Power Steering

Anyone else hate the feeling of power steering?

I can't stand how light and disconnected the wheel feels while driving.
I've driven a 2015 Clio and a 2014 Megane, and an early 80's Volvo for a substantial amount of time and both the modern cars feel really awful to drive because of the dead/fidgety steering

There's a lot of different power steering options out there now. Electric steering is the worst, especially when it has variable input (it adjusts sensitivity based on speed/angle of vehicle).

Old-fashioned hydraulic power steering is the best, you get good road feel and feedback, but it's responsive enough that you don't have to jam on the wheel at slower speeds.

Basic manual steering is a rarity these days, and basically pleb shit.

/thread

>More parasitic drag on my engine please
>This is the car enthusiast choice

*Tips Fedora*

yeah you really need to eliminate that extra draw on your fuckin rusty Miata eh faggot

really gonna help with those speed-of-light laptimes eh faggot

Real enthusiasts make enough power to not worry about parasitic drag.

Manual rack and pinion is the best. Hydraulic racks are a close second

>Anyone else hate the feeling of power steering?
Only when it's too light. Heavier feeling power steering can still be okay.

Also, there's exactly one car sold today without power steering.

I've never felt anything like the unassisted manual steering on my first econobox. Absolutely brilliant.

I'll have to say my second favorite that I've spent much of any time is is the electric motor assisted steering in the FRS. So it can be done right. Seems to me rank and file cars they just don't care, want to make it a vidya gaem, and it also helps to hide bad suspension, alignment, etc.

>I like the electric steering in the FRS

two, lotus elise and alfa romeo 4c

I'd rather the rack be tighter so that it doesn't have to be quite as boosted. But the basic execution is pretty natural. So I have to disagree that electric is categorically worse than hydraulic. That's all I'm saying.

You don't get natural feedback from electric, that's an objective observation. There's the removal of a direct physical linkage for shock transmission (fluid). Electricuck steering is bitchmode.

FRS has a direct link linkage. It uses electric motors to boost it. It's actually remarkably hard to turn the the wheels with the car parked and turned off.

it has column mounted EPS, that's the worst of the worst

FRS is a cuck car anyways, stop defending it

I'm not here to defend the car. I'm just saying I've driven loads of hydraulic boosted cars with awful steering, and that this particular electric implementation pretty good. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not even saying it can touch immediacy and directnes of the one unboosted car I've ever driven.

>put steering in sport mode
>steering doesnt get more precise, just more numb, heavy and rubberbandy, for lack of a better word

I use it on longer journeys so minor motions on the steering wheel dont upset the car at highway speed. City driving and parking Im all for full comfy, single finger shortened turn radius.

>can turn lock to lock in 3 turns, feels good man

Choosing either or is kinda fucky, steering wheel weighing up with velocity is where its at.

>have mr-s
>delete power steering
it's very light since no weight in the front, and feels sooo good

Do you feel every road imperfection in your hands? Can you feel the bushings and the rack compress until the tire moves over, and gently cusion the whole thing over to were you want your front wheels pointed and banging up and down?

Because my first shitbox was no sportbox, but damn it felt like you were barely grabbing on to the road with your hands.

>the virgin enthusiast worries about parasitic drag on his carefully tuned engine
>the chad carguy has malaise era steer-with-pinkie hydraulic power steering and a whimsical LS swap

"Uueh I have never driven anything without power steering so I missed out on what was essentially normal driving 30 to 40 years ago and I'm jealous of all the people who DO still experience it so I'm just going to say it's lame and stupid. Listen to me I know what I'm talking about"
You're honestly even worse than autofags telling people manual is a fucking meme.

I used to drive a Land Rover, and when I changed to a slightly less shit vehicle that had power steering it was literally the best thing.
Anyone who claims to prefer unassisted steering to power assisted steering is a fucking masochist.