UPDATE: some of you may remember me

UPDATE: some of you may remember me...

I asked about buying a 2008 g37 coupe sport automatic with 78k miles and lightly modded. Private seller asking 10k. Nothing mechanical was upgraded. Just some k&m coilovers and eibach pro alignment kit. I was scheduled to see the car last friday (9/8/17).

I had an import shop do a "pre purchase" inspection for $50. I spoke with the mechanic personally and he said the car runs great, no leaks, brand new tires, transmission fluid looks recently done, back brake pads 50%, front 75%, all suspension upgrades seem to be done correctly. THE BAD--- needs air filters, battery, hood struts. Also said that, based on the milage, the serpentine belt should be replaced eventually.

He said that in his experience, at around 70k miles, g37s have exhaust valve, gasket, and plug seal leaks... But this car so far had none.

I bought the car.

We agreed to $9,300. Drove it 200 miles home, no problems. Ive added 100 city miles since and still good.

Now for some concerns and questions...

Did i get a good deal?

The car idles at 1000 rpm (sometimes bouncing around give or take). Ive read that normal is about 700... So wtf?

Seller told me to reset the ecu to "learn", my driving habits. What??

What does reseting the ecu do? When should i do it?

Do dealerships have software upgrades that benefit my car in any way?

I want to reduce weight and/or increase horsepower. How to?? Are the stock wheels concidered heavy or light weight?

Does the dealership offer a tune for increased horsepower?

Is a super charger a good idea? Or a turbo? Can i use either of these reliably with the stock parts and components?

Is there any where to buy new or used turbos/superchargers or other desirable aftermarket parts for cheaper?

And last but not least... I accidentally filled up with 87. I have a full tank. Am i good? Or will this fuck my engine? I added a walmart octane booster and topped off with 91...

Help with all the above please.

Thank you.

I bought this for $8k, and I've put 4k miles on it and it hasn't broken yet.

Also it's only got 75k miles.

If you asked me, I'd say no, you got a shit deal, but I mean, if you like it, who gives a fuck?

"Shit deal" how?

>buying a shitty modded Z
>already idling high with no indication of what's wrong
it's fucked. you got a shit deal. should've spent 15k on a mint one. Whatever you saved up front you're gonna spend in the long run. Gs have no headroom for mods other than exhaust and a tune. Forced induction requires a full engine rebuild and you'll have to fight with the cooling system for track use.

Replace what it needs OP don't be a cheap fuck with this car, take it to dealer and ask if it has any tsb's or recalls (they run the VIN). Do not get supercharger or turbo, just get good quality brakepads/fluid and some pilot supersports. Going to be fine as far as gasoline don't fuck that up again

It's a coupe and it's not fast.

not op but it's probably faster than your vette and has nicer materials.

Pilot super sports?

what a noob.

>needs air filters, battery, hood struts
Literally a 15 minute install
>The car idles at 1000 rpm
It's always give or take a little, when I bought my car it idled around 1k for a while then dropped back down to 750-800ish.
>I want to reduce weight and/or increase horsepower. How to??
leave it stock. Do everything you can with the stock engine to make it run better (replace fluids, clean the engine, replace belts, new plugs, etc etc). After that you can start worrying about anything else, but on a used car you need to make sure the thing's gonna last, and giving it a good once over will let you see if anythings gonna go wrong.

Last thing, when you buy a used car know things will break. You'll never know what needs to be replaced until it breaks. Be prepared to deal with a lot of little things every so often. And if something seems wrong, it probably is.

"Shit deal"

All other g37 within 500 miles are both more expensive at about $13,500 and have 130k plus miles...

mileage doesn't matter. how it was maintained is all that matters.

How do they know if any tsb or whatever have been done or not?

It might not be "fast", but its decently quick... Right?

Mileage definately matters.... Why else would they base price on milage....

Just explain please.

They run the VIN number and check if it's due for something
Michelin pilot supersports, you seem to know little about this car or cars in general I suggest you visit G35/37 forums because very few owners here.

Told you it was a good deal user. Maintenance is part of the package, remember that and treat the car, you're set now.

because that's all normies care about. . I'd buy a car with 150k that had good owners before i'd buy a car with 60k miles and no history.

Probably not, get real

2 owners... 78k miles... $4k less than any dealership, id say i got a steal.

except it's not stock. it'd cost half that to put oem suspension back on it.

>except it's not stock.
Who fucking cares?

This has to be a troll post

First off, let me say that I'm glad to see you aren't one of those stance fags that fucks up good cars. I know a kid who just got a 335i and wants to tune it and stance it. Really ironic combo since he needs traction with that much power and then loses all the traction when he stances it. What a fucking idiot; you're not that kind of idiot. Thats the worst kind of idiot.

