Way to go Houston. Thanks for fucking up the used car market

Way to go Houston. Thanks for fucking up the used car market.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HX-KfoLQbJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=2NQ6YHPTfdg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it'll dry out because it's arid

That's not how it works. Especially if it's salt water damage.

there is no salt in typical rain water

I'd love to buy a once expensive flood damaged car like a mabach, gut it, swap in a small block chevy and replace any electronic suspension with simple leaf springs and shocks

>Implying all cars were flooded from the freshwater rain and some weren't flooded by the storm surge ocean water flooding

If you just take it to a mechanic wouldn't this solve everything? I mean you'd think a mechanic would be able to tell if a car has flood damage.

First you'd have to completely dry your car within 24 hours max, and completely dry you'd have to strip the interior. Most don't have that luxury in a disaster. After that, mold and other microbes start to bloom like crazy, especially because after the storm it became 90+ degrees out.

Second is water in all mechanical parts. Engines and transmissions have breather valves and water can get in there and contaminate the fluids. Basically meaning you should have all fluids changed to be safe.

Third is the electronics. There's no way for a mechanic to check these, you can determine that they work. But if the chips got wet or anything they're severely reduced in life, water can leave dirty deposits in areas that are usually sterile for the most part.

youtu.be/HX-KfoLQbJ8

Check out this video. This guy's brand new WRX got flooded only to the level he's pointing at and it's probably totaled and the whole interior is moldy.

I just had a thought.

If we knew in advance that a hurricane was coming, would dealerships be more flexible with selling off their lots knowing they could lose so much more if they didn't?

Or am I ignorant?

>knowing they could lose so much more if they didn't?
Insurance basically takes care of that.

They're all insured by their brand. Maybe used cars and used car dealerships. Playing chicken with a used car dealer and a hurricane bearing down would be the negotiating battle of the century.

In Florida the University opened their parking garage for people to store their cars above flood levels and an Infiniti dealership took all the parking with their inventory lol.

Depends on their insurance and how many chains they have, I guess.

You're welcome, cunts.

>Infiniti dealership took all the parking with their inventory
That's pretty funny.

That is exactly what it is. Harvey was a biblical rain flood, not a storm surge.

OP pic is exactly why i bought my car a couple weeks ago. I was going to wait for deals near the holidays, but i realized many of these future rust buckets wont be reported as flood damage since they'll never sell.

that plus a massive storm surge...

Shieet, I'm looking to buy a trashed version of my car so I can tear it down for fun, but I'm an ausfag and there aren't really that many. Disaster cars would be fun, guess I'll wait till our next big flood

>there is no salt in typical rain water
You are daft. It is not rain water. It is muddy water full of minerals and some sewage because of course all the sewers were full of water. Dissolved minerals are mostly salts and thus are collectively called salt water. Salt water is not restricted to table salt solutions or winter deicing solutions.

Looks like VIN checks need to be done for cars to see if they come from houston or not.

>i realized many of these future rust buckets wont be reported as flood damage since they'll never sell.
They will be sold in other states and never registered as "flood car damaged". Just like there are house flippers, there are car flippers that look for bargain flood damaged cars. They privately fix cars and do not report it to CarFax or any other database. Then they sell that car in other states. Car flipping entrepreneurs are there to make money from people who are not cautious enough to get a VIN check to verify that car once existed in the texas area as in

surprised they didn't get vandalized/stolen

does this mean cheap shitboxes for me to hoon out or does this mean i have to make sure my parents don't get taken for a ride?

Sorry but i don't believe it. I think if the water didn't enter the inside they will absolutely sell you a pre-cancer vehicle without telling you it was flooded or reporting it. Why lose money when you can lie so easy?

houston is arid? yeah no that place is a literal swamp

In ROCKPORT. In Houston? 50 miles inland? Not so fucking much.

Reread what he wrote

Don't forget there's 200-400k salt water damaged cars from Florida coming to the used market soon as well.

Your a fucking idiot.

>take interest in used shitbox
>run VIN
>Houston in 2017.jpeg
>NOPE the fuck out
It's that easy lads

Some people didn't change their car registration for years after they moved user. You'll never catch those ones.

>live in upstate NY
>won't have to worry about this
Feels good

>2017
>buying used cars in a state full of niggers
you're just asking for trouble

>implying this isnt what happens any time any city floods
My city flooded and shitskins thought it was illegal to sell flood damaged cars and thought they were getting a great deal and a few weeks later the roads were littered with "new" cars

underrated post

>implying that's Houston's fault

Way to fucking go:
Rio Grande Valley area, Galveston, League City, Baytown, Corpus Christi. . .

>Playing chicken with a used car dealer and a hurricane bearing down would be the negotiating battle of the century.
negotiating with biggest blue collar wagiecucks (car salesmen) isn't hard.

no you just have shit rusting from all the salt :(

>get undercarriage coated
>go to a car wash twice a winter
>no rust even on my DD
W-woah!

>Prices return to normal
>"That fucked the market!"

I bought a 2014 used "corporate fleet" ford focus with undisclosed water damage.

The car was a dry clutch automatic 5 speed. The mechanical clutch "servo" was rusted through due to water damage. Likely the last part to get wet so this was a puzzler for me. Free of charge fix at the dealer but still a hassle.

Why aren't such vehicles forced to be scrapped into recycled material or something.

>your
oh the irony

That clearly shows James May as a gay cunt.

He clearly isn't though. youtube.com/watch?v=2NQ6YHPTfdg

Also, just run water softener salts through all the internals, you fucking plebs. Cleans all that water damage right up.

do you lack reading comprehension

Is there anything with Ramsay and Hammond, I've seen him with Clarkson and now May.

Fuck when do we put in Ramsay in The Grand Tour as an interment guest star.

There is money to be make (honestly) here.

There are retarded redditors in the comments crying about how he saved his family instead of a saburu

That's what you get when you're dumb and live in a hurricane prone are