What does Veeky Forums think of Saturn?

Need a cheap shitbox to drive for the foreseeable future, see a lot of saturns in decent shape for pretty cheap. What is the consensus on them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xidhx_f-ouU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't buy 90s compacts

youtu.be/xidhx_f-ouU

>listen here goy don't buy a car you can afford outright, finance and pay outrageous insurance rates too

civic for 2500-3k. anything else will be shit.

I remember the commercials showed a negro man putting on the plastic body panels and smiling. I agree that negroes belong doing manual labor for the white man, and not out on the streets. So I think Saturn is a good company.

If I remember right, Saturns used to be tops for LeMons races.
But it's 90s/00s GM. Take that as what you will.

Great plastic shitboxes. Everything will ratlle and shake but it will get 35 mpg highway no issue. The few that exist are either church cars from old people or 200k miles. Reliability is what you'd expect from GM. If you can get one cheap its worth it. If not just get a jap car.

What should I be aiming for price/mileage wise?
Off the top of my head I remember seeing a 99 auto with 160k for $400 that might need some new rotors, another was a 01 with 137k manual at 1k and change.

>not wanting to go to car Valhalla when you die

My family had had a LOT of these, and I still drive a 99 as my commuter.

Get the manual, the autos are rough at this age.

They burn oil a bit, but my family has put 300k several of these and they get 35-40 mpg easy.

Lowest mileage manual you can find, should be under $1500 at the high end.

Any issues with rust on them?

Dude, theyre made of plastic lmao

I hope this was legitimate and not bait

F r a m e r u s t b o i

Low mileage is good, but you don't want something that hasn't been driven at all. Mine is sitting at 136k right now. Some sort of work was done on the spark plug system because of misfires, but the thing sat for at least 3 months prior to that so it is hard to tell what caused the defect. Most repairs will be shit that youd expect to see on a 17 year old car. Stuff will rust and just wear out, but otherwise the engine is solid. The autos are a bit slushy. Either of the options you listed have huge promise. Take a look at them in person and see what they're really like. If both of them are worthwhile get both.

That was my first car. It was dangerously slow and burned a ton of oil despite it being babied its entire existence. It did make it to 230k miles for me, but it was on its way out. I was able to sell it for $950.

I have a honda now with almost 230k miles and it burns no oil and runs like new. The Saturn did get 40 mpg though compared to my smaller honda's 30 mpg, so there's that.

Don't crash.

I should add that most of my experience has been on a 2000 LS1. Shares parts with various opel, vauxhall, and saabs. The S series was pretty much Saturns OC, so to speak. The L series (and pretty much all saturns past 2000) was just rebranded shit that was meant to be sold trans atlantic. There is a forum just for saturns if you want to get more advice from people.

>F r a m e
It's a unit-body car.

>The autos are a bit slushy
You just don't know how to drive a car with a high stall converter.

The car isn't totally plastic, it has metal structural parts.

>steel spaceframe is somehow now unibody.
The body panels are not structurals, hence Spaceframe. Needs to be built differently/stronger