/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

Game you're glad you didn't play edition.

Last thread: >Endless Space 2
- Official Wiki wiki.endless-space.com/
- Soundtrack soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack
- Community Hub games2gether.com/
-wiki
wiki.endless-space.com/
-Stats
Planets pastebin.com/3huefXGy
Ships pastebin.com/aabCNGau

>Stellaris
- Pastebin: pastebin.com/YHdisqem
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1: pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5: reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki: stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php

>Endless Legend
- Manual: cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki: endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE): well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot: multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet: hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements: pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories: mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

I'm not the only person who pretends the Horatio empire is full of sexy alien babes and that Horatio Prime is me, right?

1st for Distant Worlds is the best 4x game

So is Dawn of War 3 shit or no?

The Horatio empire is SUPER gay.

>not pretending you're Horatio in empire full of sexy Horatio

Lost Horatios are for genocide.

So I've been dealing with the Prethoryn for a while now, and I've kinda hit stagnation. Nothing is really being conquered, but I can't necessarily get into Prethoryn space because the assholes they're assimilating have their borders closed to me.

If I go to war with the assholes, obviously their borders open up to me, and they're too weak to actually do anything. Should I demand planets, or vassalize them? No matter what I'm very likely to lose any newly gained assets, but I need the open borders to do anything about the Prethoryn.

If you want their territory, demand planets. If you want them to just shut the fuck up, vassalize for shits and giggles, AI seems less scared of vassalization than of conquest.

Every single game I play the riftborn are little cunts. I have an easier time getting along with the cravers.

How would someone make the Combine from Half life in Stellaris? What Civics/Ethics would work best? (I.E. A master race of inventors and xeno clone armies)

xenophile/f. autoritarian, police state... Not sure what other civic.

Whatever trait involves killing the elderly.

Did you settle in their constellation?
You probably settled in their constellation.
Stay out of their constellation.

[muffled geometric REEEEEE in the distance]

>when pirates start near your waifu

Guess I'll have to trade her some planets later.

What's the best race in Endless Space 2 if you want to basically play as a cuck empire that has the majority of its population being a minor faction population, in case you wanted to roleplay as them or something? I'm guessing Riftborn?

i'll be done for today, just got started on the park- gotta sleep. still in the scenario making phase (because it's the only place you can place guest injection points and gates)

and if you notice this is fully handicapped accessible! (i don't need traditional enterances/exits because this is just for looks). Probably going to add a roof to the station "soon"

I did absolutely nothing wrong. I just settled NEAR their constellation :^)

>I'm guessing Riftborn?
You're guessing wrong. Riftborn is when you conscript every minor race you come across unless they produce manpower because fuck wasting my research and production on useless food buildings when I can be making more Riftborn and researching more important crap.

>fanatic authoritarian
>materialist
>oligarchy?
>police state
>syncretic evolution
>wasteful
Pretty much, you are a slaving despots empire who goes around the galaxy conquering planets to add species to your multiracial armies

Do rebellions actually ever happen in Stellaris? All I've ever gotten were pops changing to different ethics.

From everything I've heard it's half baked as fuck and in terms of overall design fails to live up to the first two.

I've had planets straight up defect back to the original owner two months after being conquered.

Don't forget MOBA-fication

I can't help but think I wouldn't lose ANY ships if there wasn't always one fucking jackass that charges forward and soaks all incoming fire instead of letting it spread evenly...

That's a meme, it's no more a moba than DoW2. If anything, if you're going to call DoW3 moba in any way then DoW2 was even more of a moba.

They can happen, but you'd have to be really incompetent to allow it.

Combat looks completely shit, which is a death sentence for Warhammer.

United Empire or Sophons, actually.

The official Riftborn policy on not Riftborn (unless you're one of those cucks that chooses the pacifist quest options) is "get in line and pick up a gun, we're not feeding you, go conquer this world before you starve."

I love DW and think it's a good 4x. But I don't know if it would qualify as THE BEST.

This was my main complaint with everything I've seen.
Somehow everything feels light, like it has no impact, yet at the same time if your guys get caught out of position they die really fast. Dow2 felt meatier if that makes sense

had a lot of rebellions in my fanatical purifier game. I guess they really don't like being my vassals

>leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooyyyyyyy

>Aaaaaaaallllllllaaaaahhhhhhhhh Oooooooo

>*jap pilot noises intensifying*

Police State
Syncretic Evolution
Cutthroat Politics.

