I'm buying a used car in the next couple weeks. Convince me to buy a manual...

I'm buying a used car in the next couple weeks. Convince me to buy a manual. I've been driving automatics for more than a decade and I kinda want to try a stick but also kinda want to stick to what I know. How long does it take to learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ
youtu.be/Ec34hbWaRgE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nobody can persuade you to buy stick, if you don't want to buy one. It takes an afternoon and a parking lot to drive safely on the streets and about 2 weeks worth of driving to get comfortable with the whole concept, if you are not retarded that is.

Takes a few hours, max, to get competent, takes a few weeks to get good.

I don't buy manual because I don't feel like spending brain power on shifting.

Definitely a useful skill to have.

Stypid twat
Formula one supercars use only automatic trans since its the only transmission that speeds faster than anybof your wanking sticks.
If you want to be that guy who wants to persuade everyone to have big balls buy manual.
Btw manual is less safe than automatic in traffic jams and mountanious roads

Can one get a better mileage with manual since you can ride with as low rpm as you decide? Or do automatics also automatically shift as high as possible?

Rally uses manual tho, and i'd much rather emulate rally than some goddamn formula shit.

Bought a 911 as a first manual car. Drove it everyday to work after I bought it.

>manual is less safe on mountainous roads
Have fun burning your brake pads

Rally cars are highly updated. You cant find such gearboxes in civil teenager cars like civics or camry. Also driving like rally in city is dangerous atleast kill yourself inside your bath if you want to die dont hurt other people.
Cunt

Stoping by changing gear is more harmful to your engine. Your engine costs more expensive than break pads, kid

proof?

You don't seem to know what the fuck you are talking about...
Current F1 cars can, at best be called 'semi automatic', in that the clutch paddle is only used to launch the car from a dead stop, so either from the start line, or in the pit box/garage...all other shifting requires the use of up/down shift paddles, which are manually operated by the driver...
Get to know your shit before you think about talking about shit...cause fuckers like me will be here to call you out...
Fucking retard...

>nocarz

Take it easy, kid
Dont explode

You're retarded. Engine braking doesn't harm your engine.

It harms, dumbass
Thats why stupid yucks like you try to act cool and use rally tecnique heel toe when change gear driving in city

Formula cars are highly updated. You can't find such gearboxes in civil teenager cars like civics or camry. Also, dirivng like formula in city is dangerous, atleast kill yourself inside your bath if you want to die, dont hurt other people.
Cunt

Why the fuck would engine braking harm the engine?

I dont drive civics nor camry.
We have alot ot of right side steering wheel jdm cars. Never understood teenage obsession with them.

Jesus you really are a little slow aren't you?

Thanks for letting me know.

Explain in what way it harms the engine

Choose whatever source you want from pic.
My brother is an ex truck driver and german auto exporter with 10 years europe to asia experience, i will trust rather him than sperg teen who wanks to japanese junk from 80s and 90s

Are you Polish? or some kind of slav?

>is engine braking harmful
>does downshifting (engine braking) cause extra
>is engine braking bad for the engine

Holy shit, so much PROOFZ

With your own words, please tell us what harm comes to an engine when you engine brake. You appear to be quite the expert

idk senpai all of these search results in the picture tell you that it's not harmful as long as the rpm difference isn't so big that the clutch slips.

>In all, given proper care and maintenance, consensus is that engine braking does not add any statistically significant...

>When you use "engine braking", all you are doing is ..... for keeping speed on downhills isn't really bad for your car.

>Shifting to a too low gear will cause wear and damage to the gearbox and clutch
Or this happens
youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ

Well yeah ofc engine doesn't like it when the rpm goes too high, you aren't supposed to let the engine get too high rpm when accelerating either.

So learn your car and don't moneyshift?

You guys dont even know the basics

youtu.be/Ec34hbWaRgE

Is he really implying that the driveshaft will be somehow damaged by engine braking?

Engine braking is an archaic tecnique used by ford t drivers and wannabe "big balls" guys who revv their car so people around them could hear their pseudo tuning engine

enjoy your glazed/cooked/fading brakes when going down a hill

He's also implying that you're wasting gas, I guess that injection cutoff isn't a thing and we were using carbs all along.

