"Car enthusiasts shouldn't fear arrival of self-driving vehicles"

autoblog.com/2016/03/23/car-enthusiasts-shouldnt-fear-arrival-of-self-driving-vehicles/
What are your thoughts on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiegouniontribune.com/business/sd-fi-car-sales-20170223-story.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i cant wait for self driving cars, it means stacy wont be behind the wheel with her cellphone and no doubt there will still be manufacturers willing to capture the enthusiast audience

I say let the texting, phoning, eating normies buy self driving cars. As long as manual driving doesn't get outlawed.

fpbp

it doesn't work that way. all cars have to be self driving or it doesn't work.

who says

...You know Teslas can drive themselves and avoid crashes despite self-driving cars being a tiny minority, right? It already works in theory. It's just a matter of bettering the tech.

Except that they can't make turns or any other complicated manouvers, and shut down when the road markings or road signs are even slightly obscured. At this point Tesla's autopilot is a glorified lane-keeping speed-adaptive cruise control.

>tfw don't have fuel injection and a/c and normies are already saying cars should drive themselves

jesus m8 how poor are u

This is hypothetical. I'm aware of the major issues with the idea as a whole.

In 50 years, manual driving is dead. Car ownership is fast on the decline, and a fleet of self-driving vehicles shuttle people to where they want to go. Decades-old studies show it's way cheaper to hire than to buy. The last group of people that like cars as a hobby are in nursing homes as electric cars regularly travel down the highway at over 150mph ferrying people to work. All time is spent in the home, in front of a screen, or at work, also in front of a screen. AI now manages and handles most blue collar work, to include trucking. Cruising is a function of hiring, now you can hire a 'smart' classic car to race you down backwoods trails or down highways. Wrench work is done by robots at the ferry company HQ and at partner mechanic shops in high-traffic areas. Mechanics are now robot engineers, so are construction workers, so are truckers.. just about everyone manages robots or the AI. AI also makes the best decisions for companies, AI vs AI for the best deals, AI makes press releases instantaneously without threatening the bottom line of the company. An engineer makes sure the AI is functioning properly.

then ai decides to fire nukes on russia and then john connor sends terminator in past?

That's good and all, but the tech is still undeveloped for the most part and the car enthusiast market is large. Car ownership is declining because city population (and population as a whole) is increasing. And most city goers don't need cars.

>still undeveloped
A decade ago, the tech was practically nonexistent. 5 years ago, Google had completed 300k miles in auto w/no accidents. Today, Tesla has an autopilot and all of the big car companies are working on them. 3 days ago, congress passed the Self Drive Act which cut regulations on testing. In 5 years, every major car manufacturer will have incorporated an autopilot mode. In 10 years, Uber and Lyft and others will have for-hire, fully autonomous cars. Think 50 years back... now think 50 years forward.

They're still have many hurdles. Sure, they're coming. But it'll take a lot longer than you give it credit for. Snow, rain, poorly marked roads, etc. But even in a world where anybody can buy a fully autonomous vehicle, car enthusiasts will still have manually driven cars. That's the point of the thread.

The critical part of self-driving cars affecting enthusiast ownership is economy of scale, and insurance companies.
Manually driven cars are relegated to either historical ownership or enthusiasts. With the dramatic reduction in production, ownership is open only to those who can afford it.

Insurance companies will dramatically increase premiums on manual drivers, and dramatically decrease premiums on self-driving cars, because the machine learning algorithms used to drive them can have their effectiveness at avoiding collisions objectively and quantifiably validated.

Nobody said price won't go up, but that won't kill car enthusiasm. I still think it will stay well within the range of affordability due to the sheer number of people (even normies) who would still like to own a car that can be manually driven AND autonomously driven. And plus we still have track only cars as well that aren't insured.

which is why every US automaker capitulates to California's economy and emissions standards despite there being markets for alternatives right?

Follow the money. And there's money to be made in car enthusiasts. Hell, look at truck sales. Trucks and SUVs are the antithesis of the compact econobox that every Calicuck drives, yet both of those markets are massive. In reality, California isn't controlling everything

Trucks and SUVs are what every Calicuck drives.

sandiegouniontribune.com/business/sd-fi-car-sales-20170223-story.html

The way you said it made me think that you were thinking that the entire car market was going to go small hybrid hatchbacks, as that sorta is the stereotype among young liberal trash. Huh, guess I was wrong. But my point is that I highly doubt that any company would pass up such a significant source of money that car enthusiasts provide.

check and Czech
>trucks
Mexicans
>suvs
moms like big cars, not just for carrying around kids in.
Safer in the event of an accident.

>AI also makes the best decisions for companies
AI made the decisions for Hillary's campaign, we've recently learned