What faction should I pick in ES2 if I'm a total shitter that has no clue how the game works?

They do, if you have a lot of unrest for too long, the rebellious pops can spawn armies and if your garrison isn't strong enough they'll win and create a new empire.

What is annoying is you don't automatically start at war with them. This is especially so if you're in a federation and your ayylien buddies don't let you reconquer your own system

Sophons or United Empire.

United Empire because they tend towards industry and military, which is the most intuitive gameplay.

Sophons because their ships are pretty good, and because Tech is King.

Riftborn because their ships and industry are the best in the game and can quickly snowball out of control.

>fleets inside your enemies borders just go MIA when the war starts
What the hell

Has anyone played Starpoint Gemini Warlords?

I played Gemini 2 and it felt like a shoddy X3

Now imagine this, but as I'm purging HAK HAK HAKs out and the fucks regain the territory, i'm kicked out because their borders were closed.

>not racing the HAKs to conquer everyone else
the sooner you conquer those planets the sooner the mines are running

They're on my doorstep, I have no other option.

How has Aku not been generic'd into a fantasy/sci-fi race yet?

> X3
Fuck off furfag.

I really don't get how these games make enough money to justify sequels. But hey maybe this one will be good.

2 sold decently well and was made by a tiny ass team. Warlords is more fleshed out and has a lot more going for it.

Anons why can't I build spaceports on my ring world sections? I'm playing on the 1.6.0 version right now.

I fucking love the Sophons aesthetically speaking, why must they be a giant meme

>Stellaris is a challenge
Yeah, a challenge to not fall asleep.

>It is however way overpriced
BECAUSE IT'S DISTANT WORLDS + ITS EXPANSION
Compare it to Europa Universalis 4 and ALL its DLCs and DW:U is still less expensive.

dunno senpai, should be able to

At what point is the War in Heaven event usually supposed to trigger? The spiritualist AE just vassalised one of the FEs and there was no event or anything.

>we'll backstab you, just so you know

They should really just get rid of this shitty mechanic.
>empire surrenders to me even though it didn't meet my demands at all because someone else was at war with them and got those planets instead
>MIA
>someone else declares war on me right after
>they proceed to fuck my shit up and my empire is in ruins before my ships return

I just don't understand the mechanic. If I was controlling them, they would be out of enemy borders within two months, but it takes a fucking year if they're MIA

it varies but 2330-2370 generally

It's supposed to prevent abuse of the type "place your fleets on their planets, DoW them and laugh and laugh and laugh". Not defending it, just saying

So the pacifist law is fucking ridiculous.

>EU4 is still $40 when not on sale
>All together it's $270
>With just the relevant DLC it would still be ~$200

This shit shouldn't be legal.

Are torpedoes targeted by kinetic weapons in ES2?
Because in my last battle against the vodyani it didnt look like it

Still playing Civ V here. What are your preferences regarding game length/map size? I can't decide between epic and marathon. Marathon is amazing for when shit is going down, but so boring when nothing is happening. Medium is out of the question, I like my CIV campaigns to be long and memorable.

At least Distant Worlds comes with all its expansions!

In fact, we shouldn't call it Distant Worlds but Distant Worlds : Universe.
That's why it's so expensive, it's one game + three huge expansions. It's not expensive because "lol cniché market" or any other bullshit.

The effect isn't visual, but kinetics provide a defense against missiles.

>still playing Civ 5

I played epic/marathon games long ago, but anymore I can only play normal otherwise I get bored from all the turns where I do nothing. The minor quibble of units becoming obsolete before they even hit the front lines is something I've just learned to live with.

You can see missiles getting shot down but the torpedoes hammerd into my ships and I could see that they did damage in scanner mode
I hate those fucking space gypsies

>tfw you cancel a building robot pop with 3 months left instead of the building on the
WiH only happens between two awakened empires, fallen empires don't count

Typical stellaris experience
>Make min/maxed race
>Hit destroyers
>No more expansion
>Deal with shit diplomacy and boring wars
>Restart as a new race
>Make fun non min/maxed RP race
>Keep with it until cruisers
>Get bored because crises are still a ways off >already dominated my chief opponents.

Fix the game already Wiz.

