Does anyone think the 80s and 90s is the best era asthetic wise?

I feel like everyone just shills for the 50s and 60s.

yeah because you can show most people either the front back or side of an R32 and they'll know what car it is

Don't worry, user, it's ok to be retarded in this day and age. Nobody blames you. They blame your parents.

bottom is disgusting
the early 80's were the cultural nadir of american't autos

I agree, OP. But is right. It's not even the best box.

The 80s and 90s were the technical peak for consumer auto body performance. Environmental regulations forced cars to become much lighter but safety regulations hadn't started making them heavy again and general technical advances made them more rigid and aerodynamic than the light cars of the 50s and 60s. This cements the reputation of the 80s and 90s and the aesthetic will enduringly be associated with that.

The 80's just took the designs of the seventies and made them cheaper and smaller. Nothing good came from that movement except the foxbody.

This is entirely subjective but at least in my opinion as a big car design autismo it peaked between 80's and 90's.
I do appreciate cars of the decades before (tons of beauties) but I rather enjoy clean lines and I have a raging boner for wedges.

I'd argue that it was the late 2000s

well, 2003-2009

>late 2000s

>late 2000s

Yeah, for really expensive sports cars maybe.
For the average car the 00's were incredibly bland and ugly because the bloating happened and designers didn't know yet how to hide it. You can't hide it but they're trying to achieve this by lots of incoherent creases and bumps which makes the 10s even worse then the 00s.

this.

Although I would argue that for the US at least, it was the early 90's where cars peaked.

car design sort of went to shit after the early 90's. we got abominations like the bug eyed Ford Taurus, or any of the other jellybean blobs of the decade.

meanwhile, the early 90's had the best Caprice and the best Town Car

>average cars in the 2000s

>incoherent creases

This fucking meme.
Back in the 80's and 90's aerodynamic was a big meme, hence shit tons of wedges and design parts that were actually helpful to get the coefficient down or at least looked like it which was cool because I like designs that actually serve a purpose or at least seem plausible.

Now they got so good at this that they literally go full retard and it doesn't fuck with the aerodynamic that much.

there were some that were pretty handsome

you have seriously shit taste

and another one of my favorites

That's why I say the 80s and 90s, which I think implies the peak being there in the middle on average. Early 80s cars hadn't gotten it right yet and are only good with their revised components from later. Some late 90s cars were definitely well on their way to being fucked up but the whole era is pretty directly comparable to the 50s and 60s.

*gurgling noises*
You guys calm down with the hate on modern car design or I will call the authorities.

then let me be number 20489482309457923472048247th guy that posts a picture of the miura and an f40

the 2000s are the perfect blend of cutting edge technology and lack of electronic nannies covered in a rich coat of evolved aesthetics. it was (with no argument) the best era for the car enthusiast

I have an opinion too

Your problem is that you see a "car" as a inextricable package. Of course drivetrains are going to constantly improve there's never going to be a reason to intentionally make them less efficient and to a lesser extent suspensions constantly advance as well. Bodies, on the other hand, are terribly subject to regulation. 80s and 90s consumer platforms are the best consumer platforms available performance-wise and so their aesthetics become associated with that.

The Grand National was fucking cool.

now i have to say, is this opinion just because the cars of the 80s/90s the ones that have dominated the pictures of magazines/blogs covering modified cars, or do you really think that they're aesthetically superior? all the flat sides, incandescent bulbs, discordant lines, etc. is that really more appealing to you, or is it more of an association with the cars that people commonly modify and improve?

It was just a black Regal.

I will admit that the early 00's MAYBE. there WERE some interesting cars to come out of there. The XLR is impressive in person.

But most cars were really shitty looking. the outliers are few and far between. the 00's continued the trend of making most common commuter cars look like bland shit.

the 80's/90's were the last decade of postwar car design.

the people that were designing cars in the 90's were the same people who were making them in the 50's. The 80's and 90's were the end point of a generation of car design. The total cumulative knowledge of the Greatest Generation's car design philosophies condensed, and in the 90's they were liberated from the design constraints of the previous decades by molded headlight technology, and no longer having to make bumpers a seperate part of the car.

