Trips decides my settlement offer

trips decides my settlement offer

case is wrongful eviction, demand is $5,500,000 plus costs and statutory damages for $100 a day since late december

Good luck.

3m

Ask them for their offer. They're coming to you, they clearly have a number in mind.

Then, you take the number, add at least 50%, and that's what they're hoping to settle for.

Then, you counter with a number that would make you extremely happy.

Have you really never negotiated anything before?

kill urself

How did your attorney arrive at $5.5M as your number for damages?

i don't have one. my reasoning is set out in my complaint as follows (500k emotional, 1 mil exemplary, rest loss of use and other things, general and special trebled by statute)

i already know what my ideal settlement offer is going to be, and it's complicated because of what i know about him and his co-defendant

(surety bond of ~$50,000 pending resolution in my favor of the case, ensuring that he will provide evidence, etc to me)

>500k emotional
Is this normal in burger land

Seriously how the fuck do they even price this shit.

If this is what they actually wrote, they have a shit attourney. Take the amount you want, then multiply it by 3. They'll try to give you around 10%-15% of that. Settle for 30%.

Wrongful eviction?

Fuck off deadbeat. How about your client doesn't get his throat cut in his sleep? Tell client to pay the rent on time next time

i'm the person who got wrongfully evicted homoboy.

They just add huge numbers here because other categories have caps and require proof. It should just be renamed judicial punishment for being a douche.

You were going to live in that apartment for 20 years? Really? How many apartments have you lived in for 20 years? You want to fuck with my livelihood? If you were my ex-tenant you would be resting peacefully in the woods right now

i mean, the defendant had been living there for 20 years so

>judicial punishment for being a douche.
It's more of an IQ test. If you're not smart enough to buy business liability insurance you're going to have a bad time.

i mean, he owns it so

no he doesn't. he was subleasing it to me.

the real cash is in his landlord, who participated.

Yeah, because

>Muh feelings

Thats why youre not rich, noone with brains and money would risk a nice life and a multimillion dollar complex for one faggot. If they'd good theyd delay them through lawyers for as long as they can, and then pay as little as possible.

why do you not have an attorney? why are you posting on Veeky Forums???? WHY WHY WHY WTF

your complaint reads like a litigious 10 year old

lucky to get 5k + court costs you scumbag

The landlord's attorney should just offer some rope as settlement.

He'd probably fuck that up though and sue the rope company and Mother Nature for providing a faulty tree.

5 million for emotional distress sounds about right.

Yes. America treats lawsuits like ballgames treat hotdogs.

Fuck you. I've been wrongfully evicted by a psychotic landlord before and it's totally fucked.

Sometimes the landlord realizes the market is hot and they underpriced their unit. So they just make some shit up and evict the tenant. It's beyond fucked up.

> "Oh hey I need you to leave and take everything in the next 30 days, so I can make an extra $500 a year"

Can we get the full story here (play by play) before rendering judgement?

oh leaf u know so little about us

triple by statute, faggot

i mean if they throw ur shit on the curb u were probably an ass to them in the first place.

you should go to tg or qst for your role playing needs.

you need to look up the law in your state with regards to a tenant leaving and whether or not you still had a lease. you can sue for damages if they were the ones to damage your property and not other circumstances. if you only slept on the stairs for one day you can't really sue for emotional distress unless you couldn't find any where else to live. also you need to show proof of the uncashed checks, that ultimately should help you win.

he admitted to everything on paper to a government agency lol

why would the owner of a $5000 a month condo behave this way? what did they have to gain by throwing you out and not cashing your checks?

wew wrong post but w/e talk to me OP you larping faggot

he's just the subtenant. the real money is the psychotic old lady that owns the place.

in any case, i have no clue what that idiot thought he was doing. he didn't like my guests or whatever.

are you sure that the old lady owner is liable? if she didn't know about what the subtenant was up to she might be immune. is he an employee of the lady or in some kind of official capacity? or is this some kind of off the books arrangement you had renting from subtenant

is cali one of those gay states where tenants basically have more rights then the owner? if so, yeah i'd be suing everything that wasn't bolted down as well

You don't have a fucking lawyer? Lmao Jesus fucking Christ. Good luck getting even 2% of that amount.

allegedly, she threw everything out onto the street herself, by hand.

lawyers are for idiots.

