About what time did American cars start to get okay after the malaise era?

About what time did American cars start to get okay after the malaise era?

>inb4 lol they never did

Depends on the model. Every manufacturer makes turds and gems.

When this was invented.

Dodge and ford? On the us side is was the mid 2000s
Chevy was more late 2000s after they killed their copypasta brands

when is chrysler going to get good?
even they fucked up the dart

Never. The Dart was their last chance at redemption, and they killed it because it "didn't sell well enough" and Marchionne is a fucking moron who thought investing in SUVs was the right thing to do when gas backed off earlier this year.

now they're trying to get bought by the Chinese. Stay away.

They killed the dart because Fiat killed the poor selling sister cars, and Fiat cares far more about the Italian market.

except they still sell the PF platform in China and the new Aegea/Neon is based on the Dart. They killed it because they thought people were going to rush to buy SUVs again, and they fucked up royally.

If that's their reasoning, they didn't fuck up anything except having a good competitive SUV*

*I mean one of those cucked things everyone is buying, not a Jeep.

The Dart's replacement is basically the Renegade. Same engine and transmission combo in a taller, sillier-looking car.

About 1988 for Ford, 1992 for GM, and 1993 for Chrysler.

Ford: 1988, not bad since then
GM: 2011-2012
Chrysler: 1992, immediately went back in 1998, didn't come back for real until 2010 or 2011.

Probably when they sell to Chinese brands

y tho
crossovers are literally all i ever see anywhere now

About the only thing they do well is the Challenger and Charger these days. And it even took them a few years to get those right. The Charger LX had all sorts of problems initially. Typically anything SRT touches is usually good.

>they thought people were going to rush to buy SUVs again
They are but they aren't buying FCA.

People are definitely buying crossovers and SUV in the past five years. They outsell the sedan category by quite a bit. I look at all the new cars on the road now and I have one of the very few sedans. Almost all the new cars are trucks, SUV, or crossovers. New sedans are like 30% of the new vehicles being driven.

The car makers have also learned to strongly try making SUV and crossovers fit in the same footprint of a sedan. They've done a good job of that as my neighbor's new crossover is shorter than my new sedan. But his car definitely has more visibility and has the larger taller cargo capacity one expects compared to a sedan. His MPG is better than my sedan too so that is annoying. My next new car may very well be a crossover if car meritocracy instead of sedan-preference emotion weighs in.

>when is chrysler going to get good?
Assembled with chinese and mexican parts to begin with.

>new neon
Fiat no
Fiat stap

>american cars
being good literally ever, they've always been shit

Mid nineties, at least in terms of aesthetics,

Engines didn't get really good till the 00's though

ehhh, the dohc 4.6 was introduced in the mid nineties, the ls showed up in 1997, I think ecotec 4s and the atlas ll8, srt-4 engine, 5.7 hemi etc showed up in the 00s though

very few cars got the DOHC 4.6 though, most got the single cam