I'm thinking about buying an old (1999-2006) Mercedes Benz Slk 230. Thoughts, opinions?

I'm thinking about buying an old (1999-2006) Mercedes Benz Slk 230. Thoughts, opinions?

german mx-5

Current car is a 2003 Audi TT.
The other car I've been thinking about is a BMW Z3.

There's a few others, but most of the cars that I'd like to own I either can't afford or am currently unable to drive due to license restrictions.

Both options are not as good as the TT.

imo that's the last Mercedes that will become a classic, apart from SLS, GT etc. mechanically very robust. I would buy one if I had space for another car.

I know, but I'm really wanting a convertible for Summer (Ausfag) and the TT's got a few issues, the biggest one being a coolant issue and once Summer hits I don't know how long it will survive.

I don't know why but over the last few weeks I've been drawn to the German 4, merc slk, bmw z 3, audi TT & Porsche boxter. (porsche is not legal for me to drive sadly)

can only speak for the SLK, but this generation was really reliable. W124-tier reliable. you probably wont have any rust issues in Aus either so I think it's a good choice. and if you maintain it well you can probably sell it for decent amount of money, they wont get any cheaper than they are now.

There are a couple for sale in my state, varying in price from $10k aud to almost $20k aud.
There's one around $12k that I like, I'm tempted to go see it this weekend.

Problem is my funds are currently tied up in my TT. Which I'd either need to sell or trade...

>I'm tempted to go see it this weekend.
Also may see the Z3. The seller doesn't have may pics available and didn't really list much of a description either so it's kinda shady.

I personally love my slk,have owned it for a while now.

Upsides are - Looks great and people have no idea what they're worth. Power is great if you keep the supercharged engaged (above 2k)
Handling is decent,not floaty so you maintain good road feel.

Downsides - Mild electrical gremlins but easy to fix if you've got a multi-meter and a couple of hours

my other car being a trueno,so my point of comparison is a little abstract hahahah

do I spy a P plate at the front?
not big on the black wheels myself.

The one I'm going to look at has ugly ass stock wheels. I've already been looking into replacing them.
>I don't even own one yet and I'm looking for parts.

Those are e320 wheels that I plastidipped. Yah those are pea plates sadly -.-

If you get one there's just a couple of fixes you should do...first being the k40 relay needs a check and maybe addition of fresh solder.

Secondly theres a control box in the boot that can get moisture buildup...which can screw up your central locking.

Thirdly the rear lights should have the bulbs soldered to the connecting board to negate the heat soaking issue they have from the factory.

Aside from those 3 things they're virtually bulletproof

damn user thanks for the tips!

I'm on P2's (SA)
the SLK 230 is one of the few cars on the exemption list that I find cool so that's one of the reasons I want it.

what honda is this exactly?

Pigfat and gutless. Either get the SLK32 AMG or get a better roadster from that era like a Boxster S

>Pigfat
doesn't that mean american?

I would get the boxter but it is not legal for me to drive as previously stated. Same goes for the SLK32 AMG.

Have to wait another 16 months until I can have a car like that.

So wait 16 months and save even more money, enjoy something that's designed to be fun while under powered in the meantime
190bhp in a 3200lbs car is 4 banger Accord tier. Meanwhile Boxsters make anywhere between 10-70bhp more and weigh like 400-500lbs less

>Can't legally drive semi-quick cars
I'm sorry your government cucks you so hard m8

>I'm sorry your government cucks you so hard m8
the fucking road laws in this country are ass.
the roads are shit.
speed limits keep getting dropped
there isn't a single road near me that's speed limit is 100ks.
Australia is not a place for fun driving

Mommy just bought an 06. I barely fit in it, but it is true that to the majority of the public it might as well be a full-fledged SL worth thousands more than what people actually pay for them.

The second-gen seems pretty solid to me too, but its only been a week...

I do like the look of that, however they're a bit out of my price range at this stage.
also like the wheels a lot better than the ones one

still faster than a BRZ and a LOT comfier.

Comfier sure, but not faster. BRZ is lighter and more powerful
Probably cheaper to run and modify as well

I've been wondering how fast it will be compared to my TT
I'm a good boy and don't go over the speed limit. (seriously in this stay you're fucked if you get caught speeding)
But just because there's a speed limit it doesn't mean I have to go slow. I accelerate to the speed limit as quickly as possible, it's fun in the TT with the turbo and tiptronic auto (inb4 reee auto. it's the only P plate legal model)
I wonder how the SLK's standard auto will do.

look up the 0-60 times, the 230 is faster. probably because it has much more torque.

Retard

>0-60 times
The SLK230 hits 60 in like 6.8 seconds, the BRZ can do it in like 6.2 seconds

sauce? it's not that I don't believe you I'm just curious where you're getting your numbers.

in real world the times are 7.2 for the SLK and 7.6 for the Toyobaru when both are manual. The SLK has more torque across a wider range and hits maximum power at 5.5 instead of 7k. let's not talk about the torque curve of the BRZ...

>A 4 cylinder benz

A quick google search

The BRZ has short gearing, you're going to be above the torque dip when shifting anyway
>7.6 seconds in a manual BRZ
Lol no, whoever was driving that must suck ass at shitfting

I drive a 2.5l Boxster, and despite the much better torque and grip off the line it's around the same in a straight line as a BRZ, given that they both make the same power and weigh the same. And mind you this is after I refreshed the engine so it's making close to what it did new
The BRZ is just a much more modern car, you can't really get around that

>a supercharged 4 cylinder benz

My girlfriend's parents have one as a weekend car and I've driven it a few times. The interior squeaks more than I expected even an older Benz to do, though materials quality is fine for a lower-end early 2000s luxury car.

Power delivery is pretty linear and it has a surprisingly loud exhaust note. It feels a bit quicker than it is, but I think that's true of all louder convertibles. The brakes kinda suck given the car's sporty image. Handling is fine, it doesn't have much body roll but it does feel kinda big.

I'd like to drive an SLK AMG32 at some point, with the extra power and better brakes it'd be a properly fun car.