90's were also the last decade the Greatest Gen were relevant, since they were already hitting their 70's and 80's. past the 90's, Boomers started to take over car design, having started in the 90's themselves, resulting in shit like the 2005 Mustang's design, which while I personally enjoy- is pure boomer bait.

AKA, my point is that the 80's and 90's are often held in high regard because of that factor. there is often a very clear design lineage from 50's cars to 90's cars. (thought not always mind you)

>the people that were designing cars in the 90's were the same people who were making them in the 50's. The 80's and 90's were the end point of a generation of car design. The total cumulative knowledge of the Greatest Generation's car design philosophies condensed

Oh fuck, you really activated my almonds with that one

The aesthetics are synonymous with the design philosophy. Rounder cars look heavier and heavier is bad.

I really, really wish GM went full madman and used some crazy two-LS-motors-welded-together shit instead of that boat anchor of an engine.

Oh yeah, awesome.

You have seriously a different taste
>ftfy

Yes, but I'd include the 70s.

>90s
>Best anything
Absolutely not.

90s were the peak of reliability/serviceability.

LOL no they fuckin weren't it was the peak of American garbage cars that reigned in from the 80s

>late 80s cars were bad
>all cars are American cars
I'm guessing you weren't alive in the 90s.

Say that to my face, cunt.

Europoor detected

listen, it's not our fault that all your cars are tiny 2 cylinder 000.05 liter cuckmobiles.

american 'garbage car" peak was the 70's. when cost cutting meant quality cuts

some tastes are objectively bad.

like, if someone tells you they think the Nissan Juke or the Pontiac Aztek are good, they are objectively wrong.

80s is top tier aesthetics-wise, but the cars are all shit. I wish I could enjoy 90s-onward aesthetics, but for the large part, I can't. Everything is all round and bubble-shaped and I hate it, even though cars got so much better performance-wise after the 80s.

More about the actual asthetic than the "muh few simple mods meme"

Late 80s - Early 90s are the best of both worlds, desu.
>personal taste
>objectively
kys

This.

New cars with their odd lines and bloated bodies look like garbage.

Why were the 80 s so bad? Gomunism? Figuring out how to style and do new safety regs?

Yes. This car is proving to be timeless.

Fenders look like pinhead before he got stuck.

who says they were bad?

Why anyone would ever think brown and red should be paired is beyond me. Different colors and a rework of the naked mole rat face would work wonders for that cars looks.

I think it's supposed to look organic. like the brown is the hide and the red is the inner soft tissue

my nigger

>Late 80s - Early 90s are the best of both worlds, desu.
Shit u rite

The fucking oldsmobile is goddamn shit.

My girl owns a 92 cutlass itbox and I fucking hate it, everything falling apparent and its not a fun drive.

>25-year-old economy car isn't fun to drive
Really fires up the neurons.

I was just triggered by seeing that picture.

It's not even the same car that you described. I'm guessing by Cutlass you meant the shitty A-body model.

Why were the 80 s so bad? Gomunism? Figuring out how to style and do new safety regs?

The late 70's gas crisis plus increased safety regs iirc, and comfyness was in vogue.

The late 80s were fine.

Late 80's to mid 90's was best. In-between the blocky and the wavy, just right.

What's the bottom car?

Shwing

Coming to a never ending hard stop.

>the cars from my childhood were the most asthetic
>does anyone think this
yes, everyone

My childhood was the early 2000s, I've always hated the rounded-off blobcars of that era. Boxy 80s design a best

I bet a lot of the media you took in was 10-20 years old at the time.

>implying any of GM's sedans are distinguishable from the other

Doesn't help that the Big Three were literally building the same car over and over again until recently

nice bait

>n-no...
>...yes

>captcha is an 80s Merc wagon

Lincoln town car 1981-1989