What's Veeky Forums's favorite hot hatch...

What's Veeky Forums's favorite hot hatch? I was looking to buy a used one for

GTI

unironically ep9 civic is my personal fave. Si is nice and aftermarket has every option you could want. should probably spend more than 3k meme tho.

I used to own a civic, what sets this model apart?
GTI aesthetic was always pretty unappealing to me, what makes you recommend it? I don't know much of anything about VW

>GTI
good handling and fun, reasonably practical
but yeah VW styling and meme reliability is not for everyone

Unfortunately for us Burgers, hot hatches are slim.

GTI is the original hot hatch. It's perfect in every way (too perfect according to some people).
Like other German cars, you have to be a lot more conscience about maintenance.
When they say 10k miles, they mean 10k miles. It's not like a Jap box that says "around 5k miles" that you can stretch to 15k miles and it'll still run just fine.

Even the Golf these days is 170hp turbo i4, so that's a cheap option.

Fiesta / Focus ST, if you feel like dealing with Ford.

Civic Si is a solid choice. Finding a hatch might be difficult, but you can find last gen coupes for cheap.

GTI mk4, mk6, or mk7
mk3 looks like shit and the mk5 is shit

Z3 m coupe
them hips

Original GTI is the only hatch I'd actually consider (not including liftback coupes)

Just look at that little guy. Hes ready to fight.

> if you wanna deal with ford

Elaborate

sell you mine if you want it

Abarth 4 life

It broke down before I finished writing this post.

just gonna say
>volvo c30
because nobody said it yet

too god damn expensive

What's the retail on one of those?

mk4 doesn't have independent rear suspension, and even the FSI engine of the mk5 is ok. Best GTI right now would have to be a 2009 mk5, they have the TSI engine of the mk6 with the price of the mk5.

How bad is Ford reliability? I've only ever owned jap shit boxes, is 90s-present day Ford as much of a nightmare as it sounds like it is?

I own a fiesta st, 42k miles and no issues.

Any particular years I should be looking out for? I may look into some used Focus STs.

I kind of agree with the "GTI is too perfect" thing actually. It's such a solid car but it's kind of more become a fast daily driver than of a "hot hatch". I may be a faggot for this, but I love it when a car has either more power than it can handle (Ford STs) or has a high revving engine with buttery smooth gearbox (what the Civic Type R wanted to be). It's technically a sedan now, but my favorite hot hatch would probably have been a 2002 WRX hatchback.

But nobody buys a hatchback for a rally/drag/track car or a weekend convertible; they buy one for a sensible, quick car. That's why the GTI would still be the king of hatchbacks for 99% of consumers.

I have had two explorers that were high mileage. Last was a 2000, and it got hit by someone and totaled at 170k miles, original engine, but not trans. Was used heavily for towing by original owner. My current is a 2002, and it has 180k on it both original engine and trans. Had a 93 foxbody too, but that had a fully built engine. 130k, got totaled also. Ford engines are usually pretty solid. Their V-8's have been great. They typically are hard on suspension parts, and some trans were great while other were shit. IE, the original 5r55 on my 2000 is a total POS, but the 4r70 that it got replaced by is a bulletproof trans. Anyone who says [brand] is a piece of shit is just a meme, and doesn't care to research product. Americans, japs and germans all have good and bad product.

bretty sure all the 2013+ st bros drive the exact same. 2016+ have better infotainment (sync 3). 2015+ fost got a facelift and a gr8 steering wheel

I bought this thing for $9,900 back in early 2015 with 93k miles. Plenty of fun. Girls love it, guys love it and I beat every single thing I see on the road ranging from modded GT500s, Corvettes to 911 turbos.

I've done the cams, long tubes, air intake, larger rotors & 4 piston calipers w/SS lines, aggressive ford racing shocks/stuts, minor lowering springs, fuel upgrades and a 150 shot w/fully remote system. Can purge, heat, arm and open without ever leaving my seat.

You really can't buy a 'cooler' car for under $10k. Maybe a c5 vette if you can find one that isn't beat to sh*t at that price and driven to the moon.

Am I correct in assuming Civic SI vs Civic Type R is sorta similar to the Focus ST vs the Focus RS? How do the Honda hatches compare to the Ford hatches? I heard Honda quality has slipped lately, but it's hard to filter truth from the memes these days.

By all accounts, the type R is a damn good car. People's main complaints are with the styling, but that's pretty subjective. The main complaint with the Si comes from the turbo; it makes (roughly) the same power as the last gen NA Si, but you're wringing more power from a highly stressed, smaller engine. It's still supposed to be a good car all around, just not as good as it should have been in the drivetrain department.

Civic ep3 type r all day man, or ep3 si with a few simple mods, cheapest hot hatch out there

my juke

inb4 awful car comments

I've owned an EP3 Type R and now own a mk5 Golf GTI with a K04 turbo.

The EP3 was fun when you were in vtec but the lack of torque at low rpm is a pain in the ass for a daily driver. The GTI has well over double the torque of the EP3 and it makes using it as a daily a much easier task.

they are like 10+ years old now
not retail.

more than you can afford pal

>mfw there are 05-09 S197s with V6's selling near me for more than $10k

i live in a shitty areas for Mustangs i guess but i still see them all the time.

It's just so painful to look at it's that ugly.

It could be a literal god machine for an amazing price and holy fuck do they deserve to rot because apparently the PT cruiser or that one memed ugly euro car apparently can't be the worst looking car in existence.

I have the gutless Si version and I can fly up 10% grades at 70 miles an hour no problem.

But also drive in town at slow speeds just fine.

I don't doubt that the GTI is sick but there is literally nothing wrong with any EP3 as it's the last 3 door hatch honda even sent to the states.

So it has an interior vaguely resembling what Honda has been doing for decades?

Nissan was best when they did their own thing back during the 90s.

> 2 bucket seats
> a steering wheel
> round gauges

LITERALLY COPYING HONDA

>going to ignore the edgelord black and red stitching theme Honda has literally done for decades to point out obvious things found in many cars

You forgot to point out that they both have blinkers and hazard lights too.

I couldn't do it. Too ugly imo.

>type r

I'd buy one tomorrow if i had the cash. I like how out there the styling is, and like you said, it's a damn good car too.

>with the styling, but it's subjective

compared to every other performance car on the road (especially the Focus RS), the styling is just too damn much. too much race car, not enough race.

>modded gt500s

are you sure they were racing?

How much and what state

the infotainment before 2016 is garbage