I once drove my mitsubishi delica for about 20 kms with hand brake. Though it melted the pads nothing serious happened

buy the one with RWD or AWD
no fun at all at manual FWD

OP have a friend who drives stick be with you when you leave the lot and buy the car, because you will stall and stall and might even burn your clutch if you keep stalling. Get your friend to drive you to a parking lot and practice going from neutral to 1st. More than likely you'll have an easy stage clutch if it's stock, but it'll still take you about 4 hours to get neutral to 1st down. Avoid uphills with all your might until you have time to practice going from neutral to 1st on them, because you will roll back and possibly hit someone behind you if you aren't quick enough.

What he is talking about is using your gears actively to slow the vehicle down to a halt or to slow down to a corner, "replacing" the brakes

When the general populace talks about engine braking we're talking about using the engine to keep a constant/near constant speed going down a hill, largely reducing the need for brakes in that scenario

What is he on about is
>locking up the wheels
This is a question of knowing your vehicle, the terrain and your tires.
>"shocking" the drivetrain
The drivetrain is all oiled & greased, and constructed of really fucking solid metals. This shit is made to take punishment. The same "shock" will always happen whenever you clutch out and reconnect the drivetrain
>wasting fuel
Welcome to the post-1970s! We have injection systems that cut off fuel when you're engine braking and similar. The TINY fucking amount of fuel that could ever be used inbetween when you clutch in, change gears, and clutch out is immeasurable
>clutch
Sure. The more you use a clutch the sooner it will wear out - in theory. Still, what really kills a clutch is overheating it, which is caused by slipping it way too slowly and usually with too high RPMs. If you do a typical quick clutching the wear is as minimal as it gets

Dude if acceleration isn't harmful for the drive shaft then deceleration isn't gonna be harmful either.

FWD assuming front engine is the most weight efficient setup tho.

I like to add that
>It can actually be less stressful to the engine due to the lack of combustion in which cools it down a bit.

Hmm, maybe; but I'd assume that the effect is negligeble at best due to how hot the internals of the engine already is, and the effectiveness of a modern cooling system

Still; you might be on to something

>why would you abuse a $15,000 drive train to save $400 in brakes

ok that sounds pretty fair but what if I drive a 3k shitbox?

Don't listen to that bastard, deceleration will not do any more harm to the driveshaft than acceleration already does.

>engine braking
>harmful
Fuck me. It's not like you get taught to do this when learning to drive or anything.
HINT: You totally do get taught this, and it counts as a minor fault on your test if you footbrake only in a situation where engine braking would have helped you stop quicker. eg; emergency stop.

Why the fuck are we even replying to this shit anyway? It's baity mcbait and my cheek has started hurting. Dunno why.

Probably for the best. If you think it requires brain power to operate a manual, you have little of it to spare.

I managed to commute 10 miles in a Manual car despite only one lesson coming over a month before that day.

Once you get the basics down (which happens fairly quickly), you'll be able to move the car.

>emergency stop
Shouldn't ordinary brakes always have enough braking power to easily exceed the grip of the wheels in any condition?

well that sounds crazy because i dont know if id want to be throwing my engine into neutral at all during an emergency situation, even if just for a second

>manual doesn't require brain power
>manual requires brain power

which one is it fuccboi

He's implying that the earlier poster is stupid because he said that a manual transmission requires more brain power.

I ain't retarded, son, I know what he said.

Either manual takes more input from the driver or it doesn't. Input implies more brain power is necessary for driving the car.

>designated shifting stick
Maybe if you're buying a 90s or earlier car.
No reason for a manual in a modern car.

Ever heard of something called "personal preference"?
You keep your auto, I'll keep my manual.

>be in auto on mountain road
>sharp decline, want to keep engine in low gear
>approaching hairpin bend
>car upshifts, lose traction and die

Cars will stop faster in any conditions with brake + engine, than with just brakes alone.
The instructor WILL make you practice this shit until you get it down, b/c it's that damn important.
Once you've got your head round the mechanics of it, it takes almost zero effort to do and becomes a sort of instinct - As soon as you see shit go down in front of you, you're gearing down and stomping on the brake before you can even really process it.
It's just something you learn, and once you do it becomes almost automatic (pun intended).

It becomes muscle memory. It will only take brain power for the first week or so, then it all becomes rather subconscious.

