Desperately need a low budget car with flip up headlights that isn't going to need work...

Desperately need a low budget car with flip up headlights that isn't going to need work, preferably on from japan/made in japan

>inb4 Miata

I know it's kinda dumb to ask for but everyone has that one thing they like about cars, mine is flip up head lights

I'm 18, living with parents because no where to say AND I'm planning on college NEXT year, so I'm trying to save as much money as possible by not renting a house. my parents are willing to help me get a car because of this

They won't buy shit cars or cars that are too old.
my old man likes Fords so he's one to talk about "shit cars"

C4 corvette lmao

Really a miata is what you want.
But it sounds to me like you need a 5k civic because your parents aren't gonna buy you a fun car that is old. Enough to have pop-ups

Literally Miata

Why don't you want a Miata?

It's unbelievably reliable, incredibly easy to work on, ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE aftermarket, every issue has been encountered and solved, common enough to find one in good condition, cheap, etc.

Das says Miatas are tiny, I was the one who brought it up, I am totally ok with one, so is my mom, but my dad is the """Manly Man""" stereotype and wants to get me a truck of some sort

you can sell a car if you don't like it, and buy something else

That would be a slap to the face in the eyes of my dad, and I'm sure he's gonna buy the least expensive peice of shit truck, with some fucked interior, I'd get no money off of it

Buy a third gen Firebird then. It'll shut your dad up and you'll have your popups

There are tons of reliable cars out there with pop ups. I recommend against a Miata because you are going to college and you are probably at some point going to need to haul stuff. A miata wont do at all.

>Too old
Most cars that are not "too old" will not have pop up lights, except the C5 Corvette but that is out of the question for a new college student
>Fords
Ford Probe. It was a sports coupe that they originally planned to replace the Mustang as their main sports car. Thankfully ford wasn't retarded enough to follow through
I believe even late model Ford Probes came with pop up lights too. It's FWD but it really isnt the end of the world. They're really inexpensive on the second hand market

The 5th gen celica you posted is also a decent option
3rd gen preludes are old, but okayish cars
Older Accords got pop ups, but your parents probably aren't going to like them cause mid 1980s car

You're going to have a tough time finding anything with popups that isn't "too old", unless you think you can talk your parents into helping you get a C4 or C5 Corvette.

You need a fastback top to un-gay a Miata, and fastback tops are expensive.

Look for a third-gen Accord ('86-'89), preferably with fuel injection (LX-i or SE-i in the US). USDM body styles include coupe, sedan, and hatchback. Old but reliable as fuck, and not weeb/hondafag-taxed to shit like the old Corollas/Celicas/Preludes/Integras are. It's a pretty normal-looking economy car, so your parents might go for it.

>You need a fastback top to un-gay a Miata
No, you need an LS swap. The fastbacks generally look like crap and they're unfinished on the inside. Just get a hardtop and a splitter and save money for a truck motor to drop in it.

More tips on how to Un-Gay a Miata?
My mom and I might just get one without my dad knowing, or just against his wishes

Please listen to this user, op. Probe is a good option given your particular situation.

>tripfag
>18 year old living at home
>daddies money
It writes itself.
Anyway, look at gtos in your area.

Not really a fan of Ford, id rather just take a Miata to college and get called a fag instead of the car breaking down on the way there

Give up.

Any car that you can afford on a college budget that has all that you want will be a piece of shit that will break constantly. You cannot have everything. I wanted the same thing in my cars, but flip-up headlights are in cars that I cannot afford right now. Trust me, I'm in the same situation as you, age and all. Difference is, I saved for a year through school, and got my first car that way. All that saving got me a Toyota Echo. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with an Echo, but I wanted an MR2, or a Celica, or a Supra Mk III. If you're buying a car just for flip up headlights, you're buying it for the wrong reason. flip-ups should be a bonus, not a selling point. I still want them, though.

Don't buy a car because it's already cool, make a car cool.

Yes, but then you can hold it over your dads head. If he's going to be petulant about it, so can you. When you break down at 3am on your way home for summer break, you call him first.

This guy gets it

>Desperately need a low budget car with flip up headlights

Why do you need flip up headlights in 2017?

Agreed. My parents bought me a diesel jetta and all my friends hated it until I built the fuck out of the engine and can shitmix their 3k civics(with a few simple mods).

Aesthetic purposes, I think cars after 80's-90's look retarded with their lights, the only car i'd get via 21st century is a Mercury Grand Marquis, because im not a CVPI fag

Get a job and buy your own car you fucking loser
Nothing worse than your parents being able to win an argument because they pay for everything.

>Saving for College as mentioned in Original Post
>"HUur DuUr SaVe Yo Ur MonEy????"

oh fuck user I shoulda thought about that it all makes sense now huh?

