My father is doing me a solid and buying me a car, a 2012 Focus. I'm responsible for the gas...

My father is doing me a solid and buying me a car, a 2012 Focus. I'm responsible for the gas, and more importantly the maintenance. What kind of problems can I expect from a car with ~80k miles on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/focus/2012/single-page/
edmunds.com/ford/focus/2012/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CREATION_DATE
fordtransmissionsettlement.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just get a civic for 3k. it's a better car with twice the mileage.

Check when the timing belt was last done, its probably due for one, have the water pump done with it.
Also read reviews from prior owners, especially ones that had more mileage than yours has.

carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/focus/2012/single-page/

edmunds.com/ford/focus/2012/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CREATION_DATE

Also join a Ford forum or even a forum dedicated to Ford Focuses. They'll likely have a thread up on what to look out for and if not you can just make a thread asking for advice.

i dont think theres an option

ehh, anything ford makes in the past couple years might be a bit rocky coming off the assembly line. its still really low on miles though, why is it being sold?

His coworker just moved into the city with his wife, they don't need and can't accommodate a second car and just want to make back what they owe on it.

>better car
>has practically no features
>deathtrap compared to the fuckus

I suggested a Civic but my dad kind of just went and got this on his own, plus he's boomer trash and only (((buys American))).

I think he only paid like $4500 for this one though, so it's close to the same price point anyway.

what do they owe?

that shitty focus has no useful features over an 01-05 civic. all you need is a/c, cruise control and an aux jack. they're safe enough, especially if you get one with side airbags.

automatic?

they owed like $5k, I think my dad paid closer to $4500

I assume so, I read that the manual is better and I know how shit the automatic dual-clutch nigger transmission is in this one since my dad drives a 2014. I'm hoping there's something I can have my mechanic do to make it more driveable and not a stuttering mess.

hopefully it grenades to teach your dad a lesson. should've bought your own damn car.

I actually didn't petition him for it, and I've been saving for one. He just did texted me and said "Hey I bought this car for you so you don't have to share one with your whore mother :)" - Hopefully it's manageable.

> 2012
> 80k miles
That's been ragged to shit.

>2012 car with 80k miles
it's been shagged mate, you probably won't have any outrageous problems because it's a modern car but just make sure you keep it in good nick

I wouldn't wish a powershift transmission on ISIS.

fordtransmissionsettlement.com/

in what world is 80k low mileage for a 2012 car?

First 'my dad is buying me a car' thread i've seen where the kid doesn't seem like an ungrateful cunt

Just get a FiST

My (OP) dad's 2014 Focus has 70k on it, I think 80k after 5 years is okay personally.

I don't understand how I could shit on my dad for this. I NEED a car because my sister and I are both in college and my layabout mother is "getting a job" so it's not feasible to only have 2 vehicles, but I can't afford to buy my own quite yet.

If he's gonna buy me a car I'm game to deal with whatever problems it comes with. That's about $5k I can potentially just keep.

He sounds like a charmer.
Also, this.

>EDM Ford Focus
>American
lol

This. Good on ya OP, ignore shit talkers. Cool of your dad, take decent care of it.

Like others said, for preventative measures against any problems you might face (ie the responsible route) check forums for your model