>allegedly, she threw everything out onto the street herself, by hand.

wew lad, the owner of your building threw everything out after her subtenant refused to cash a check

that's pretty rock solid if you aren't larping, ask for two million, bargain down to one

>lawyers are for idiots

You need ten lawyers, then.

The purpose of these cases is to make you whole, not enrich you. Despite the liberal le consumer protectionist area you live in, the courts still tend to practice this simple rule

Do they even have millions to pay out? Because it doesn't sound like it

The real money is in loss of use.

I hear 'not to enrich' a lot, but the fact is that both statutory and treble damages apply.

Checked

But seriously dude, a fucking lawyer is almost absolutely necessary for any civil matter outside of small claims
If this escalates to court (which it will if you're asking for an unreasonable amount of money such as $5.5 million), you're gonna need a lawyer and it's better to give them more time to prep and familiarize themselves with the case.

In all honesty, this is so fun that I don't care if I win or lose.

>Upon information and belief, the usual rate of rent without rent control for the part of the apartment that I had subleased is approximately $5,000 per month. When subtracted for the rate I was paying and multiplied by the number of years I intended to stay at said unit, namely at least twenty years or until defendant ______ death or move-out, this constitutes at least $996,000 in damages.

>this constitutes at least $996,000 in damages
no it doesn't. I really hope you don't expect to get $5.5 million from this...

This just gets better and better. You were paying $10,000 a year for a space that usually goes for $60,000 a year? Please do tell us how you got that long-nosed deal.

>You were paying $10,000 a year for a space that usually goes for $60,000 a year?
to be fair, most places you rent has had the rent cost risen to jewish levels.

They usually go with 5 years.

Inherited rent control from 1997.

>california
>expired foreign passport
of course OP is a mexishit.

hopefully the judge rules against you for being a greedy parasite.

3m

So 5 times 60,000 is 300,000. How did you arrive at 996,000?

And by the way you will be awarded numbers based on the rent control. So if anything $50,000 not $996,000.

Please post more of your complaint so we can have more laughter.

hey, retard: i'm claiming 20 years.

it's up to them to state their version of the facts. i base my allegations on publicly available rent figures for other units in the building, adjusted for square footage. i'll request related evidence in discovery, and if they refuse to provide it and fail to deny my claim of their unit's fair rental value, they're fucked.

explain why if you are suing for court costs you do not want to get a lawyer?

i'm legally entitled to costs of suit, and if I do get a lawyer i naturally want attorney's fees.

get a lawyer and get your sure money. going in there by yourself is not going to help your case in the least, especially if they have representation. this whole thing stinks of revenge and greed, make a legit claim and get a solid payout.

So 20 times 60,000 is 1,200,000. How did you arrive at 996,000?

And by the way you will be awarded numbers based on the rent control. So if anything $50,000 not $996,000.

Please post more of your complaint so we can have more laughter.

Haha, it's actually funny how you're functionally retarded. My rent was 850 and the market value is 5000. I can see you're good at multiplication, so maybe you're good at subtraction too.

Also, 'based on the rent control' is a completely nonsensical phrase in the context you're using it. Loss of use damages in San Francisco are generally calculated based off of the cost I would sustain by relocating into a unit with basically the same statistics. Jury verdicts and even some settlements regularly reach six figures. It's funny how you have some kind of intellectual disability.

Jesus Christ remind me never to rent to OP. Why'd you really get kicked out, huh?

Yeah op, and my kidney market value is about 600.000€. Anyone buying?

Seriously i only need 1

>you're functionally retarded

>I'm suing for $5.5 million because I got kicked out of my $10,000 a year apartment for selling drugs and had $3,000 of personal property destroyed.
reread that 3 times and let it sink in.

