/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Another World edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Reminder that there is nothing wrong with building an above ground human hamlet instead of a dwarf fort.

Nice image, where'd it come from?

Need them drawing this cat casually "standing" upside down on a tree branch as if to show off to the dorf trying to climb down from higher up.

I know the basics of Dorf and Rimworld but honestly I don't know which one to invest my time into.

Dorf obviously has far more things, but Rimworld feels more like a game, with easier to access interfaces, graphics, animations, sound, etc. More importantly, it has balance, while Dorf is full of exploits.

serioulsy

these utter bastards mine ONE tile and then refuse to touch the rock after I've managed to lock them inside the shaft, what gives?

but what about cabins?

You're comparing a game to a story generator.

Nothin wrong with that either.
>tfw comfy cabin with your waifu or husbando in the middle of the woods never ever

Please don't post early threads. Dwarf Fortress General is not a fast general. Thanks.

JUST DIG THE FUCKING HOLE YOU GODDAMN NIGGER

To be fair it was only like two posts early.

>implying any time before page 9 isn't too early

how much damage is a sandbag going to do if it hits a dwarf after falling 54 z-levels?
maybe this wasn't a good idea

FUCK CLIMBING

FUCK TOADY AND HIS FOREVER SHITTY, UNTESTED CODE

I'M GOING BACK TO 40d

this is giving me a chuckle

>ASCII image includes evidence of failed removal a graphics set

3/10 OP. You got points for using something new.

has anyone tried messing around with a miner who had high climbing skill, either an ex-adventurer or some sort of animal person petitioner? wonder if they'd climb more reliably
anyway, the old
>stairstack
>channel out one z-level at a time, starting at the top
>make sure the bottom is connected to something
routine is pretty much dwarven-idiot-proof

>game is literally actually really called dwarf fortress
really toggles my cats

I have a set of stairs outside the shaft itself

On several occasions I managed to lock in one or two miners with each level designated in succesion using mining priorities to mine one layer at a time, it's just that no matter fucking what they will at one point stop and absolutely refuse to take any new mining orders

I can't see what's not idiot proof about my approach. If a dwarf is locked in, has a pick, has mining labor enabled, he should be mining unless he's severed his hands

>dwarven-idiot-proof
So long as it's only a 1-tile stack or you've only got 1 miner. Otherwise you'll get miners divging stairs out from under each other and falling down the rest.

What you're saying is that Dorf is only good if you have creativity?

God damn Legends mode would be massively improved if it had some sort of syntax highlighting, unless Toady plans to make this stuff flow more naturally.

it's all fine as long as you don't designate on more than one z-level at a time
I had my 5-6 miners dig a 5x5 pit with no injuries that way in this fort
slow going but it always works

Do you mean 1x1 stairs in the middle of a 5x5 dig, or 5x5 stairs that you turn into a pit? Because if it's the latter you were really lucky none of your miners fell down the stairs.

the latter. and no, I don't think I am, I've done this more times than I can count. as long as you only channel one z-level at a time it's pretty much bulletproof

Have some shitty OC

Wow, this is a pretty valuable ring

/dfg/ has some really creative people (not just players), but there are some profoundly uncreative players here too who still manage to have fun. You don't need to be creative to dig a few rows of rectangles and slaughter a few hundred goblins in an afternoon.

>not including how many images of itself it has

forgot

one day tode will grant us generated names that have something to do with the thing they're named for

Well, I didn't see that it was that early, it was on 752/9 when I saw it.

I'm saying it's better if you have imagination, though the community itself is better because of the creative output as a result of df.

Dorf is literally a story generator with game-like features.

>copper
lazy mooding desu

Well that takes care of the werecamel problem I guess

You'll play rimworld and mess around with mods for a week and then get bored. There's just not much to the game except trying to survive with small numbers.

In dwarf fortress you would mess around with it for a week and get confused on what to do next after your first few forts die some "strange" way. Then you mess with adventure mode and have some fun but mainly die because stuff. This is where you either quit or continue playing. If you continue then you'll probably mess with more advanced stuff like mega projects or harder embark sites. Not to mention dwarf fortress is , like user said, a story generator.

