What do you think Veeky Forums?

Found a 68 mustang on craigslist. 289, 3 speed manual. I don't know about the rust situation, I'd have to see it in person. Needs interior work obviously, but I belive it could be one hell of a cool car. Thoughts? He is asking $3500.

Other urls found in this thread:

atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/d/1968-mustang-coupe-v8-3-speed/6283249747.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/d/1968-mustang-coupe-v8-3-speed/6283249747.html
forgot the link.

Body looks ok, but $3500 for a notch 3 on the tree improperly put together missing all the trim is not a good deal

how much do you think all of that trim would be? It is missing a fuckton of chrome, and all the carpet and seats. I'd try to talk him down to $2800

Also I'll let it be known I know fuck all about early mustangs. I've only ever dealt with the 79's to 04's. All I know is that it is really easy to get screwed over.

Mustang never came with column shift, floor mount only.

thats worth 1500$ at most.

You can literally buy a new every thing of that car.
Dynacorn even bought the original tooling and are currently stamping whole chassis'.
It can easily turn into a $50,000 project if you went overboard.
Good news is that even places like rock auto sell shit for it, weld in floorpans to get rid of the rust for $40 a side.
Its an old car, plan for everything to be worn out.
It handles like shit. You can fix some things (Shelby lowered the upper control arm mounts 1") but at the end of the day its still a 55 year old platform.
Probably has front drums, disk were only an option that year.
Linkage rods instead of a cable for throttle- they like to take over with any type of body flex.
Z-bar for the clutch is archaic at best.

So if I did get the car, my plan would just be get some basic trim, probably just carpet and maybe put an aesthetic cage in the rear seat. Get the gauges fixed up. Clean it like a motherfucker. Maybe do a disc brake swap. And get a nice clean red paint job with some body touching up. I wouldn't be able to do a full resto, but just get a badass "built in my driveway with 3 buddies and some beers" mustang. Im down with that.

The shit. Everything down here in Mobile is 6k+ with an I6 and in worse shape.

Granted it needs some work, but i wouldnt pay more than 28-2900 for it.

Oh fuck you weren't lying. I can buy every damn piece of this car on rockauto

I know that feel, at least when it comes to nice foxe's. FUcking boomer tax man.

Its bullshit. Sadly a few months ago there were a crap ton for around 3k, but i didnt have the cash...

Still dont have the cash, but ive got a camaro that im trying to sell/trade now.

SN95s are honestly a better buy anyway. Try to get one with the 5.0 for cheap go fast mawdz.

Already own a 97 GT. It's a 4.6 but has PI swap H/C/I. Gonna be dropping a 5.4l DOHC in it eventually. Then I saw this and got interested.

You're looking at it all wrong.
First you're going to change out all the rubber bushings in the suspension- once they die the hard components grind away.
U-joints, shocks, seals, switches...
Replace the brake master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake hoses and do a disk upgrade.
Rebuild the differential.
Upgrade the radiator.
Iirc '68 was magnetic pickup, not points at least.
Turning it into a somewhat reliable car takes ALOT of work.
Been there, done that, sold a couple hundred to Japan.

>Been there, done that, sold a couple hundred to Japan.

tell me more

So you're the reason for Tokyo Drift.
Now I see where the money pit aspect starts. If I do decide to pick up the car, I'd likely put it in the garage and just put bits and pieces then. At the least I can keep it from further degradation.

z28?

1975. Guessing base since it has cloth seats, but the vin said it was the "top spec" one.

Forgot pic

Oooooh. Nice find man. My mom used to have a 73? I've always been a mustang guy but I do have a soft spot for those. A guy was selling a 78 near me that was immaculate. By the time I pulled up the car pulled away. Still see it drive by every now and then. Pic related, looked just like it

Thanks, but its far from perfect. Will burn rubber in 3rd though.

>driving back from pensacola
>dude bros rev bomb next to me on highway at 65mph
>fuckit.jpeg
>drop into 3rd while flooring it
>hear engine scream
>fat rubbers start losing grip and screeching
>feel rear start to slide
>slam back into 4th and off the throttle.
>going 70mph

Bump cause i like mustangs

I like my garage door spring clutch on the old vette though
Best clutch feeling in the world as long as you don't skip leg day cause that SOB is stiff

OP here, decided I'm just gonna dedicate to my current mustang. She's been a real champ, dailying near 230 miles a week. So if anyone is near atlanta and wants that mustang, go at it fags. Could be pretty lit.

>tfw live in belgium
>tfw i want '65-'68 mustang fastback so badly
>have like 20k euros for it
>not enough

>went from 65 to 70 mph

I need it... but its so far..
Yep. Believe it or not, burning rubber doesnt move you all that fast

All I can say is wait and save until you can get a used 2017 fastback.

nah man tell U-haul you are picking up a honda accord, get a trailer and a buddy, and high-tail it to the guy. Be a fun trip, and if the car is trash then go downtown, get a varsity orange drank, and head back.

1; need to sell the mullet machine 1sst
2; no truck to pull it. If i did uhaul, im looking at 4-500 expense before the car, and thats not even guarenteeing its not fucked.

So unless im in the area, i doubt id be getting it.... *sigh*

You're in mobile, jethro down the street ought to come with you for 3 beers and a shot at his own cousin.

I know that feel though, if it makes you feel better its probably trash anyway :/

Come to America, it's not quite the shitshow that you hear on the news and Veeky Forums.