You are faced with the choice between an NA MX5 and a Third-gen/W30 MR2, both used, in the same condition...

You are faced with the choice between an NA MX5 and a Third-gen/W30 MR2, both used, in the same condition, at the same price point.

Which do you choose and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qlVs1uoNX0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not soliciting purchasing advice, by the way. I'm genuinely quite curious.

MX5,

by virtue of that i hate how that gen mr2 looks

More parts for cheaper repairs if you go miata.

But mr2 is cooler.

mrs, looks better, less gay, sounds better, less gay, less gay

MR2 because I want to snap oversteer into a tree and die.

i'm sorry to burst your bubble user but this is generally considered the most girly generation of the MR2

MR2 any day of the week, all year, every year.
I have one, and I have driven a friends MX5 pretty regularly. You learn to love the shape.

MR2 is lighter, has a better steering feel, better chassis, better weight and engine placement, and is fun in the twisties. MX5 is fun in the same regards, but it does it less well (and is considerably slower, both in stop-starts and rolling starts).
The only thing an MX5 has on the MR2 is 'mass appeal' (and a boot). There were more sold, and there are more on the market (parts aren't an argument as the MR2 can take parts from corollas)

The little 1zz-fe engine with a full tank of 45L will get you almost 2 weeks worth of city driving, with hours of idling. By the time it starts getting low, that's when you really start having fun with the car (it's so damn light). If you've ever driven an older mini and liked how punchy the response is, look no further.

>Still less girly than a miata though

That's a meme perpetuated by morons flooring the gas in the middle of a turn with a turbo mk2 sw20 model.

Parts availability and price probably the Miata.

The MR2 is cute I guess but come across very kawaii~ and I'm not that into that. Also good luck getting a hardtop.

Honestly though I don't think I would ever get a convertible. I'm just not into them. If I wanted something old, light, nimble, and kinda quick I would get a Honda CRX.

>Also good luck getting a hardtop.
Huh, I guess i'm pretty lucky then.
Also, the MR2 is not very old at all.

Debuted in 1999, 18 years ago. Its almost a "classic car", user.

>he doesn't like kawaii~

Parts availability is equal user. Corolla bits. The only thing that's a little different is the suspension in the MR2.

Price, the Miata is a tad cheaper, but the MR2 is more fun.

Huh, I guess you're right.
God, i feel ancient.

What about body parts?

Miata dudes miring my 6 pack and my car plus anal

the girliest generation of the mr2 is more masculine than a faggy gay car like the miata

Finally die you tree fag

It's all plastic user. If you struggle to find wrecked parts, it's still cheap to import or buy aftermarket.

MX-5 only because the NA is one of my all time desired cars. It's like the perfect car for me personally.

Having driven my friend's SW20 though I wouldn't mind a ZZW30 MR2 I reckon. I would just hope the sound deadening is better in a ZZW30 than the SW20 because fuck me it's like an angry hornet buzzing in your ear.

It's not terribly noisy like the NA sw20 (surprisingly, since its a soft top), but it is slightly disconcerting hearing the engine noise if you're used to totally sound deadened cars, for a little while you think you're revving harder than you should.

mr2, bigger

MR2 because my mom drives a miata.

NA8C has superior suspension (double wishbones vs macphersons), but the ZZW30 makes up for it by being more rigid, lighter, and having superior placement of engine and fuel tank, and far better braking.

Both cars have K20A2 swap kits available.

Mr2 any day

Gj. You are now dead.

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

NANI?

mx5 any day of the week

track day bro

I allready picked w30 and I will never look back

mr2, it looks better riced

I'm actually gay and the miata is too faggy even for me. The MR-S looks like a down syndrome preying mantis, does this car have an inline 10 cylinder engine, why is it so long?

Have you seen an MR-S in person? They're fucking tiny.

Not one, which is probably a worse sign than any cosmetic observation. Did anyone buy these cars new?

The Mister 2 is much cuter.

isn't it obvious?
youtube.com/watch?v=0qlVs1uoNX0

bitch it's smaller than a vw fox

They're pretty rare where I live, but they made their way onto the used market somehow.

also, give the MR-s a rebadging and have all the normies think it's a porsche.

MX5, that gen MR2 never came in manual where I am (Aus). The MR2 with a manual and hardtop would be the dream though.

spirit MRS is the ultimate tougay car.

>worst MR2 Vs worst Miata
Wow this board is so fun and cool

busrider spotted.
All mr2's are great cars, just third one ditched cool looks for cute panty dropper looks and turbos and storage for racecar.
MRS is best MR2 if you want to track and daily it.

>based on my imaginary extensive experience with all trims of 3 generations of cars
Actual busrider spotted

Isn't the MRS supposed to be one of the best lightweight cars there is?

People just don't like the look of it.

I'd go with the MRS in any case, if I could get a hardtop, that'd be even better.

but that gen is the gayest mr2.

Even with SMT it's fun to flog around in 2nd and 3rd in the twisties. It's not an auto, it won't force you to change gears or anything, it's just not lightning quick about changing them, and won't let you launch at 4k revs in 1st.

As far as gear changing is concerned, it's honestly about the same speed as a normie shifting moderately quickly, you just notice it more because you aren't being pre-occupied clutching in, shifting, and clutching out. You just get slightly annoyed by the hang time because you're just waiting for the thing to shift for you.

