Is there such a thing as a simple/bare bones luxury car and do you think there would be a market for something like...

Is there such a thing as a simple/bare bones luxury car and do you think there would be a market for something like that?
Something with top notch build quality using the highest quality materials, but with none of the fancy electronics of a new car.
An old school Mercedes Benz basically, but built today.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-730i-freinberg/249878051.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ever considered simply buying an old school Mercedes Benz?

People buy luxury cars for their luxury, not for their build quality

No

i believe bmw needs to buy saab and sell older platforms of bmws with modern drivetrains and vehicle stabilty and traction systems for 6k lower than the fatherlands equivalent model... like honda did with acura and toyota lexus but in reverse

mercedes had the perfect opportunity to with chrysler but blew it

volvo should be owned by mercedes not geely

Hello

I'd love that, but materials age and degrade and it'll be a money pit if you want to keep it mint.

But you can load up a Fiesta with all the whizz-bang tech you find in higher end cars.
It's still a cheap plasticky car not made to last.

Materials can last a long time if treated properly, and even then it probably will be cheaper than any modern luxury car.

the problem is that the kind of people who buy luxury cars today, have no taste. Which was usually sort of the hallmark of those kinds of people. So today's rich people, don't actually care about cars, they care about showing off how rich they are buy buying any recognizable luxury brand. And having 'luxury options" to them doesn't mean comfort, or good looking quality interior (or exterior) it means having half a dozen gizmos and gadgets, and a nice big badge on the front that shows how rich they are.

subtlety and understated elegance are concepts that are entirely gone from the buyer of a luxury car these days.

As someone who owns and can drive his W123 Mercedes 240D with an engine swapped OM617.951 out of a 300TD, no, they are not money pits.

You buy one and even the hecking pressurised rubber hoses from 30 years ago show no signs of cracking. There's this one cigar shaped tube that's fat in the middle and skinnier on each size that holds something stupid like 50PSI of pressure and that hasn't even started wearing yet.

However, when they do wear, they cost around $100-$300 from the dealership. So you either gotta pay that or wait around with it sitting in your driveway for a $50 replacement from ebay.

>Detroit
>top notch build quality
>highest quality materials

you can reupholster interiors and mercedes usually keeps producing replacement parts for most of its cars even bmw... with enough money you could build a totally new car with just replacement parts if they sold replacement frames

Seen a Youtube video where, apart from four or five small things, they built an entire vintage BMW motorcycle from catalogue parts.

bmw and mercedes are almost the ikea of cars

>subtlety and understated elegance are concepts that are entirely gone from the buyer of a luxury car these days.
This is what I'd love to see, clean elegant design executed extremely well.
Simplicity can be a form of luxury if done right I think, and actual wood over wood trim, actual aluminium over painted plastic.

When I have more disposable income I'll buy one to work on and fix up because I like them a lot, it's such a classy car.

Go look at the newest top-tier S-Class and see the stuff you can get - there is a lot more gadgets and whatnot you can put in the Merc

The price is also not only gadgetry; bigger car, bigger engine, tons of handmade stuff, badge and so on

>When I have more disposable income I'll buy one to work on and fix up because I like them a lot, it's such a classy car.
If you're bothering in the first place, why not a real S-Class? They had the sturdy six cylinders as well, not only the more complicated V8s.

There were far more W123's around so it'd be cheaper to buy and own

that sounds completely retarded

no one cares what you think wageslave

>simple/bare bones
>luxury
Pick one.

Does a 13 inch screen make a car luxurious? Do 23 Bose speakers with a total of 2000W make a car luxurious? Do LED door pocket lights make a car luxurious? Do you need a dozen massage modes for your seats to be comfortable? Do you need a dozen driving modes to make the ride comfortable? What makes a luxury car? Think about it.

you can have both underagefag
m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-730i-freinberg/249878051.html

>wageslave

lol

not my fault its one of the most retarded ideas Ive read

you forgot your trip

dang forgot my trip from other board

thats not a luxury car thats just a pigfat commuter

and yes luxury items make a luxury car

A modern Corolla or Civic ride better than a "cadillac" did back when Cadillac was the pinnacle of automobiles. They will also last longer than a W123 BENZ, and nearly make the same power.

the current civic rides just like a e39 without sport package so youre not wrong but it definitely doesnt turn like one but with better tires maybe

Sorry, all modern Civics make more power than the legendary W123 Mercedes Benz. Modern tires and suspension, cars are super comfy these days. I bet you can find parts used innthe Versa also used in Infiniti cars.

Put lipstick on an automotive pig and people will buy it. A 5 star resort has the same building code as a ghetto hotel, and economy cars have same standards to follow as $90,000 S classes and 7 Series

burgers are raped on hotels... you can get 4 star amenities for 60 dollars a night in europe with motelone

Yeah but us burgers wipe our fat asses with $60, when you guys have to work a lot more for sixty USD

people don't buy cars that don't have features, so no.

mcdonalds wage is about 15usd an hour

>Is there such a thing as a simple/bare bones luxury car

Yes, Mercedes still has special deals for taxi drivers with barebone poverty spec diesel E-Classes but you can't buy these without being a taxi guy or outside of Germoney

those "buyers" arent buying those cars either theyre leasing

you can special order cloth seats on mercs or bmws but if manuel isnt offered in america youre not getting it

I think there's a bit more to Taxi Mercedes than just the seats.
As far as I know it's the seats (usually cheap "taxi leather"), transmission manuel or auto like normal, but also usually a really low spec diesel engine, like the slowest diesel of the standard E but tuned even lower (probably to make them even more durable).

Oh and of course the modifications for all that taxi related stuff like communication, money+ mile counting computer stuff etc.

the taxis have vinyl no options except heated seats and a diesel

>more complicated V8
Not really. I daily a 450SEL and the engine is as simple as can be. If you get one from 1976 up with K-Jet it's basically a Rube -Goldberg'd carburetor. Mine's been trouble free aside from a leaky P/S pump which took me about an hour to fix. The only problems on these come from the auto climate control so just don't get that and you're golden.