Why do people like the E39 M5 so much? Are they worth it and are they money pits?

Why do people like the E39 M5 so much? Are they worth it and are they money pits?

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/
motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-ss-takes-e39-bmw-m5-ignition-wvideo/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-12AkZ78jA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Are they worth it and are they money pits?
both

Nothing more to say.

>are they worth it
You betta be taking the piss m8, it's probably the best looking 5 series of all time and the V8 makes 400hp, very nice power to weight ratio with a good CoG
>are they money pits
Compare to the E34, oh good yes

>old M car

people jump on all of them and act like theyre the greatest shit ever tho its usually eastern Europeans

no they really arent worth it

>implying they can afford actual M cars

First post best post.

it is literally the best saloon ever built.
there is a reason modern sports saloons are still being compared to the E39 as the benchmark
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/
motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-ss-takes-e39-bmw-m5-ignition-wvideo/

which is probably why they idolize them

never seen an entire group of people jerk over the E30 M3 so much

>it is literally the best saloon ever built.

I mean thats not a very hard title to achieve

e30 m3 is the most idolized BMW ever.
It is probably the 2nd most idolized German car ever after the Porsche 911.

/thread

STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE GUYS
PLEAS
CEASE THIS NONSENSE

>it is literally the best saloon ever built
umm sweetie

that's the best Opel ever made
i'd pick it over the E34 M5 but not the E39

15+ year old, 4000lb, car with floaty suspension. Totally worth it.

I test drove one and didn't see what the fuss is about.

But if you're looking for a large car that goes fast, it's one of the better options.

endless money pit

What car should I buy Scotty?
I currently own an EK Sedan

Currently own an e39 m5, ama

/Thread

>sell it
>buy an ek hatch
>do a k swap

have a reliably fast DD

done rod-bearings and vanos yet?

The motor in it has 80k miles, but I have a vanos code right now that I'm trying to figure out. Have some metal in the oil so I'm gonna do another change in 3k miles and see if there's still some left. The car is wonderful but you better be ready to diy or have really deep pockets

Why even get a hatch?

A K swap is a waste of money even.

Keep you sedan, swap in a B18C and lower the final drive ratios. Boom, M5 performance for a few grands.

>Why even get a hatch?

cuz it looks cool imo

Though yeah, you don't even need the K swap.

That sucks. I don't know the s62 vanos, but at 100k miles the solenoid valve body on my s54 was full of old oil gunk, used a full can of brake cleaner to get it all out. Could be something like that.

You know what the funny thing is, the Carlton's world record (fastest saloon) was later passed on to the e39 m5
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-12AkZ78jA

Not a luxury car too though.

>M5 performance

I put buslengths on a buddy of mine's EG Hatch with a B18C GSR swap in a 210whp/3100lb E36 M3. Why do Honda owners act like a 20 year old Civic is the end all-be all of cars? I've had 4 of them, you can't put the power down so they're only good for roll racing or if they're under 200whp for corners.

As another M owner, buy it as a second car and do your own work. I'd personally rather just get a E46 M3 unless you REALLY WANT a 4000lb 400hp Sedan that handles well and have the time/dedication for it.

If you just a big comfy V8 tourer, I'd look at a LS2 GTO/CTS-V.

the cts-v look ugly as fuck and the g8 is pretty rare

GTO isn't rare and seats four 6'2 people in comfort. They're $8-14k, look for a 2005-2006.

I cleaned it with maf cleaner an compressed air. I may try again but I'll probably send it to someone who knows better than me