What have you done to your car lately? Only diy-allowed

What have you done to your car lately? Only diy-allowed

>All filters
>Engine and transmission oil
>Diagnosed starter motor, alternator may be there too
Regular maintenance essentially, took me about 3 hours because my garage is a huge mess and I've to dig to every tool.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SK2R2LdkLKs&t=733s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Cambelt
>Air filter
>Cabin filter
I have no prior mechanical knowledge so the fact it still runs is a miracle

>literally all fluids
>front tie rod ends
>lf wheel bearing
>new shocks all around
>front leaf spring
>front pads, rotors and fluid
>coolant reservoir replaces
>serpentine belt
>poly swaybar bushings
>front endlinks

I've added zerks fittings too so much shit an oil change is going to take an extra 45 fucking minutes now.

>intake and cabin filters
>fixed a vacuum leak
>Coolant + engine oil flush
>manifold gaskets and intake manifold gasket
>deep cleaned inside intake manifold and throtle body
>cleaned/tested injectors
>Deep cleaned engine bay
>replaced a few hoses
> new crank pully, tensioner and s belt
>refinished headlight lenses
>refirbished/lubed calipers at all 4 corners, new pads, and rotated wheels

All in the last few days. I swear I got a 15% boost to power from the cleaning alone, this thing was probably near death from neglect.

That's actually impressive. I believe a dealership would've charged 10k for such work

Putting marine injector nozzles, recalibrating the fuel injector pump, and retrofitting an electric fuel pump on this. Not mine though, a friend's.

>New Serpentine belt
>Changed the power steering fluid
>Air filter
>Oil change
>Washed it

I'm doing brakes and strut rod bushings when the parts arrive.

Replaced both front and rear calipers, new rotors and pads. Only issue now is I think I have a leak somewhere because I'll lose brake pressure over time and have to pump them to build it back up

Rebuilding the front end on this thing, changing the crank position sensor on the grand Cherokee (it died in traffic yesterday), and just getting parts lined out for the willys. Same ol same ol...

installed a new fan thermo switch, it's from an 80's toyota. fit's perfectly in the spot for the stock one on my rx7. stock switch was on at 205 and off at 195. new one is on at 195 off at 185 (i swear they are all supposed to be a 15 degree range, but that's what it's listed as)

Spark plugs

I don't have a jack or a pump or else I'd do the transmission fluid myself. Anyway I'd actually spend more on it doing it myself since the guy I know buys the oem fluid in bulk.

Put some new lights on today

Hey! Got the hood on! Need to line out some panel gaps but only need a couple parts now, ready to get out of this jeep and back in the poncho. Wife gets the Jeep when I'm done with it (should scrap it as she's the most ungrateful person I've EVER met) and I'm back to racking up mileage in the black thing.
Cant. Fucking. Wait.

>removed rust from front subframe
>repainted subframe
>removed rust from driveshafts
>painted driveshafts black

Upcoming:
>covering fake vents with shrinking film for drag reduction
>partial grillblock

Maybe later:
>partial kammback
>weld rusted rear muffler
>flat undertray
>hot air intake for less dense intake air

Chased an "overheating on only extremely hot days" issue for 2 years.
>new radiator
>new thermostat
>new water pump and timing belt
>new fans+shrounds
>changed coolant several times
>replaced radiator caps

spent close to 700$ chasing this stupid problem and it ends up being a shitty O2 sensor causing the engine to run lean and the CEL that never showed itself before finally appeared 3 days ago. Oh well, at least I have all new stuff =(

Is it possible to reproduce the issue on a different engine?
I want to lean mine out a bit for better mpg...

>ecu tune up
>air filter
>oil change
>brake pads
>brake fluid
>coolant
>oil filter
>oil leak half fix

gonna do battery and sparkplugs soon maybe engine retuning

guess what car i have

engine oil, filters, transmission oil, coolant flush, power steering fluid flush, new radiator hoses and new water pump for 200k km service.

>coolant flush
>installed a short shifter
>removed the door lock to get proper keys made

honestly br/o/s make sure you get the key code for your car and get some good spares made. the key i had cut from code compared to the shitty duplicate i got when i bought it is night and day. lubricate your locks too fellas.

Last night I:
Removed front bumper cover.

Shaved block off plate from grill to increase airflow. (This fucking sucked, the plastic would just push and remelt itself somewhere else)

DIY'd a radiator shroud to force air through my radiator/intercooler.

Reinstalled bumper cover.

Hopefully it will keep my oil temps down at the track this weekend. :/

Third coat of high build and jammed it

Ehh, lean isn't too good for the engine. The gains you would get for MPGs would be outweighed by the hotter engine burning the oil, overheating the metal and boiling your coolant by the cylinder walls. I put in a mishimoto performance radiator with their fan shroud and that merely masked my symptoms until the weather warmed up again. If you still want to lean your car out, maybe a tuner shop can do it, but I doubt they'd tell you its a good idea. Also, I've been getting terrible gas mileage for the past 2 years. 20/20 city highway. So idk if a lean burn will give you more power or better MPGs opposed to just overheating your engine.

why are you painting a shitbox?

Overheating is not a issue for my engine, when I maxed it out on the Autobahn for 2 hours it was still at 84 °C.
Also: Insights did it as well and went crazy with it, they ran something like 25:1 A/F ratio for maximum efficiency.

