Why aren't we allowed to have smallish trucks in burgerland anymore?

Why aren't we allowed to have smallish trucks in burgerland anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
youtube.com/watch?v=9i2eZaJsC7g
smythkitcars.com/
thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/
lefthandutes.com/4sale.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll tell you if you can name one benefit of a smallish truck over a bigish truck in practicality

Market segmentation and supply chain economics.

There can't be a demand for smaller trucks if there's no supply.

Because you can buy a real truck.

Easier to drive
Better handling
Cost
empeegees

And why are those important for a truck?

>need to carry shit
>but don't need to carry more shit than one of the smaller trucks can handle

Someone who wants to be able to haul basic things and doesnt need tons of towing capacity and redundant space thatll never get used.

What the fuck is a Colorado or Tacoma? You can even get the Colo in diesel... If those are too big for you then buy a fucking crossover. inb4 WAAAHHHH ITS AN INCH WIDER THAN MY 1989 TRUCK!!!!

Don't start comparing modern trucks to 1980's trucks. Shit will never be like that again, Move on.

You can still get a truck like the frontier which I think is decently small. Sure, not as small as some of the older trucks, but the same can be said for cars. I blame the increasing safety standards making vehicles in general, much larger.

Some people need to haul a bit more than a hatchback/wagon can do, but don't need to tow 19000 pounds. Or maybe they need to move stuff but don't have a 20ftx12ft space to park in

That's a Chevrolet Equinox with a bed

It's body on frame.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

That's not a fucking thing anymore. People want big things and the most bang for their buck. You can make the small truck cost half as much as a normal sized truck and the big truck will still sell more. Why get a single burger for $2.50 when you can get a double for $3?

I owned a 2015 Colorado... its still not big enough to replace a full size pickup. And that fucking chin spoiler was a snow plow in the winter and a big fuck you if you wanted to go off road.

OP said small, not pigfat midsize

>That's not a fucking thing anymore
Except that it's a law that hasn't been repealed, the US doesn't get the hilux, or Land Cruiser pick ups, the VW Amarok isn't in the US and plenty of other small trucks

>I want to carry some stuff but I don't need to haul a supertanker to the dock

The fact that the B2300 in OP's pic has a similar size bed to that thing pisses me right the fuck off

The previously made "small" pickups were midsize. It's just they, as have the 1/2tons and HD trucks above have grown with modern times.
You're a fucking idiot.

Nor is it meant to replace a fullsize. What you get though is still a very handy 2200lb+ payload and a 7700lb tow hitch capacity (even if at the expense of payload if you adhere to GCM).

>its still not big enough to replace a full size pickup.

Well yeah. Neither was the S10 or a Tacoma.

Why does everybody bitch about the chin spoiler? Can't you just remove the 4 plastic rivets and be done with it?

It's 2017 grandpa. A canyonorado is small, half tons are normal size and one tons are for men.

The North American versions of those vehicles are almost identical minus the small diesel engines. Even small domestic trucks don't sell so I don't blame them for not selling them here. Nobody would want them.

> (You)
>Why does everybody bitch about the chin spoiler? Can't you just remove the 4 plastic rivets and be done with it?

I did pull the chin spoiler off actually. It takes close to an hour if you are careful not to break plastic. But Its close to twenty bolts and there is so little clearance the only thing you can get in there is one of these mini rachet drivers with a star bit to loosen them up.

>That's not a fucking thing anymore
why do you make things up on the internet

Why can't we have trucks like this anymore?

I think my Fiesta has more utility than that

Does your Fiesta also have the reliability and the cost of a D21 too?

But you can still get that. They never stopped selling the D40 and soon to be D23 successor

I always laugh at the campsite when my 6'2" cousin pulls up in his F150 and has to climb up in the bed to get his shit out and I reach my 5'7" manlet self over the side of my Ranger and easily pull coolers over the side.

CAFE

youtube.com/watch?v=9i2eZaJsC7g

>Semper Fi
Wouldn't get along with him. I've yet to meet a Marine that's actually enjoyable to be around. They'll get destroyed in a bar fight as they couldn't come down from their cloud and then go do something childish with all their brother's in the parking lot.

