Im looking at a '08 g37 with 77k miles tomorrow. Owner says it runs good, no problems...

Im looking at a '08 g37 with 77k miles tomorrow. Owner says it runs good, no problems. Also has upgraded carbon fiber interior trim, coil overs and a red gtr start button. Hes asking 10k.

What does Veeky Forums think of this deal? Should i try and talk him down? To what price? He says 2 other people are interested and its only been listed for 4 days now...

Is an 08 g37 a bad buy? Its almost 10 years old and id hate to buy somthing that people are gonna "rag" on me about... Like "man those are old news" or "those used to be cool, but not anymore."

What should i inspect or look for during my test drive tomorrow. What should i ask about it? Owner says hes selling at a "trade in" price. Selling privately because dealers keep lowballing him in trade in value...

Other urls found in this thread:

thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-are-five-reasons-why-you-need-to-buy-an-infiniti-g-1706059119
louisville.craigslist.org/search/cta
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2008-infiniti-g37-coupe/6263020272.html
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/88-bmw-735i-5-speed-manual/6297989351.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumping with a frustrated kitten.

And some creepy shit..

At that low mileage it might not show early signs of any pre mature failure, get it inspected at a shop for any damage under the car

.. And a favorite..

What kind of damage?

>Is an 08 g37 a bad buy? Its almost 10 years old and id hate to buy somthing that people are gonna "rag" on me about... Like "man those are old news" or "those used to be cool, but not anymore."

Naw man, g37's are pretty good cars. Nobody's going to tell you shit. I drive a 10 year old 5er and only ever had compliments. Anyway there's no point in giving a shit about people talking shit to begin with. I remember you from the qtddtot, it'll be a fun and comfortable car user.

>What should i inspect or look for during my test drive tomorrow. What should i ask about it?
Check the interior, check for scratches, check to see if the car has had oil changed every 5,000 miles. Check if tranny fluid has been drained and filled
as most of them start to break down around 60k. Make sure there's no electrical problems or ac problems. Remember any little thing wrong with the car gives you leverage in talking down the price. Don't try to talk him down too much though or he might get pissed.

Accidents/ possible frame damage. Run the VIN, maybe even get a compression and Leakdown test done

U mean like obd2 scan results?

Compression and leak down test what?

Dude just look on yelp, find a reputable mechanic, call in saying you need a pre-purchase inspection. Will be about 100-150 bucks. If seller does not agree to bringing car to mechanic, run. Also make sure it has service records

How do o see if the tranny fluids been changed or not? by his word?

Ive seen pics and the cars exterior and interior is in great condition. Clean title, 2 owners.

thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-are-five-reasons-why-you-need-to-buy-an-infiniti-g-1706059119

Im feeling better already lol.

I just hope this person didnt beat it to death... Thats what im worried about. How to know?

You can't really see, you can just ask and hope he has documentation, if not then you'll just have to test drive it to see if it's shifting smoothly or get it inspected. Or just take his word. I didn't get my car inspected and it still runs perfectly 15k miles later

Don't. Get a stock one with a good history. You'll have to spend more though.

Gee I don't know
The red GTR start button might be a great big indicator that your seller is a fucking douchebag and likely dogged the shit out of this thing

Fuuuuck

I doubt this helps much. But it eases my mind a tad...

The seller is an adult, very literate and is well spoken. He has 3 other nice cars in his driveway and lives in a nice expensive neighborhood and house. I could tell by the background of the pics he sent. He also said it was a weekend car and didnt drive it a whole lot. 77k miles for a 9 year old car is purrdy good. He even went as far as to point out his asking price is well under the market value (about 3k under) and that other similar cars in the entire mid west had more miles, and higher prices, and even some salvaged cars are priced higher. Basically he knows this is a steal for anyone in the market and may not budge off his asking price of 10k. Hes also throwing in 4 seprate wheels and winter tires.

Would any of the above information help ease your mind a bit? Or is it all moot.
Ive been screwed over in the past buying used and im just fucking scared to throw my hard earned money in the trash again.

Yeah always buy cars off people with money.

Its less likely they are just trying to dump it because they cant afford repairs they know it will need soon

>tfw have dumped 2 cars like that as a poor person
The really fucked one went to a dealership at least

Theres a thread where you can share those stories. I made it, but keep that between us.

No. Modded = shit

Buy a stock one. A non-degenerate would at least put it back to stock before selling it.

Ive owned a 300zx a g35 and a g37

I can tell you this avoid at all cost anything that seemed to be boy racer owned, try and find single owner examples. There are too many of these on the market to settle for the first one you see.

Pajeet's probably lying about the other interested. Take it to a reputable shop and have it looked at, ask for service records, the usual.

GL Muhammad!

why so? he didnt touch the exhaust or engine components. apparently he installed kw v3 coilovers, eibach pro allinment front camber control arm, and eibach pro alinment rear camber and toe kit... i have no clue about those brands or what they do. are they solid? will they have fucked with the cars reliability?

any input on this?

