I hit a speed bump today going 25mph and now my brakes aren't quite working right...

I hit a speed bump today going 25mph and now my brakes aren't quite working right. I need to push my pedal almost all the way to the floor to get my breaks to engage.

This happened immediately after the speed bump. Am I fucked? Car is a 2012 Dodge Challenger. Going to take it to a dodge dealership tomorrow morning.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70FMlnN3Qkw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Duuuuude it's a car so it's Veeky Forums related xd

>Going to take it to a dodge dealership tomorrow morning

Don't waste your money at the stealership, the brake pads are just out of line from the jolt. To reset them you just need a hard speed brake to snap them back in line. Get on the freeway and get her up past 90. Then stab the brakes as hard as you can and hold the throttle with the other foot. Do this until you feel the brakes snap back in place with a loud thunk. Make sure it's late at night though, so you don't get nipped.

Anons I am seriously ignorant about automobiles. pls help

If you take it to the dealership, chances are you're not gonna leave without finding out about $10,000 worth of other issues you never even knew the car had.

Take that shit to Brakeway or Auto Zone or local garage. Fuck Chrysler

Don't go to auto zone, those guys are fucking retarded

Go to pep boys, for real they're good with brake jobs and don't charge much

Oh fine I'll quite being snarky. Look up your cars engine bay in your vehicle handbook. Find out where the brake fluid reservoir is and check to see if it has any fluid in it. Sounds like you fucked a brake line and without fluid the brakes don't work.

Also consider this a wake up call that you rely on a very complicated piece of equipment and it's in your best interest to understand how that piece of equipment works, because you could get yourself and others killed through ignorance.

You may have got some air in the lines. Bleed it yourself faggot.

I just checked and the reservoir is filled almost to the top with a dark brown fluid. I think it may be likely that I got air in my brake lines. They could be described as squishy.

>a dark brown fluid
That needs to be bled anyway.

The local Honda dealership fixed a recent airbag recall and 4 other recalls I didn't know existed for free.

Dealerships can be good for some things. Free oil changes and shit while under warranty, etc.

Bleed the fucker

Not just bleed, flush. Don't stop bleeding until the fluid comes out new, not just when it stops bubbling.

They are legally required to fix recalls for free you moron

I'm aware. Just pointing out that it's something a local dealership is convenient for.

try pumping the breaks to stop. do they get harder the more you pump?

I tried this a little bit earlier and didn't notice anything. When I apply the brakes there is a slight resistance and it barely effects the speed of the car. It wont until i depress the pedal all the way down.

Just take it to the dealership. If you don't know what you're doing, just let someone who does work on it. If you are skeptical about their diagnosis, ask Veeky Forums.

from what it sounds like, you need a new master cylinder

>speed bump

Is that what we're calling commies now?

Ok boys I got an update.

Brakes need to be flushed and master cylinder is starting to fail. Dealership wants 700$ to fix it. Should I take it somewhere else? They cant fix it today and want me to come get the car. I am in FL so they are closing for the storm.

All because I hit this fucking shitty speed bump in palm beach that was made of brick and was hard to see. Ran right over it. Fuck me.

Could I make an insurance claim?

>5 year old car needs a master cylinder.
What's the warranty status?

Yeah, I was pretty sure that Chrysler had an awesome warranty

Maybe that's just the drive train

shit fucked

I just got back from the dealership. My warranty was only 3 years or 36k miles. They charged me nothing for the diagnostic and fixed my passenger side airbag (recall) for free so it wasn't so bad!

I am reading up on master cylinders and it seems like I probably have bad rubber seals which explains the black fluids. Is it hard to take out a master cylinder and replace the seals? If I can use google to learn as much as I know about computers and firearms (i'm from /k/) why not?

I have a lot of tools and a jack at my parents house where I am hunkering down for the storm this weekend. I will have a lot of time to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=70FMlnN3Qkw

related

>take out a master cylinder and replace the seals?
No. You just replace the whole thing.