Army, Air Force, Navy - they all seem to attract genuinely decent people that aren't completely under of the impression they're the strongest, smartest person on the planet. Those guys seem to know their limits.

National Guard.. well, I wouldn't really feel safe if something was to somehow happen on our Homeland.

>colorado n tacoma
essentially full size.
op can't find a small truck is because the market doesn't cater to low income folk.

americans are too fat

>National Guard.. well, I wouldn't really feel safe if something was to somehow happen on our Homeland.
You should feel safe not from the National Guard, but from all the civilians with guns who'll gladly defend their own country in times of need, but don't want to join a service branch and fight for oil when their front yards aren't getting bombed (which is a completely reasonable way of thinking, mind you).

they did a shit job paint-matching that, but otherwise neat.

They wrapped it
The company sells kits to convert normal cars into utes.
They have kits for the MK4 Golf/Jetta, 2005-2010 Charger, B6 Audi A4/S4, and they're working on one for the BMW E39.
smythkitcars.com/

>S4 ute
why

because ute.

stolen recaros pls stop shitposting

gm a shit btw

Damn it looks good in black, not so much in silver.

There aren't really any "smallish" trucks here in Europe either. The only thing I could think of is the Fiat Doblo flatbed, which I know is sold but I have never seen a single one of in real life

Aforementioned Doblo

name one benefit a big truck has over a small truck in real life applications.

>he doesn't drive a Bongo

You sure were triggered there, PFC Rodriguez

>land of free
>can't have mini trucks
POETRY

fun fact: in south aberiga, this corsa c mini truck is called montana - a state of usa

>Easier to drive
Alright
>Handling
It's a truck why do you care about this
>Cost
Trucks are expensive no matter the size
>Mpg
They all get shit economy even base 4 cylinders

I saw things like that all over the place in south america. Looked like the great compromise between needing a road vehicle and something that you could bang around the woods or the farm or whatever.

This, and only this.

The manufacturers aren't stupid. They realize there is demand for smaller trucks, as well as station wagons, but they can't sell them in the US because it would ruin their fuel efficiency averages required by CAFE.

The "midsize" trucks have JUST big enough of a footprint to make fuel economy requirements as lenient as possible. Look at the image attached, in 2025 a Ranger would have to get 50 MPG, while a F-150 only needs about 35. It's also why you can't buy a station wagon anymore, since they are classified as cars instead of light trucks like crossovers are.

CAFE is a failure because it doesn't pressure manufacturers to reduce overall fuel consumption, but instead pressures them to make larger (and heavier) cars to cheat the system.

See thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/ for more detailed info.

>Trucks are expensive no matter the size
Yes, but smaller ones are a lot less expensive. Nowhere near as an econobox, sure, but it won't take out nearly as big a chunk out of your wallet than a thos fucking aircraftcarrier-trucks.

just like utes in australia, but with SMOL engine

>only two posts mention CAFE standards out of 57 posts
More confirmation that Veeky Forums really doesn't know jack shit about the state of the automotive industry

I live in Texas, and saw a Chevrolet Montana drive by me. Some dude came up from Mexico driving it.

So fucking mad we don't have that available here.

left hand utes in Colorado has one for sale already converted to US spec, and titled.
lefthandutes.com/4sale.html

A Colorado is like $2000 less than a Silverado.

>Colorado starting MSRP $20,980
>Silverado 1500 starting MSRP $29,080
Try again Mr Shitposter.

We need to go smaller

A base 4x4 colorado with the V6 and a locking diff is ~$34k. The base Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 and locking diff is ~$38k. If you go with a V6 in the Silverado it's a ~2k difference.

What are 5 things an American truck can do that an Australian ute can not?
(that don't include off road because lets face it American trucks are pavement princesses.)

Pic related has
>5 second 0-60mph
>can actually turn
>1000kg/2200lb bed capacity
>2300kg/5000lb towing capacity
don't most American trucks have similar stats minus the turning ability and performance?

>truck
>small
whats the fucking point? are you the kind of faggot that drives a vehicle you dont even need half the engine and size just for its status?

>be american
>call a vehicle a truck
>vehicle in question is not a truck

Whiteboys feel the need to buy oversized trucks to compensate for their small penises. The more lifted the truck, the smaller the cock.