Look up the legends viewer. It's easier to use 3rd party program like the rapist and has a clean GUI for you.

Don't civil dwarfs only climb if in combat?

>of failed removal a graphics set

user, what?

>Dark text on dark background

Stop saying this, it's plenty readable in this situation else nobody would use it.

I think that my problem with Dwarf Fortress is that the game seems to sacrifice a bit of the "gameplay" aspects. For example, the fact that a master quality adamantite pickaxe/battleaxe isn't any faster at mining/chopping than a regular copper no quality one.

Or how you get all these different organs and meat types from butchering animals, even though it's rather pointless, as all you can do it make different dishes(that serve the same purpose anyway) with them.

Or how a lot of skills are rather inconsequential with very specific uses, and how increasing their level of most skills hardly changes anything other than the speed(which often is also very inconsequential).

It just feels that Rimworld is more designed to be a game rather than a simulator.

OK guys, small story time:

>girlfriend decides to try df
>ask if she wants tilesets, or to use mods to "assist" new players (no sieges , etc)
>wants to play vanilla, like me
>ok.jpg
>walk her through the basics, she insists after an hour & a half or so for me to take off the training wheels and just let her go on her own
>literally 15 minutes later she gasps, pauses, and turns to me.
>"tanner! (Me) ... tragedy has befallen the fortress! I don't know what to do! "
> I walk over, she is blinking back little tears
>"little tanner isn't moving and is blinking, and covered in blood! What happened? ?"

>she accidently designated every tree on the z level of her fort outside to be chopped down, thinking she was designating all the plants to be collected.

>little tanner apparently had a log fall on his leg, and it exploded into gore

>she didn't have a hospital yet,

>but, she DID have about 100 beds and doors set to be hauled at once because she wanted to "get the slums out of the way"

Little tanner ended up getting crutches, and made a "recovery" in the back-alley hospital.

Because she felt bad for him, all he does now is sit on his carpentry shop, not even haul, and make tables.

"I dont want to overwork him!"

Would anybody be interested in a mod that gives dwarves gender roles? It would play into who you pick for noble and military roles. eg female dwarves would be better consolers but physically weaker, so they'd be more likely to become mayors and you wouldn't prefer them in the military.

That's cute user.
She cares about her dorfs.

I never even look at their gender.
They all have beards.

this.

dorfs and elves both have zero sex dimorphism. possibly gobbos too.

humans should have a larger sex dimorphism, though.

Would you eat it?

That's really cute. I wish I knew those feels
>tfw you will never play df for the first time again
>tfw you will never have someone teach you how to fort
>tfw you no longer feel remorse or sadness when your trusty woodcutter gets fucked up from multiple falling logs
>tfw you feel nothing when you designate a hospital at the entrance of the fort so his unconscious body serves as werebeast bait

Only 336?? Only exceptional quality?? Tis fit only for a peasant

That's a pretty great take on the "sad #10" gif.

I've already got varied dimorphism in my modded dwarf/human/elf/goblin +1 races, but they're supposed to be like, heroic archetypes, so trading a badass valkyrie for a delicate but sensitive dorf chick sounds like a shit deal.

Ok that's pretty evil.

what? Reminding you that you will never play df for the first time again?

No using your bedridden dwarves as bait is.

>tfw you no longer feel remorse or sadness when your trusty woodcutter gets fucked up from multiple falling logs
>tfw you feel nothing when you designate a hospital at the entrance of the fort so his unconscious body serves as werebeast bait

>implying he had a bed

Goblin please.

Year 2

Getting ready for the goblins, we're supposed to be at war so I'm kind of scared. I've never held off a force of darkness before.

This guy here.

I made a test world and tried it again. This time I made ten copies of the book, and tried putting one on the table, one in the library chest, one in the bookcase, and just keeping a bunch on my person when I retired. I don't know which of those was the key element, but something worked, as the dwarves read the books right away when I unretired. Gonna try it on my actual fort now.

>this is a new fort
>I haven't breached the caverns yet
>dwarf makes artifact describing something that no one else knows about
Literally how?

Your dwarves lived lives before embarking in your fort user. Also stories get passed on to children.

