddies with the power of grip.

If you can afford to keep headgaskets on it... Also, pigfat

I'm finding a body-totaled C5 Corvette, cutting down the torque tube, and stuffing it in my 78 Corolla coupe.

That's gonna cost right around 10k.

anything thats rwd, manual and as enough power can drift as long as you have the proper modifications to the chassis/suspension and the money for it.

pls no bully

kek
i bet most of the japanese ones are rotting in scrapyards

Get any manual I6 E36, put a 3.91 LSD in it for like $300 and fucking send it
Want more angle? E46 LCAs and E90 tie rods

He isn't gonna drift in FD ffs. And fuel? What does he need fuel for that it needs to be specially mentioned? And what parts exactly are needed at a non-competitive drift event?

For under 10k just get a E36 325i or a 328i with a manual of course.