Of course he's not mexican, mexicans are weak stupid submissive ass-kissers. This guy is a US citizen. If you didn't commit crime, I hope you win your suit OP. Ask for 5M, I don't think they'll give you more than 3.

You're not going to win shit faggot enjoy years of court

Why won't you post the whole story? Is it because you are in the wrong?

Landlords don't often kick out paying tenants who are following the rules.

I audit apartment complexes. Your offer should be detailed out as follows:

moving expenses: 3500
temporary storage: 1500
rental deposit at new apartment: 1500
some other expense: 3500
total expense: 10,000

anything like a million is stupid and they will fight and you will get nothing

you give them the above offer and they will pay you 10 grand to go away

I'm Singaporean.

These people aren't exactly big fish. The landlord has no liquid assets and the property is heavily encumbered by liens, and the master tenant is a drunkard who has to sublease. I don't mind litigating them into bankruptcy, especially since the subtenant who conspired to replace me abruptly moved out and he is stuck in the position of taking out loans to defend the action.

I love court. I hope it drags out for at least three years so I can get my sweet statutory damages.

>16 million dollars
>great advice

anyways op, youre fucking retarded. ask for first/last month back + security deposit and $3,000. you'll be lucky to get that.

Why do none of you people know anything whatsoever about rent control?

Wow you are an actual retard.

>says the guy suing for 5.5 million dollars because he was kicked out of his 500sft apt for selling drugs and probably violating other terms of the lease

get a grip man, step back a few feet and think about all of this. You will spend years in civil court to get nothing if you dont wise up to this whole process.

They are asking what it will take to settle this, give them a reasonable number your moron. if you dont and hold out for millions it will go to trial and they will win

let me just ask you this OP, have you ever been to court? civil court?

Yes. I filed suit against my private college in Massachusetts for trying to expel me for my opinions. I sought injunctive relief and came out with a confidential settlement after three months of wriggling around with motions and discovery.

That's a university who doesn't want bad PR and you were technically in the right from what you stated. Not the same thing as a landlord booting your ass and you suing for five and a half large. As someone half-way through second year of law school allow me to let you in on a fun fact, you're either going to lose this case or win a substantially smaller amount than what you're requesting.

Serious question, who is your ex-landlord's attorney? If it's anybody of note within the SanFran area then you are extra fucked and this whole case could be flipped around on you once you get in front of a judge. Try not to 'sperg out in court also.

good luck man.

ill reiterate one more time before leaving: ask for around $10,000 (explain how youve come to that number) and see what they say.

If you lose this opportunity and take it to trial you have a 99.9% chance of getting nothing (and that's with a lawyer, kid).

Also, TWELVE causes of action on an wrongful eviction suit? Can you even prove that your ex-landlord "openly refused to cash rental checks..." without the argument being a "he said, she said" pissing contest? Genuinely curious now...

I'm technically in the right because the asshole illegally locked me out from a property I had the right to live in.

With regards to the Massachusetts lawsuit, I only won after the judge denied my preliminary injunction motion. I was coincidentally also accused of running into other people's dorms and screaming 'I'm here to do violence to all trans people', but I turned it around on them by claiming they were discriminating against me for being transgender.

>who is your ex-landlord's attorney
His only other case is a meth head's restraining order, complete with a twenty-page 'declaration' autobiography. He went to an unaccredited law school, failed the bar six times, became a lawyer six months ago, uses a fake forwarding mail address and doesn't know how to meet and confer or the local rules of service.

I think I'll be okay.

He admitted to all of it it on paper to a government agency, along with some sob story alleging that I had unauthorized subtenants.

Even if I did have unauthorized subtenants, I had the right to subtenants because we never had a written lease. Even if I didn't have the right to subtenants, I offered him proper notice under SF rent control laws.

This whole situation is even more interesting to me now. Can you elaborate on what you said about not having a written lease?

>because we never had a written lease

ok ill stay, go on OP...