But isn't the maximum amount of deceleration limited by tire grip? And surely brakes alone are capable of producing more friction/grip than the tires can.

engine braking is using the momentum of the car to turn the engine over, it's not directly arresting the speed so much as taking away some of the energy of the car from the equation altogether

>Yeah, dude, like, the engine magics the speed away, like, whoah!
Kill yourself.

Dude what? All that matters is the limiting factor, if the brakes aren't strong enough to be able to use the full static friction of the wheels then yes engine braking would make stopping faster but those would have to be some pretty damn shit brakes, think about it this way, most modern brakes will have enough power to lock the wheels of a vehicle, that means that they can create more friction than the wheels can so if you add on top of the friction created by the brakes some friction from the engine it's not gonna change anything.

Good fucking god the bait in this thread is almost as pathetic as the fuckhelmets actually replying to it.

Simon Pagenaud drives a manual Cayman around Indy

I hate everyone on this board Jesus Christ

it really only makes a difference over long periods of time going down a hill, because if you ride your normal brakes the entire time it'll heat up to the point where the pads just deform rather than rub the disc/drums. It's better to stay in gear down a hill because if you need to emergency stop then your brakes will still be fine

This is accurate.
However, every few weeks after getting comfortable you may find yourself in too high of a gear going through a turn at an intersection that you drove through hundreds of times before.
But you will also be sitting at home and want to drive somewhere, anywhere. Your life will improve a bit.

Anybody have the Manuel Transmission pic? The shifter with the sombrero?

>I ain't retarded
You probably say this way too often.
Sorry,we don't have the insurance to allow you to work at MacDonalds
I ain't retarded!
Hay bud,my special little pal,can you not hug that puppy so hard
I ain't retarded!
Here's a nice stick for you to play with.
I ain't retar...that is one sweet looking wood pointy thing.

>I ain't retarded
*Flies into a violent rage when at Grandma's house and can't find his swimming trunks*

You're pretty smart,for a dullard.

>can't drive a manual
>go online and shit talk manuals

Because I don't know how to stick and I have never been wrong on the internet,ever.

Wait,I'm a current truck driver.
Are you against engine breaking?
Did your former Navy seal truck driver imaginary guyfu tell you to never down shift?

You gotta realize these posters have LOW hp cars,they only feel deceleration,so that may sway the garbage opinions they have. Or maybe they just sit in somebody else's car?

Manual makes driving more engaging... Also nothing beats the feeling of a downshift and flooring it to pass someone

>manual is literally a "skill" in NA
>people are surprised when they get in my car or don't even know what i am doing
>bro i dont know how u do it that shit looks hard as fuck
>driving examiners for your tests still follow retarded rules made up 50 years ago for testing with manuals whilst none of them can drive one
>no turning and changing gears, thats right just hit the redline in 1st as you turn through that intersection
>oh you didn't row through every gear on when coming to a stop?
>all these are fails/docked points

Pretty epic and based.

what? really? was going to buy a stick and was gonna buy it a week prior to my test to get comfy in it but that is fuckin lame. guess ill just have to take it in mums landyacht

Hey there is the brakes thing... Once you git gud you save an asston on brake pads.
No need to change em until you get past 100k at least

If you're going to want to learn manual, you need to buy something cheap and forgiving. I suggest a late '90s Honda Accord - Honda manual trannies are very reliable and take a shitload of abuse.

How fast you learn depends on how much you practice. It's good to have help. If you're worried you will hate it, buy something cheap.

Could he not just buy a smart car or fiat 500 from like 2008 on the cheap rather than an old bro-Honda to rag on?

This is how it is in my province, in Canada. So it is probably a lot different in the US.

found the candy ass that spent a weekend trying to learn stick but failed because he's a faggot klutz

>posted from my dad's yacht

>redline in 1st
nah, just get into second before you start turning
or have a tall first gear, mine will do about 25mph in first and still be at about 5krpm (7k limiter)

Fucking do it. I was in your position and then I bought my car Tuesday, best decision ive made.

I kinda knew how to drive manual beforehand, but not completely. I bought it and threw myseld into a sink or swim position and I don't even egret it a bit.

>pic related, shitty picture of the '05 Scion tC I bought

One thing, though, traffic is an even bigger pain in my ass now.

Smart cars are automated manuals aren't they?

>...
>six fucking times
literally KYS

The 911 isn't even an expensive car though