Cars need paint, they will rust without it

>timing belt + drive belts
>battery
>oil + filter
>sparkle plugs
>water pump + coolant drain and fill
>fuel filter
>headlight globe
>wiper blades
>gearbox oil
>general clean and wash

MR2 AW11. Not easy to work on in a cramped little garage, but I make do.

Still trying to diagnose a loud rattling at very slight throttle with low load that also shows up at higher RPMs with heavy load. Thinking it's clutch related as it goes away when I press the pedal.

Remived a broken frankenstein bolt from my miata, and the nut came off with it and fell in a gap between sheet metal in the trunk. Remived it, put the nut back after making sure the threads were ok, and put a new bolt on for my hard top and tightened the latches down to snug. Doesn't make any rattle now whatsoever.
'96 Miata btw

Ive been prepping my C/K for winter.
Ive been scraping the rust off the frame and Im going to paint it tommorow.
Then ill get it oil sprayed afterwards through the week.
That should be enough but Canadian winters are hard on cars.

Boomba shift plate adapter (roll pins were a PITA) and SuperPro 22mm rear sway bar, end links, and sway bar mount chassis struts

I've spent the last three weekends trying to get my piece of shit Holden 5ltr running. I can only get it to run by disconnecting the the map and tps sensors and the idle control valve, and then it runs rich as fuck and stalls under any weight. If anyone knows anything about 304s, give me a (You).

coyote swap

Replaced the fuel pump. I only really wanted to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor and the level sender, but why not replace the whole pump while you're there. Had to pull the bed, every bolt gave me trouble, sheared one off.
If this doesn't fix the code, I'll drive off a cliff

>Drive belts
>Oil change
>All filters
>Replaced fuel lines
>New brake system (Calipers, pads, rotors, fluid)
>New Tires
>Built a headache rack
>Installed toolbox
>Rewired stereo + amp + subwoofer
>Installed new headlight assembly
>Wired CB radio
Pic related is practically fresh out of the box. Just needs a good cleaning.

I've been neglecting my truck.

I need to rebuild the engine (or at least replace the rear main seal, it's down on power so I figure a rebuild is in order anyway), new clutch and figure out the transmission leak.

But I'm dumb and broke and don't have tools because lol college

What car?

>Reattached fender that I body worked
>Cleaned shitty etm
>Tried out this Rust-Oleum peelable primer on my wheels. Fucking waste of money... shit product.

>Painted headers
>Cleaned valve covers
>Rebuilt heads with new springs and valve seals
>Dingleball honed the cylinders with Super Tech 10w30 as lube.

Just had the motor out of my car to do a bunch of work.

>clutch
>CSF radiator
>rerouted coolant outlet to back of block
>removed power steering
>removed non-working AC

All this was in preparation for turbo

Replaced my window motors/regulators. Window went down and didn't come back up, heh. Found a pair of cheapo's on ebay for 50 bucks - two sets of motors and regulators. Not really gonna sink a ton of money into a 15 year old car. Gotta crawl around and look for an exhaust leak next.

How do you remove the power steering? It's something I've been thinking for a while but I don't know how to replace the void left by the pump? Just a idle pully would be enough?

Removed some rust, welding a new piece in next week, also happening next week:

>change gearbox oil
>put in a new airfilter cover
>cleaning carburetor.

Truck got new injectors and fuel pressure regulator and I fixed a vacuum and exhaust leak.

RAV has new brake lines, a rewired, resealed sunroof, which hopefully won't leak anymore (Irma turned my car into a pool). Currently waiting on new parts for my cooling system, still need to buy rear diff mounts and re-cover my headliner.

>fan makes chirping noise at low speeds
>remove fan, clear out any debris from fan housing, brush the squirrel cage thing clean
>re-install
>fan makes the exact same noise as before
mfw

>Coolant
>New oil
>All filters changed
>New exhaust
>Spark plugs + cables
>Valve cover gasket.
>Brakes + pads
>Starter
>Timing belt

Just found out my head gasket needs to be replaced... Will be doing this next week.

>Tfw too poor to pay a mechanic.

>Nobody is born racist

I just looped the lines on the rack and plugged the holes going to the box. There's a more legit way to do it which involves taking the rack apart and cutting out some fluid seals. In hindsight I would have done it the legit way because after getting everything back together the steering requires way more effort than I was expecting, contrary to everything I read on the subject.

As far as the belt setup, the AC and PS are run on the same belt with nothing else. Since I removed both I can just get rid of the belt altogether. Now I just have the stock v-belt running the water pump and alternator.

There are different belts for just PS or just AC, so if you want to get rid of one and keep the other, it's just a matter of getting the right belt.

I filled up the clear coat where it chipped off. It still looks meh but at least doesn't hurt to look at anymore.

For the love of god remember to re-surface the head

For the DIYer (Sorry for the Jesus, you'll know what I mean later):

youtube.com/watch?v=SK2R2LdkLKs&t=733s

Put a new oil pressure switch in so it would stop pissing oil everywhere.

Thanks for the vid user, i really hope the head isnt too fucked up.

Nah man. He wanted to show you that you can go full-diy, I personally would have used a trowel as backbone, because they're generally larger and stiffer, plus the handle is already there.