>No more expansion
sounds like someone is bad at the game

What do you recommend? I still only have 200 hours in it, though.

>What the hell
Especially stupid when it's a rebellion launched by a vassal. If anything the AI shouldn't be declaring a war of independence while their overlords have ships in their borders.

>He expands quickly, beats his opponents and gets bored
>Must be bad
We get it Wiz, Stellaris is a flawless game and anyone who has a complaint isn't RPing right.

Actually I am just shitposting. Personally I prefer Civ 6 because it's (almost) as complete as Civ 5 and it has local happiness/sanitation (in the form of housing), and I prefer the card system for the government over how they do it in Civ 5.

To answer your question I always play on the biggest map size, even though it takes for fucking ever. Just feels gamey if it's too small.

>It's supposed to prevent abuse of the type "place your fleets on their planets, DoW them and laugh and laugh and laugh". Not defending it, just saying
If Paradox could program their game properly then planets would have useful defences, and there might be diplomatic penalties or events related to putting an entire warfleet over the capital of another empire.

The simple solution is to make declaring a war while a fleet is in an enemy system "dishonorable" or some shit and come with a stiff diplomatic penalty. The best part is it would breathe some degree of life into the game because they could make it so that Honorbound warriors hate that shit and will outright attack you if you pull a stunt like that.

Do they plan on making it visible? Since everything else about their combat system is supposed to be a spectacle.

It is visible

Does stellaris have increased maintenance for distance? Here are some things I'd like to throw to the wind:

Diplo hit for having ships in territory that doesn't belong to you but belongs to someone else + your suggestion, IE people should see it as super greasy.

Highly increased maintenance for having ships away from home sectors, to represent supply, etc.

Perhaps fleet morale? I guess I just don't like how in all these 4x games everyone has standing armies that can just fuck about with zero consistency.

It's no more visual than armor. Shields are the only real visible defense on ships. Part of me wishes they'd have kept the flak from ES1. Kinetics are just too good in their current state, but part of that is also the AI can't build ships for shit and don't know how to counter your own builds.

Maintenance could use a rework. Part of the issue with doomstacks currently is that it's too much trouble and costly to split your fleet up and have them flying around to strategic positions. They should get rid of the orbit thing and make it so that as long as your fleet is in your territory it has full logistical support and doesn't cost anything extra to run.

How much of a step up is insane AI on Stellaris from hard?

Should I keep the AI on aggressive?

I like grand strategies, but I don't like them being based on real history, so turning up a civ game to the biggest time and size kinda compensates for that craving. What are your opinions on steam reviews of civ 6? People shit on it a lot with what seems like valid points.

>AI
>step up
only actual difficulty increase is taking fanatic purifier on a crowded map

List their points. The AI is the only gripe I have with it and they tuned it a bit.

>taking fanatic purifier on a crowded map
this has actually been pretty fun

>singlehandedly saving the galaxy from HAK HAK HAK
>most of the empires in the federation I'm associated with revoke their migration treaties

...guys?

>singlehandedly doomed the galaxy because I kept a war going with the two other largest empires when they invaded because I wanted a couple of planets

Oh apparently I'm genocidal? What the actual fuck, I'm not purging anything, is it because of the full bombardment?

yup

That should really only count negatively when I'm actively killing things that aren't extra-galactic invaders.

AI, mostly. The thing is that most negative reviews come from the last 30 days - almost 50^ negative, while overall it's 70% positive.

Not sure really. A lot of the negative reviews are likely centered around the DLC, which you might as well ignore. Really should be a tag for any negative review mentioning DLC. Stupid shit like adding an extra civ for 5 bucks doesn't bother me but apparently it's the WORST THING EVER.

Diversity is our strength.

We need the extra-galactic immigrants to keep our economies afloat.

Don't be on the wrong side of history.

>Can't use the minor faction portraits for custom races

Lame; I wanted to play as the cooler version of the Sophons

dude science lmao

Could any of the races of Auriga actually survive the eternal winter?

Broken Lords might be able to with a stable source of Dust, but I'm not sure anyone else could.

I can see them having a sophon hero named Lord Lmao.

>trying to get a powerful empire to break his defensive pact with an empire he should rightfully hate
>he has the allied to rivals opinion penalty of me
>he has no rivals
>I'm rivalled to his ally
>he doesn't have the rivals with allies penalty towards me