Realistically...

Realistically, how long could you fend off rust if you decided to drive your car all-year-round in Canada instead of buying winter beaters?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Salt-Away-Products-Concentrate-32oz/dp/B00144EOLC
nhoilundercoating.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop being poor and get a winter beater.

It's a matter of logistics and convenience, not money. I move around a lot as part of my career, and some provinces make the process of buying/selling disposable shitboxes a long and torturous process (FUCK YOU ONTARIO). If I could keep a new-ish car for 10 years through rustproofing/frequent washing, I'll take that instead.

I had a Subaru that did about 15 years before the rust started to looking a little iffy. Middling US northeast winters, but with salted roads. I don't know how well that might translate to Canadian conditions.

in that vette you'd last quite a while since composites everywhere

curious about this too. I live in MN and winter is coming on. Had to sell my beater to my brother so I have to dd my whip. Was thinking about getting an unlimited wash token from one of the nearby gas stations and washing my car 2-3 times a week as I have a pretty warm underground garage.

Forever if you get the underside treated and proofed (Fluid Film is the best), and wash it very regularly

>tfw live in Arizona

feels nice. for once.

>those clumps of salty brown slush on the rockers and behind wheels
stop please

In most parts of Canada it's the temperature swings that wreak havoc on paint, Especially places with Chinooks. It'll go from 5 degrees celcius to -30 then back to 5 the next day. I don't think it's the same in the US, I think it stays cold. Then add in the magnesium chloride and you got this shit. The pic isn't a meme. Literally every single Mazda 3 from that generation has no wheel arches left.

>tfw you kick one off and it rips a big chunk of rust off

FUCK.

Also live in MN, I've had an unlimited wash package from one of the car wash chains around the twin cities for years. It works well and they towel dry the car inside before you leave. Dont use the automatic car washes when its super super cold, those air dryers blow water into wierd places and it freezes once you pull out.

I live right under where the jet stream likes to flop around. Rare to get a 40deg swing two days in a row, but it does happen sometimes. More like 20deg every few days except when we get a good week or two of stability.

But I've never seen a Mazda 3 that bad looking lol, so obviously you have it categorically worse.

that's just the average mazda build quality.

About 15-20 years before the car goes to the scrapper.

The corvette up there would fare much better, especially if aluminum framed.

Aluminum frame and composite body panels. Rust? No problem.

It could be an all-steel special edition for boomers

Clearly a Lamborghini is the best winter beater
>basically all composite, aluminum, and carbon
>AWD

A new car can last you 15-20 years with rustproofing, especially if you're ok with some light body rust after about 10

I'm in Ontario too user (we actually have a groupchat and meets and stuff but if you're not into that-that's cool)

anyway I'm in the same predicament as you, money isn't really the issue it's just the logistics.

My plan is:
-beefy snow tires
-weathertech mats to protect the interior
-ceramic coat topped with a layer of sealant
-sealant on the wheels (especially the barrels)
-thick gel (not spray type) tire dressing in the wheel wells
-touchless auto wash season pass
-waterless wash for doorjams, trunk jam, under hood (anywhere the auto wash can't get to)

One of my co-workers daily drove an Audi R8 through the winter (previously he also had a gallardo, 911, ferrari etc..you get the idea) and his advice is don't be a little bitch, it's just a car it's meant to be driven.

I'm 50/50 on getting the underside sprayed, I find it gets gross underneath. Would regular washes + underbody rinse with a pressure washer suffice?

Just live somewhere that dosent snow

convert rust into horsepowerâ„¢

>go through all that effort
>grandma Singh plows into you in her camry with bald all seasons.

I don't feel like making another thread and is relevant to OP.

Recommend me some good winter beaters.
I drive 60miles a day. Not a big fan of trucks.

that's what insurance is for, and dash cams

civic, accord, corolla, camry

get an old impressa 2.5
should be cheap since not wrx/sti but will still have AWD to help in low traction conditions

Any cheap indestructible japanese shitbox

>how long could you fend off rust in canada
That depends on how much you try.
You can make japanese nippon steel last in salt, if you take care of it.
You can also destroy german zink coated Kruppstahl with salt.

I suggest:
>wash car
>remove rust with wire brush
>repaint rusted surface
>apply undercoat
>repeat when rust reapears

Realistically speaking the engine on the Shitvette will crap out before rust becomes a problem. And then again the Gayvette is literally made out of repurposed starbucks lid plastics so that wouldn't rust anyway.

how about an audi a4 from like 2000?

Got that awd but never drove one so no idea how good it is.

You won't drive a Corvette in the winter long enough to find out because lolrwd.

Get a FWD car like a real man.