I agree with one of the anons, you don't have a fucking clue of what you're doing.

You put a full tank of 87 and then you try to add octane booster? Did you even read the manual? For future reference, most octane boosters only add fractions of an octane. And just so you know, your engine will be ok, please Google what a knock sensor is and what engine knock is.

Please spend 2 minutes to Google things you don't know instead of showing us how stupid you really are. Michelin pilot super sports are one of the best performing street tires you can buy. Please apply this advice on googling things to most areas in your life.

I agree with another user, that you don't want to skip out on important things like brake pads and maintenance. My father always tells me that there are three things you don't fuck around with or cheap out on for a car: Tires, brakes and steering. Those are the only there things that help you keep control of your car.

You got an alright deal, depending on your area. And I wouldn't worry about upgrade paths, I think 300+ hp is already too much for you, given your mental capacity shown in this thread.

The G's are good cars and the large displacement 6 cylinders are dying breed among luxury auto makers. The 3.7L VQ engine is solid and should last.

That user who paid the almost 10k for a piece of shit old Corvette is an idiot for thinking that he got a good deal and you didn't. I'd rather have your G37 than that old pos anyday.

Good luck to you OP, hopefully you don't wrap yourself around a pole or take anyone else's life.

>I'd buy a car with 150k that had good owners before I'd buy a car with 50k miles and no history
Ok
>it's not stock, don't know what previous owner did to it
>who fucking cares

LOL.

He put k&w coilovers on it, oh and eibach springs, so yeah he's got like $2000 worth of suspension upgrades on there, why the fuck would he care that it's not stock?

OP already said there were no mechanical mods.

>THE BAD--- needs air filters, battery, hood struts
Wow. Literally something thta takes less than a day for a non-car person to do with very cheap parts and little to no tools required.

>The car idles at 1000 rpm. Ive read that normal is about 700... So wtf?
Not really an issue
>Seller told me to reset the ecu to "learn", my driving habits. What??
What does reseting the ecu do? When should i do it?
the ECU computer in some cars learns what you do with the car (only SOME ECU do this). They check if you like to gun it quickly, if you like to hypermil, if you like to track it, etc. and AFAIK it might change the spark timing, fuel injection, and idle RPM and RPM while starting the engine to modify parameters like fuel consumption, performance, and heating up times
>Do dealerships have software upgrades that benefit my car in any way?
Yes but you are better off getting a totally new ECU made for performance upgrades
>I want to reduce weight and/or increase horsepower. How to?? Are the stock wheels concidered heavy or light weight?
Heavy. I dont think you need someone to explain to you how to REMOVE WEIGHT
>Is a super charger a good idea? Or a turbo? Can i use either of these reliably with the stock parts and components?
No and No. You need modified ECU for that, most likely a new fuel regulator and a new fuel pump, new plugs, new fuel injectors, and since the internals are not made for a forced induction engine you will need a full rebuild. And you just got the car? focus on maintenance before trying to hoon it unless you wanna treat it like a shitbox
>Is there any where to buy new or used turbos/superchargers or other desirable aftermarket parts for cheaper?
You mean like searching for turbo kits on ebay and buying a 1000 bucks one?
>And last but not least... I accidentally filled up with 87. I have a full tank. Am i good?
Depends on the engine. Let it bleed all the 87 with idle or without heating the engine up and then add desired fuel.

LOL

Hey everyone thanks for your input and advice. I do feel good about the purchase. Other than stang fags revving at me... I wont race them. Im afraid they'll hurt somone.

Im an experienced driver with almost 9 years on the road. Im comfortable with the horsepower but just want a little more so that i dont get punked by a damn camry. Thats why i was asking about weight reduction.

The previous owner lowered the car about 2-3 inches.. I want to raise it back up an inch or 2. He gave me the k&m tool kit. Can this safely and correctly be done at home with a floor jack? Or should i take it somewhere? Where? Any 'ol shop?

>>Michelin pilot super sports are one of the best performing street tires you can buy.

That was true until recently, Michelin is essentially replacing the Pilot Super Sport with the Pilot Sport 4S.

Funny thing is that the Pilot Sport 4S are actually cheaper than the Pilot Super Sport right now in 245/40r18 - if I had to buy 4 new tires today, that's what I would go with.

too bad that corvette is ugly

Has the optispark been replaced? It's not too expensive, but it is a PITA when you leaving for work in the morning and your car doesn't start.

Op here.

The eibach upgrades were somthing like front and rear camber and toe adjusters...

What are can be done with those? Like crazy wheel positions or somthing? Not that i want to, but just want to know about what is on the car.

To put it simply: camber means the angle of the wheel along its vertical axis. "Toe" is the angle of the wheel along its horizontal axis. There is more to it than that but this is an easy way to visualize it.