I'm in a similar predicament, except I don't really care about flip lights. Being a poor fag sucks sometimes.

But, on second thought, if he's buying you the car, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. That said, if it's 50/50, comprises must be made. If you end up buying it yourself, it's entirely your decision, but you may still end up compromising with yourself.

This guy is right. Sure, they're a cool style of headlights, but they're not like hood ornaments that get stolen and need to be hidden away.

Technically, the Probe is a Mazda MX6, but a Miata will be the more reliable car by far.

Nice thing about Miatas is that they are so incredibly common you can buy many parts locally and inexpensively. Basic maintenance is dead simple and can be accomplished in a parking lot. You can slap on some cheap, hard, long-life tires and take advantage of the low grip to have some fun. Just make sure you get a tread designed to eliminate hydroplaning, as their light weight makes them very susceptible to it.

The only problem with a Miata as a daily is that the fuel economy isn't as good as it could be, as the engine is tuned to rev its tits off. They have very pleasing low speed dynamics and light clutches which makes them nice to deal with in traffic but you will find that they do not sip fuel driving around town like other cars. On the other hand, you can drive the piss out of it and still get 20MPG, and the tank is small so fill ups are easy on the wallet. I think I spend maybe $20-22 a fill up with regular, $30 if I give her Shell Premium.

College is a waste of time you snowflake edgelord. If you have to save up for it that tells me you're going to a community college which = a useless degree. I know. I wasted four years of my life for some pointless degree. All I was doing was postponing becoming a man and moving out, getting my own bills and having a life.
Go get a job in a trade (like I don't know.. working on cars?) Not some part time slave labor

Or yeah brosef totally let your pops blow his retirement money on some piece of shit you'll crash into a tree. GG no RE

Captcha: pointless schulbus

1. Learn to maintain the car.
2. Get an obnoxiously loud exhaust so everyone thinks you're a motorcycle. If someone tries to call you gay, you will not be able to hear them over the scream of a Mazda B-series @ 7000 RPM. This will also prevent some drivers from merging into you and encourage those behind to follow at a safe distance.
3. Drive like an absolute mad cunt, take all corners at maximum safe velocity and get on the power at the apex to encourage the tail to break loose. This also discourages tailgaters.
4. Do not apply anime-related decals -- stick to automotive-related Japanese kana and parts companies
The stigma that Miatas are gay is really stupid, they are just low-powered, easy-driving sports cars that can outhandle nearly everything else on 4 wheels with minimal effort or modification.

You're right that college is actually an enormous waste of time and money but community colleges are the ones that actually offer trade-oriented classes like what you're talking about. If you get a good one with an automotive program, you are basically paying for access to a fully-equipped auto shop with lifts, tools and ASE-certified master techs to pick the brains of, who will help you work on your car. Good luck getting that anywhere else.

>Get an obnoxiously loud exhaust

I have my doubts about it sounding good, you sure it won't sound like a tiger shitting in a can?
We have local Civic fags blast down our road and I swear to god its the most annoying sound to hear at 2 am

You gotta get the probe. They're good cars, and essentially just rebadged mazdas, so they'll be reliable and everyone's happy.

I agree with this guy, but I would also say to keep an eye out for the 5th gen Celica too.
From what I read online, the Ford Probe is relatively reliable, but the one downside i come across is that parts are more difficult to find than some other cars
The Celica is also an inexpensive option too. the FWD version are really inexpensive and are spaceous enough for most needs. The AWD version is an option, but it is much more expensive.

might just get the probe actually, they don't cost much, and are better looking than I thought

prelude?

accords, tegs had pop ups too.

OP you sound like me lol
I just want an old 80s pop up manual car that's somewhat peppy

Ppl always want Lambos and Ferraris and supercars, my dream cars are essentially pick related, 80s/90s shitboxes ftw
Lucky for me all my dream cars are less than $5000

I have an ISR race exhaust on my NB, it takes a little while to break in before it sounds nice, but it isn't farty or raspy at all. No droning either.
So long as there's a resonator in there, it will sound good but still be loud enough to make other drivers aware of your presence.

The B-series engine has a nice sound, like 4 trumpets in tune or a really big motorcycle. It rumbles at idle like a boxer and absolutely screams like a formula car at high RPM.

Just listen to your dad.
L M A O
M
A
O

This guy gets it

yeah let me just get the loudest ford so I can assert my dominance over the whole college, that way if im called a fag, I could just rev my shitty lifted f-150 and have the engine just fall straight through the engine bay, leaving me without transportation because my dad thinks that anything else wouldnt be """"Manly""""

Duly Noted

mr2 is the only option

Would've gotten this, I was looking out for MR2's first but
>Oregon fag
So we dont have any good cars, just lifted trucks