>You can get it manual switched in straya too
All state governments allow it, but you just have to provide evidence that Japan sold a manual model and that you have the OEM parts for a conversion.

MX-5 is a faggot car but it is still a guy's car, MR-S is a car for women. That said Toyota engines are notoriously indestructible, ISIS uses them for a reason.

the MX5 is complete shit compared to that car by pretty much every metric

MRS is best MR2 and probably the best affordable used sports car and as a bonus doesnt look as faggy as a MX5

>MR-S is a car for women
This is honestly the stupidest stereotype.
It's a cute car, chicks like it, but they wouldn't drive it.

The suspension is too tight, the age of the car is too old for financing, the seats and car are far too low, there's no automatic transmission, the visors don't have mirrors and there's no boot for extra bullshit.
Also it's not a huge 'safe' SUV.

Is MR-S rust-prone? If I were to buy it, I'd love to drive it during winter months. Also is there a certain year to go for or to avoid?

mx5 because the engines in the right place and it doesnt look like shit

MR2. It doesn't have the appeal of the SW20 or even AW11 but it's still a really good car.

MRS, it just does more for me and honestly as time has gone on, it's slowly grown on me, and short of a Supercharged W11, I don't think I'd take another MR-2 over it let alone a Miata, which I have nothing against and I've driven a second gen, liked it alot but would still rather an MR2.

>Isn't the MRS supposed to be one of the best lightweight cars there is?

That could also be said of the Miata.

Maybe that's what OP was going for?

MRS since I already have a NC miata

2003 onwards are golden, they made minor suspension and weight tweaks from the old gen.
2000-2003 are fine, just check the precats if you get one.

MR-2 Spyder is lighter, has a mid-rear engine, more power, better handling and is better in almost every way as a drivers car. (engine note, steering feel, maintenance cost, steering wheel is fucking nice, loads of compartments, THREE (3) cup holders, unexpectedly accomodating for tall people - miata ain't got shit on the MR2 here, seats are more buckety for the twisties, OEM sound system is pretty nice etc) the list is almost endless.

The miat has a boot and double wishbone suspension, that's the sum total of how it's superior to the MR-S.

Yeah but they were also made till 2007 you Monstrous retard.

shittier mcpherson based suspension, mr setup is overrated, actually has less power than 1.8 from NB, they weight about the same, maintenance cost is higher

you're talking out of your ass, and only reason why you'd suck mr2 penis if it had one is because you're a hipster

id buy the mrs and put porsche badges on it, the car is so rare here that everyone would believe it

Not who you're replying to but;

>macpherson struts worse than double wishbone
Will give you this one.

>MR setup being overrated
MR is a better performance platform than FR. Does that always make it worth it to some people, no, but that's an opinion. Whether it performs better or not isn't.

>Less power
Personally no idea about that, but is it the same per highest trim level vs highest trim level and all the way down the line to the lowest trims? If so, then I'll agree with you. Otherwise if the MRS has more than the NB at equal trim levels then I won't agree. (Although OP asked about MRS vs NA Miata, which are two different generations completely.)

>weigh about the same
I'll take your word for it.

>Maintenance cost is higher
Would have to look at each individually. From a defensive point of the MRS, it uses a lot of Corolla parts, so it could possibly end up being cheaper. I have no idea on actual prices for either, though.

As far as being a hipster, well I guess if the person only wants one because they don't see any around, but if that's the case they won't care about the above stats anyway.

Fully kitted out, the MR2 is 69kg lighter than NB's of the same year, and a minimum of 104kg lighter than an NC with no options.

it's one of those cars that would be a legend today if they gave it the right engine

If it came with a 2zz from the factory, used examples would probably be $20k+

>If it came with a 2zz from the factory

ZZW30.

The 1ZZ may be a shit, but the W30 is a much better platform.

That's a nice bodykit

is this a joke? MRS all the way

Yeah I'm not saying it's not superior, just that the miata is generally considered to be one of the better ones too. I mean fuck I said in another post I'd take the MR-2 my self.

That said three cupholders solidifies the deal, because I'm an american.

For real though, height wise the mr2 is great. 6'6" people can just fit. I'm 6'1" and sit comfortably.

3rd gen MR2 would be my perfect attainable dream car if they had made it in a couple bodystyle. I just think that soft top is hideous. Such a missed opportunity by Toyota.

Ditto. If it was an aw11 I'd say the MR2. But gen 2 is just gross

its also the fastest in the twisties

the MR-S has a better power to weight ratio than a NB

only disadvantages are
- the looks
- no trunk
- macpherson struts

What's wrong with it?

It's the best of the 3 W cars.

Bought an MR-S with a 2ZZ and haven't looked back.

Shit is fucking fast

I'm gonna add a Mishimoto radiator, baffled oil pan, tons of chassis stiffening, coilovers, and some RPF1s.

mx5. if it was a 1st or 2nd gen mr2 and wasn't a daily, I'd choose that. 3rd gen mr2s are aight tho, but the aftermarket isn't as healthy as the miata's and also muh popups. still a great car though, with a better engine, but dailying a midship is a bitch.

>Dailying a midship is a bitch.

Your bus is midship tho

whichever one i could fucking fit in comfortably

Mirin

> dailying a midship is a bitch.
it does the job as well as my previous car, granted i don't carry shit around much