I want to know what they allege against you, besides the "unauthorized subtenants"

No one is going to settle this for more than 3 months of rent and loss of property (2-3k). If this goes before a judge they are going to get you less and give you the boot.

Tenancy at will (what I'm assuming you had going with your ex-landlord) is kind of tricky but I'll give it a shot. What angle are you taking in this case? Improper notice? Discrimination?

Do you have a copy of the rental agreement between your father and your ex-landlord? I think it'll come up.

Here is his set of allegations/admissions. I think he's greatly exaggerating the situation, but I'll have to wait for him to specifically allege these as affirmative defenses before I deny or admit any of it.

You will notice he refers to me as a male instead of a female. It's not a pretty picture for him in front of a jury, all around.

$100 per day minimum, friend.

Yes.

Rent control. Also, he literally refused to let me back in.

I don't really need to allege discrimination, but the landlord's correspondence doesn't exactly help his case.

It's not up to a judge. It's up to a jury who won't even know that the damages will be trebled.

I think you have a solid case based on what info you've given in this thread. Be sure to emphasize emotional trauma (because of prejudice due to you being transgender) to get the discrimination play working with the jury to ensure maximum settlement funds. Best of luck!

Also, to stay on topic of "trips get's to decide settlement" if this is trips then $4m flat.

Thank you.

As a side note - did you know that if there were 'unauthorized subtenants', they were homeless transgender women with nowhere else to go?

bewahahahhah how butt blasted this slumlord is

good job op, fuck this rent seeking capitalist faggot in his ass with no lube. RUIN HIS FUCKING LIFE!!!!

so are you actually transgendered? I thought you were just lying to win your college case.

Youre totally fucked. Your best bet is to make a bunch of shit up alleging he discriminated against you and bullied you while you lived there or something.

seriously? did you even read that? this is dead in the water and you want 5.5 million dollars lol.

Those "unauthorized subtenants" would be called "guests" in a normal situation. That is unless they paid rent to you, received mail at the unit, moved in furniture, etc. I think a guest becomes an unauthorized tenant after spending something like 14 days in a month within the rental property? How long were the people living with you?

If he cashed even one of your rental checks then disregard the argument pertaining to the previous lease your father had with the ex-landlord. I think that would nullify it.

Yes, I read it. I read that he admitted to almost everything I alleged in my complaint.

He did in fact bully me while I lived there. The police were called.

Yeah, it does.

Also, I don't recall with sufficient specificity to allow me to testify under oath as to how long those people remained on the premises.

That makes things a little more sticky but you should still be in the clear as you and your ex-landlord had no sort of written and mutually agreed upon agreement. Contract law and property law aren't my areas of expertise (securities law is) but like I said earlier, you should be fine.

So you DID have homeless trans women living in your rental space (14+ days in a month)?

We arnt the judge here man, dont feed me that crap. i wont care about you or your case in 15 minutes when i start cooking dinner.

If youre lying about one little simple thing that he's got on you, then your fucked. Be honest with the random people evaluating your case.

I am honest about everything. Even if I did, I had the right to subtenants due to the lack of a written agreement, so he had no grounds to recover the premises.

Just sounds like this guy is being honest and transparent -- and was actually trying to help you and your father out. You, the shithead pervert -- freshly kicked out of college, return the favor by returning months later in the middle of the night demanding he let you stay there. then, after sleeping in his staircase, you attempt to file a lawsuit and sue him for 5.5 million dollars on account of you not having your shit together and a real place to stay.

Maybe he shouldn't have cashed the check for AFTER I allegedly vacated the premises if he didn't want me to continue to rent the place.

lol antifa commie cunt, don't you have a bandana to wrap around your face?

Don't take offense to this but your post sounds like you have issues of repressed sexuality, some sort of deep adolescent conflict with your parent(s), and egotistical issues (among other things). You should drink more water, watch less television, exercise more, and learn to enjoy what you have while being happy with yourself and the decisions you've made in life.

duly noted bud

where did u get this picture of me