One of the only nice things about living where it regularly hits -30 in the winter is that it's never warm enough to be slushy. That shit forms a solid block of dirty ice that breaks away in one nice solid piece when you kick it.

Is that the one with the Torsen (actual quatro) or Haldex (not real quatro) setup? I drove some early Haldexes and they were like OK but not great.

The Torsen version should outperform the Subaru setup. But I will say that both the manual and auto Subaru setups just plain work good for being so simple. A bunch of family from around New England switched to Subarus and every one of them, even the one that was running some Audi or other, raved about how great the Subarus were in the snow. My aunt in particular had a Leggacy GT with the tarbo 2.5 and she secretly loved being able to put her foot in it and just jog past anybody on the highway she didn't like.

Git gud.

Volvo 240. 1987 and later model years had seriously great rustproofing. The heaters are fucking stupid. I never had mine past number two on the blower motor and I regularly had to crack the windows, and that's in an Alberta winter. And the RWD is nice. A couple sandbags in the trunk and some good winters and you'll never worry about getting stuck. I left mine out overnight during some -40 cold snaps and it always fired right up the next morning. A few minutes later you're toasty warm bombing past traffic in half a foot of snow. Fuck, I miss it.

Friend of mine had an early 2000s VXC70. That thing was built like a tank and seemed like it had a 1/8" of diamond coating the body. He didn't keep it in to old age, but that thing seemed like it was ready and willing to take on a couple decades of Swedish winter.

if it has a longitudinal engine it has real awd if its an audi if its a traverse engine its just meme wheel drive

>corvette on the snow

only way it doesn't overheat

rustproofing every year otherwise enjoy your stereotypical mazda.
I forgot the pic

>American/western canadian winters

Lel snowlets.

Snow tires.

>not wearing the rust as a badge of honor and driving it until it becomes perilously decayed

>Western Canadian winters

I prefer the bitter, dry cold over what Eastern Canada and the Maritimes are subjected to every year lol

>groupchat
link? Is it Discord or Kik?

Western Canada has some of the best snow in the world.

Can't you just hose the shit off it once you're done?

Coat everywhere with rustbullet and never have to worry

it's not so much the weather as it is the salt + variations in weather.

if all you have to worry about is perma-winter, with NO salting, you might not be so bad off.

But if you get winter, then salting, and then the thaw, then there will be trouble.

hell, even just winter + thaw isnt that bad, it's the fucking salt. that shit is corrosive. There's a reason in the spring, roads in the northeast are covered with potholes and craters.

Generally, you shut off the hose from the inside because you don't want it to freeze.

thanks for the tip i was actually contemplating how i would actually drive it home from the wash without shit freezing up. got a manual wash right down the road.

>corvette
>last a while
choose one

just audi?

Proper prep and cleaning will prevent any cancerous rust.

This shit is awesome, use it when we go to bonneville to clean the cars.

amazon.com/Salt-Away-Products-Concentrate-32oz/dp/B00144EOLC

Depends on the province, in AB you could probably keep it going for ages, in NS you could have it for maybe two seasons

whatsapp, email us at [email protected]

Not a chance. Alberta has way worse rust issues. Chinooks are cunts that fuck up your paint. There's less than 4 year old trucks and cars with rust holes already.

i live in ontario and it pretty much killed my hopes of being a car enthusiast after reality hit.

doesn't help that i have a 1st gen mazda3. Might just get an autotragic next time because im just a tryhard at this point

Ontario is a no-fault state. Anyone here will still get fucked over in some manner even if they're completely not at fault

>Realistically, how long could you fend off rust
I lost that fight the second I handed over the check.

Once you take the redpill, you realize the only true purpose of a car is that you can hoon the fuck out of it until it's too fucked to keep going.

Fear is a form of mind control.

I'm in NYC, would it be worth getting this shit done? Its apparently similar to Krown/CarWell, and there's a guy in Long Island who applies it for $200/year ($170/yr after).

We get like...3 weeks where it snows the whole year but the state/city overkill on the amount of rock salt they put down. And I have a 2005 Impreza I brought up from Florida with zero rust.

nhoilundercoating.com/

Just get a compressor and a undercoating spray kit. Then spray on your own fluid film, used oil, etc.

Jesus fuck I'm glad I moved to georgia

If I have a summer only car should I still get the underside done? And how often should I wash and wax it? Ty Benz I appreciate your help you've always been a good tripfag :^)

My Avalon survived 10 years between Fairbanks and Anchorage, Alaska.

It has 0 rust. I have no fucking idea why. I guess just pray to God everyday, OP.

>"user, it's because it's a Toyota"

My dad's Duramax has 0 rust as well.

I don't know why you would have a car in NYC in the first place if you gave a single shit about it. Rusting out from snow would be about at the bottom of my worries.