Why has no one thought to make a 6 or 8 cylinder boxer engine?

Why has no one thought to make a 6 or 8 cylinder boxer engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gQHq5kYsiVY&list=PLHMU--_sO7ftB6R_FUrpAKS21BPbMIscs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why has no one thought to make a 6 cylinder boxer engine?
I'm going to let you think about that

>6 cylinder boxer engine
Those are pretty rare, I heard some German company uses them tho

>legacy

Wasn't the SVX also a flat six or did I just WANT to stuff one in there?

Why not twelve?

I heard a Japanese company makes them too, but I'm sure, it might be just a rumor.

It was, OP is retarded.

Porsche uses a 6 cilinder boxer since forever, fucking idiot.

Flat engines are not the same as boxer engines

Fucking idiots

Really now?

mommy the firing order is different help

kys

Most flat engines historically and all flat engines today are boxers.

Also Honda master race.

>2 rods per crank pin
>1 rod per crank pin in Boxer

Kind of a big fundamental difference.

Here's the crank from a Porsche, what does that look like to you?

Hint: it's not a 180° V.

I stand corrected if I'm looking at that right and you're not blowing smoke up my ass. Not the guy you were talking to but chimed in because people often throw out things like the Testarossa engine as an example of a "flat 12" when that pointedly IS a 180 degree V.

I heard about some nip company shoving them in bikes as well, but that's just crazy talk

So, if I understand this right, the boxer design is better because the flat V engine has a net weight shift to one side on a moment to moment basis.

So let me get this straight
>A flat engine is basically a 180 degree V
>A boxer engine is a flat engine but with split wristpins

Correct, a boxer engine vibrates far less than a 180° V design.

A flat engine is just an engine with a 180° (flat) cylinder bank angle. Both boxer and 180° V engines are flat engines, but 180° V engines obviously aren't boxer engines.

Yeah, but the important part about the split wristpins is that they have to be 180deg apart so that each opposing pair of pistons moves in and out together. Like "boxing" as in punching at each other so that the forces mostly cancel.

More relevant question: why hasn't anybody made a boxer or flat 10?

Because multiples of 5 are memes

Now that I think about it OP probably thought that Porsche flat sixes were transverse inline sixes tilted down at 90 degrees. Nobody really refers to them as boxers but they always do with Subarus so he probably thought they were different things. Something like that would never fit in a car that small though

So this would be the perfect example for a Venn diagram. Boxers are a subset of flat engines, which are in turn a subset of V engines.

If we define "V engines" as "engines with two cylinder banks" then yeah, seems about right.

"Better" depends on application. "Better" by your perception is just an elimination of a fundamental secondary imbalance, not a big deal in a race car, bigger deal in a street car. The nature of "splitting" wrist pins necessitates more material, more reciprocating mass which is harder to physically balance for a rotating assembly, one of the limiting factors for a hard wrapping engine. Secondary imbalance can be assuaged to a certain degree by pissing with firing order, but there's a lot going on. "Better" tends to be governed by budget more than anything anyhow.

>OP defending his retardedness
Porsche literally calls their entry level model the Boxer Roadster,or Boxster. It's been their USP since day one, since Ferdi designed the Beetle actually.

Nobody but Audi is retarded enough to use an inline engine outside of the axle lines. In Porsche's case with the 911 and such rear engined models, using an inline would only make the pendulum effect even worse.

>Because multiples of 5 sound godly
Ftfy

Now I'm wondering what that'd sound like.
If V10s and i5s are anything to go by, probably pretty fucking good.

I'm imagining a mix of LFA and Metzger. A bit burbly at idle, but not V8 tier, and a screaming banshee at high RPM that makes V10 and V8 F1 cars sound dull by comparison.

Can somebody teach a noob what the hell is going on in this picure

Why not 16?

Why the fuck do you faggots keep replying to/posting in obvious bait threads without sage-ing? Fucking hell

I might ask the same of you, son.

>That picture

Okay that's the best one of these yet.

Why? Boxes 4s and 6s never sound as good as inline or V engines with the same number of cylinders.

???

the eight-six would beat the devil z at any mountain pass

Is the guy on the right the new protagonist for the other manga that the guy who made ID made?

>he doesn't know about the devil z

We really need more wangan midnight posting on here

Sadly as Corvette were the only ones to make them they didn't sound very good at all.

I have 3.0R myself, this isn't even good bait, I just had to tell OP he's a dumbass

touge is more popular because it can be done with cars that Veeky Forums can afford

And wangan midnight never got an anime with a meme music soundtrack.

I'm gonna watch the anime for it (my brother told me about it, which surprised me that there's already an anime for it), I just read a bit of the manga of it last night.

>which surprised me that there's already an anime for it
It came out in like 2007

How old is the manga, and when did it come out?

like 1993 to 2008

OH really? Do you honestly think that little shit is gonna beat the perfectly optimized shocks and suspension system made for perfect line following, in the spirit of circuit racers? Yeah, I didn't think so.

youtube.com/watch?v=gQHq5kYsiVY&list=PLHMU--_sO7ftB6R_FUrpAKS21BPbMIscs

>Porsche literally produces a car called the Boxster
>Totally isn't a roadster with a boxer engine, tho