Dwarves come close to the divine when making artefacts, he got a touch of omniscience.

Except Thorngear is this fort, and 260 is this year.

Do they automatically animate everything? And if so are the pieces friendly with the other necromancers?

I didn't actually bother testing that. It'll be interesting if something goes wrong when I do it on my main fort.

The brook finally thawed, so now my shaft is filling up again.

It will probably be full before summer arrives.

I also finished up a large, multitile engravingabove my entrance, but it doesn't show well in screenshots, so I'm gonna drawfag it instead.

Holy shit, my baroness just died in the tavern.

It can't be the FB dust, because her body is clean, and she didn't bleed before she died.

It shouldn't be alcohol poisoning either, because I don't use bartenders in my taverns.

It's a shame. I liked that baroness. I selected her when she had just reached maturity, and she kinda grew up along with the entire fort.

Pretty cute for an above ground fort, I like the planning that went into th defense. That said:
>wood

>killing trees
>bad
hmm

Theres more fort below, civilian bedrooms/nobles/workshops etc are below. The military lives on the surface because of sun exposer issues.

Holy shit, this giant olm got dangerously close to my windows.

I was saved by the statue gallery.

Oh yeah baby

If you're gonna build an above ground fort, you'd better be making the walls and fortifications out of stone blocks. Or, if you're an absolute legend, iron/steel bars.

How am I supposed to get my dwarves to dress the wounded with the cloth that's assigned to the hospital instead of grabbing a new piece from somewhere random each time? The hospital has a chest with the assigned cloth inside it, but they keep going elsewhere, even when the hospital chest is closer to them.

>you'd better be making the walls and fortifications out of stone blocks
why? because wood is haram?

is quad channel ram useful for DF? the only thread I found about it concluded nothing

I have no idea what that is but from my understanding juicing your RAM won't do anything. What matters is the speed at which the memory is read by your processor.

there is no functional difference between 4x1gb quad channel and 1x4gb stick.

Dual channel and other variations of that just let your os treat it as one stick, so that things like arrays (that are allocated to use memory sequentially and cannot be seperated) could go over onto the second stick, allowing for larger arrays than your single stick size.

In essence, with how cheap excessive amounts of ram is and how little impact it actually has on computational power, no, quad channel/dual channel is a complete meme and you probably got swindled.

Comfy.

I even have some fish now.

What the fuck?

I didn't know performers served booze.

That must be why my poor baroness died. And now people are fighting. Good grief.

Question: Is it safe to construct a wall one tile past the edge? The game says I can do it (Presumably because one edge of the wall is still technically contacting solid earth, but conventional logic tells me that this can only end in disaster...

backup your save and try it and find out

Finally, the central shaft is all filled up.

The fort is now built around a giant aquarium. God save us if someone smashes a window.

It's a shame so many good dorfs didn't live to see it.

God fucking dammit. A troll climbed up the volcanic vent my fort is based around and now he's knocking stuff over like an asshole. Oh look, a couple of fire imps decided the join the fun as well...

Fantastic...

Fuck, another alcohol poisoning victim.

Can't i even have performers without them doing bartender jobs, causing countless deaths?

Very nice!

Who draws these things I love it.

some no life nerd

A mere man, such as you or I

Local drawfag named Timbuk.
It is a fun style. Reminds me of Bill Peet.

Well, all my dwarves (with the exception of the children) are necromancers now. Not really sure what to do with them. I haven't seen them raise anything, though they've definitely walked past corpses. No point having a food industry any more really, they don't eat, drink or sleep.

> Well, all my dwarves are necromancers now.

Why though?

To see what would happen.

Necrodancers only raise corpses when threatened. That being said you should get fuckton of animals and try breaching hell with few necromancers.
What's the worst thing that could happen anyway?

May as well I suppose. They just party all the time now since there's not really any jobs to do.

So /oneofus/

Wished I could draw like that.

I like his style too reminds me of the storybooks I used to read as a child.

Reposting preview for the next version up to now

Best new feature still is sending out dorf expeditions.

no.

NPC adventurer parties and spies are the best features.

I really look forward to having some real rivals in adventure mode, and protecting yourself from spies in fort mode seems fun, as well.