I mean those aren't cheap brands at all, but you said only coilovers earlier... seems like he's touched much more.

It's all a balancing act and we are all trying to help you as best we can, but sorry OP none of us can definitively say "Yes, the car is clean and well taken care of by a middle class somewhat responsible boy racer" or "No it was the irresponsible boy racer and did all kinds of dumb fuck ups, redlines, toegaying (abuse on all components), half-assed modification"

Ya just can't say till you fully inspect it and put another 10k miles on it

I will say - seems decent OP, jump on it after inspection

My whole point about what I said earlier was that there are just too many stock ones around that have been driven by normal people to get one that may have any indication that it was ridden hard.

Sure the clilovers and camber kits are done right and they aren't cheap but commingnfromna guy who is all like

"Whoa I'm selling it oh so cheap what a deal my loss your win!!"

If it's too good to be true then it probably is. With the way it seems you'll likely find out this car loses more oil than Deepwater horizon.

the stock ones around here have a ridiculous amount of miles on them for the price they want. or they were salvaged early in their life and have low miles but still high priced and not takeing into concideration that its still a rebuilt title.

maybe the seller is getting low offers for his trade in because obviously dealerships are going to see any after market modifications as devaluing the automobile. maybe he "knows" its worth more than their offering. idk.

post you local craigslist.

This

There has to be a better deal. Also why not a G35?

g35s are shit. even a modded g37 is better that one of those.

I guess. Its Renault shit so I don't really care.

If you're reading this OP, just wait a while. There's bound to be a better one soon with a less shit done to it.

Do it OP. I sold my old G with a coolant leak to some retard as is. It blew up on the highway on his way home. :^]

>and a red gtr start button
Well shit man you gotta get it now

OP get the cash, tell him you want a test drive and inspection, if all's clear then get it. People on Veeky Forums can't guarantee you one way or the other.

louisville.craigslist.org/search/cta

test drive is scheduled for today at 5. i just asked if hes opposed to me getting an inspection locally... we will see what he says. if he says no or makes excuses then im just gonna cancel all together because then he is prolly hiding somthing.

anyways what exactly do mechanics to for a pre inspection? what do they inspect?

welp he just said that its fine for me to get it inspected as long as he goes with me. i mean if i was hiding somthing i woulda just never replied...

I imagine they look at shocks, brakes, tires, check for leaks anywhere, check steering and alignment

I didn't have mine inspected and I'm still loving it 15k miles later, sometimes people are just honest and took care of the car. I hope that ends up being the case for you user.

get this one instead.

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2008-infiniti-g37-coupe/6263020272.html

>$3,000 more dollars
>5,000 more miles
"No"

thanks pal. what car did you buy? was it an older model at the time you bought it?

"it's stock"
"mileage is basically identical"

and it's been listed for almost a month so he'll probably take less.

op here. i saw that one and 10k is really all the cash i can spend without financing. and i cant afford full coverage if i finance. also... ive been hideing somthing from you all... i want an automatic. the car im scheduled to look at today is an auto.

and boom goes the dynamite.

then you can't afford this car period. you cant afford the premium gas. you can't afford full coverage (which you should have on any car)

get this instead. it's more in your budget.

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/88-bmw-735i-5-speed-manual/6297989351.html

actually i can afford the gas. +.40 cents per gallon rather than (insurance quote)x2.

No problem bud, I bought an 07 530i so going on 11 years, holding up very well but I take care of it.

if you're worried about an extra 100-150 bucks a month no, you can't afford it.

very good. arent those supposed to be problematic though?

Nah they're bulletproof. The turbo and V8 models are the ones that have issues.

it would have been about $312 a month.screw that. dont need it. lets say that ive been paying for full coverage for the past 5 years... and never been the cause of an accident. then i just wasted 5 years worth of paying double for insurance.

if the 530i is bulletproof, then how would you describe the g37 vq? in terms of reliability.

you must have a shit record. just get a civic for 3k or fix your current car while you save money.

They are pretty solid to be honest, the v6 in those are relatively simple and reliable. The manual ones can have issues with the slave cylinder but that's about it. As long as you stay on top of maintenance you'll be fine.

The valve train is incredibly complicated in the 3.7

OH JESUS OP DROPPING THE BOMB

You can't afford the car dummy. I was one of the people earlier helping you out, but now that we know your finances, you can't even afford it. You are worrying about 2-figure dollar amounts. It does guzzle premium gas, I get 19mpg in my G37, you do need/want insurance for your nice "new" car (I didn't get in an accident before, that means I never will!), etc.

Save up more money kid, or get a civic

Ah I didn't know that, well they make good power for a naturally aspirated V6 so it makes sense that they've gotten everything they could out of the valve train.