Personal Fuel Tank & Fuel Life

So my grandpa loves buying useless shit from auctions. A few years ago despite my grandma and him planning to move into an assisted living from their farm he still bought this fuel tank and now they're moving and they gave it to me. It looks identical to pic related, it's a 300 gallon tank.

He filled it full of 93 in 2015 when gas was like $1.70/g and the 93 was like $2/g. He used it for his 66 coronet that he NEVER drives. So naturally tank is pretty much near full probably like 260-270 gallons in it.

Id like to be able to use it since right now its basically free gas to me since they gave it to me since it equates to about $780-850 in gas right now.

Being about 2 years old should it still be good? He added a couple bottles of stabilizer in winter of 2015/2016 but hasnt added any since.

I'm wanting to run it in my 355 1988 fireturd.

Also not really sure how to go about refilling it. My grandpa had a forklift he'd drop it in the back of his f350 with. We paid $100 to this guy with a flatbed to haul it over here. I just have a 2004 Ranger so it obviously isnt going to haul it anywhere. Would a fuel distributor come and fill it being I'd be a private non-commercial customer?

Will it even be cost effective for me to buy it and keep it this way rather than the pump??

>Would a fuel distributor come and fill it?
Yes. They will fill anything. You main enemy is the Fire Inspector.

Fire inspector can go eat a dick

>Fire inspector can go eat a dick
Don't let /pol/ hear you say that

yeah, I'm hoping I'll be okay. We dropped it in the middle of my back yard. I live on the edge of the city still considered part of the city. My house is small but a 2 1/2 car garage and about a half acre of back yard. We dropped it in the the middle of the yard so that it's a good distance between the trees on the property line and away from the house/garage so if something did happen it'd couldn't do much to anything except the grass around it.

You can get it tested, but you have to hope he added enough stabilizer.

op here, that wasnt me.

I'll probably see if I can get it legimiately anctioned here soon. Although if I read that its going to be basically impossible I might just try to keep it without them knowing for as long as possible. I'm tempted to build a small aluminum shed around it.

test the fuel out on an old shitbox.
does it come with pumps and stuff? I'm interested on getting something similar myself

I work for an oil distributor and we deal with a lot of similar tanks for different lubricants.
I can say if it was in a good sealed system like a car or barrel you'd be fine. If it were something like E85 I'd be worried.

However these style tanks are usually vented in some way and are more susceptible to getting moisture in them. They're meant for high volume usage not long-term storage.

Now more than likely it's probably fine, but I wouldnt want to risk running it through a built motor or anything. I'd put it in my dialy driver all day. I would have it tested before you run it through the 355.

Sounds like a plan. But if they ever find out it's illegal or something happens and it's not legal, you're going to get assraped.

And I would test it on like an old lawnmower or something before a shitbox. It could be half varnish by now.

Yeah, that's a way of dodging inheritance taxes.

I tried to buy a sabra once, but a fire inspector told me that it was a gas guzzler.

got it, ill definitely get it tested first
it would make sense that these tanks arent set up to store these fluids for long periods
ill go ahead and fill it in my ranger next time, im sure its probably good enough for the little 4cyl
yeah, im not reading much against them though from searching here.. and my city is pretty lax/chill about what you do on your property so I might be safe.
what?
yeah im not sure how 2 bottles of stabilizer will hold over almost 300 gallons for 2 years.
this one didnt but i found this - this is the exact pump setup my grandpa has on it. he bought it for it. It works ok. Doesn't pump as quick as a standard gas station pump but it works good for what it is I think

also you can run the pump off whatever you want, a battery or something. My grandpa just has one of those tailgator $100 harbor freight gas generators it runs on.

What state are you in? There's a chance your grandfather used ethanol free. If so, it will last decades

im in southern Nebraska. Pretty sure it is ethanol free cause he got it from the truck stop that doesn't have ethanol in their 89 or 93. He didn't want to run ethanol in his coronet.

Hello, /pol/ here.

Yeah so things considered you're probably fine. It couldn't hurt to have it tested but unless you're running 12:1 it better you'll be alright. The 2.3 in your Ford should take it like a champ

They're not going to shut down these digits

>I'll build a small aluminum shed around it.
Creating an enclosed vapor space is dangerous.

If he implements convection cooling and puts in some cross-flow slats it'll be fine.

>tfw gonna buy these tanks and hoard fuel for madmax era that will befall us when North korea nukes the world

Run it through a beater that you don't care about. Worse case, its not that great and the beater runs like shit. You -might- be able to balance it out by running half a tank of your stuff and half a tank from a station. Then once you empty the tank you'll be in the clear, mostly.

Best used in summer. Avoid hard driving.

shoot it, it'd make a good explosion

How are you going to move an almost full 300 gallon tank plus contents?

It is (was) on a farm. Are you moving it to another farm? Because most of the exemptions from fire regs are for agricultural/industrial use only. Put it on residential property and the code people will just say 'Fuck you'.

>what?
Gifts before your death are not counted as taxable inheritance. He KNEW he was going to leave it full of fuel for you, and that's a bunch of money he gets to basically give you. And, best of all, he filled it when fuel was cheap, so you cut a profit off his generosity.
Is he jewish, by any chance?

Um, you boys do realize that the light ends in ethanol free gas evaporate to the atmosphere as well, right?

Clearly not.

Unfortunately, OP, the potential energy stored in that gas has been greatly reduced.

It would be worth it to see if it will still burn, but do not put it in anything you care about, be prepared for bogging and abysmal power.

You just can't store light flammable alcohols for 30 years, that's not how it works.

OP, take two foil turkey pans or pie tins, pour a cup of New gas and a cup of the old stuff in each. Now, light a match, and toss it towards both.

Examine the size of fire both produce. Set the pans on gravel in your drive or something, for science it would be cool if you could take a pic and post here.

This will give you a guage of how much "bang" there is in that fuel vs pump gas.

I'm curious, I suspect the one will rage with the for of 1000 sun's for 30 seconds, and your old gas will burn but probably more like a big tiki torch.

Also, contrary to what's been posted here, smaller engines are more finicky about gas than big ones. The most ideal one to take gas like this would be a big fuel injected v8

Do NOT put it in anything carbed.