>Can't fit a family
>Can't into winter and snow
>Can't into logging roads
>A 5000lb trailer will flip that thing
>Your average crew cab pavement princess is still faster

Ute's were already a thing here and failed. How the fuck do you fit a snowmobile or dirt bikes with the stupid bed cover?

>implying any of these guys are over 3'' either.

Technically unless you're driving a tata nano or something of that nature you're compensating.

>How the fuck do you fit a snowmobile or dirt bikes with the stupid bed cover?
not him but you take it off.

kys

>cherry picking configurations
Would you like your shitposting crown?
Gotta say, the Falcon utes turn as well as a pickup anyway. If you used a Commodore as an example you'd have a point.
>Falcon XR8 ute
>oxcart rear end
>still limited to 473kg payload
lel

A pickup is literally a truck. Relative size is irrelevant.

I've met a few, but they do have a disproportionate amount of assholes compared to others.

As for national guard, most of them just do it to get college, I can't blame them but there is this one chick I went to High School with who is in the guard and my god does she act like a fucking Marine despite not doing anything but training every month. Calling the people she went with battle buddies and shit, like christ woman, air force drone controllers have done more fucking military work, like actual fucking shit than you have. You show up once a month, run some drills and take home a supplementary paycheck.

I have a feeling she's only there because the Army wouldn't let her play commando.

what the FUCK is that

what the fuck

They really aren't. Base model to base model is like $3000 difference tops. That was the entire reason they stopped making light trucks. Pretty hard to get sales when you can get a full sized truck that's far more capable for a couple thousand more

A 2005-2011 Dodge Charger with a ute kit.
See:

oh HELL NO

>this kills the burger

>they really aren't
See They really are.

see:

I always wanted a shortbed 2 seater with a cabin roof that can detach.

because unless youre part of the

leaves room in my garage for another motorcycle

can still fit two motorcycles in the bed

>BUT TOWIN SHIT COWBOY
>TOWIN SHIT

Also efficiency. Get into the trucker mindset. You carry shit to make money...you don't want to waste gas. Gas costs money. Are you less manly than a trucker? Do you waste gas while haulin like a woman?

>body on frame
>live rear axle

Are you literally retarded?

Dodge have got you covered. It is however #rare.

If by detach you mean literally detach you'll have to look for a Ramcharger or first gen Blazer (later Blazers and all full size Broncos keep the roof above the seats intact) and be careful not to get any mulch between the seats.

>in 2025 a Ranger would have to get 50 MPG
That is not even hard to get with early 2000s tech aka 10,x :1 compression ratio naturaly aspirated port injected gas engine.
Hell, some 2000s diesels went up to 100 mpg in real life.

Just put some efficient tires on and give it a 1L 3-cylinder engine for the front wheels and a electric motor with some decent power for the rear wheels and 50 mpg are a joke.

>highway cruising
ICE working near maximum efficiency
>highway towing
ICE working harder, but still close to maximum efficiency
>towing uphill
eletric motor helps out ICE
>city driving
electric motor does the job and uses regenerative braking
>need muh torque
Guess what, the electric motor has torque all over the rev range

It would not even be more heavy since you donĀ“t need:
>center differential
>driveshaft
>big ICE

Instead you would have
>small electric motor bolted to rear differential
>controller
>battery

fatties

Our '96 Nissan Hardbody (crew cab, so inb4 faggotry) is beginning to shit the bed lately. Injector leaking like fuck, rear frame rusting away, and the latest of it's maladies was that the fuel lines are probably fouled so the truck won't start.

The previous owner of the truck was a German who drove like he was on Mad Max. It was said that he was the only vehicle capable of fording a river somewhere up in the boonies, and all the locals and the natives came up by the riverside to watch the little red Nissan chug across it.

This thing is max comfy.

Literally this

Cars/Trucks have become much bigger due to safety and pedestrian regulations. The smallest truck that companies can realistically make is the Colorado, Tacoma, ect. If you all so buthurt about this, find yourself a Nissan or a ranger to restore.

>Low income folk
>4x4 Rangers are the same price as a F150 year by year comparison on the used market

why not both, seriously? offer a small v6 crew cab truck and offer a big boy diesel

I came here to post about CAFE but my job was already done. Good work, user.

Small dic boi detected