/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread : Spider : "It's you !!"
Cat : "HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN"

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.petsgrude.petcat
youtube.com/watch?v=5qXNqmGn6Fo
steamcommunity.com/games/magickatest/announcements/detail/1333476769479807294
store.steampowered.com/app/410110/12_is_Better_Than_6/
store.steampowered.com/app/15750/Oddworld_Strangers_Wrath_HD/
store.steampowered.com/app/252410/SteamWorld_Dig/
youtube.com/watch?v=KJ71Wz90zt4
youtu.be/4cysEVwOSkw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'll probably add Age of Decadence next time.

That's a shady looking cat.

But AoD was released in 2015.

Sorry, despite being a spider lover, I found myself smitten by the cute little Niko.
I want to hug her.

I wanted to be sure the thread wouldn't be hijacked by Romans fighting djinns for the Longinus Spear or something.

It started being talked about here despite not being listed in the OP.

He might mean the OP, like how OneShot got added to the OP's text last time.

Any of you making anything?

Wish I could

What's stopping you?

Nothing to make a game with aside from gamemaker I think, and even then I have no idea how to use that or anything else. I thought I had a free version of an rpg maker but I was wrong apparently.

RPGMakers are all -80% on Humble right now, or just pirate that shit

>tfw winter

I kinda like not having the obligation to water plants for a whole session. Now I'm gonna have time to get a bunch of sprinklers made for spring.

Yes, it'll come out in 2030. Please wait for it!

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.petsgrude.petcat

oh boy, at least let me kickstart and patreon it now!

Cowboy games. Please. I need them.

Red Dead Redemtion. Hard West. Westerado.

A True Western Romance
Blues For Mittavinda

Outer Darkness is pretty neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=5qXNqmGn6Fo

>page 10
How about no?

Thinking of stuff to keep the thread rolling can be hard.

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of us looking at this thread, trying to think of something to say, and hoping someone else will manage to think of something to say. Is that about right?

I'd blog my playthrough of a game but I don't want to be too intrusive.

My problem is that I have a lot of games I'd like to talk about, but they're relevant to /civ4xg/ rather than /indie/, since most of them aren't indie or obscure, but rather just old.

>Card City Nights 2
Thanks for doing this. I wouldn't have known.

steamcommunity.com/games/magickatest/announcements/detail/1333476769479807294
Got delayed/real release date announced.

But usually winter has a big storm that fucks up your farm, or at least it did in harvest moon.

store.steampowered.com/app/410110/12_is_Better_Than_6/
store.steampowered.com/app/15750/Oddworld_Strangers_Wrath_HD/
store.steampowered.com/app/252410/SteamWorld_Dig/

I love mobile games. I have no idea if them count as indie through.

I'm under the impression that they only deal damage to other heroes when afflicted, not when they're at death's door.

>They would most likely die in the process.
Well yeah, that's the point. When they die they party heal + nuke and stun enemies.

Still too much RNG.

>Well yeah, that's the point. When they die they party heal + nuke and stun enemies.
Why would I want him to die when I spend hours grinding him to level 6 and spend so much money to max his gear and skills? Not to mention stygian mode where enough deaths means losing the game.

See, that's the problem. You can't implement a high risk/reward mechanic in a game that punishes risk that much, especially when the punishment means hours of tedious grind or losing the entire run.

Torchless runs have same issue, a neglible bonus to CRIT and few more spaces for loot (even though you will most likely run out of torches by the end of normal runs and have loot in almost all slots anyways) is not enough to make up for how much stronger the enemies are and how much more likely it is to die to a crit or get afflicted.

No one is using the martyr's seal, either. It's almost like the devs are not playing their own game.

bump

In 7 days to die, what's the best way of training armor?

Also what's the best way to get iron?

I'm mostly mining surface rocks.

Can't you recycle scrap metal?

You can scrap metal itens into scrap metal, and then use at the forge for 1 iron each.

However zombies itens generate very little iron, also breaking metal itens don't give much.

Do you have mines? Special buildings like in Skyrim where you're guaranteed to find ore veins?

man fuck Stephen's Sausage Fest

man fuck Age of Empires 2

Them's fightin' words user

Supreme Commander is better.
Come at me, fag.

BOI I'M COMIN

There is a small chance to find iron ore inside the earth, but I still didn't find any mines (I'm in random gen).

>Age of Empires 2
>takes place over several centuries
>massively scaled down for the sake of the game

>Supreme Commander
>take place over the FUCKING GALAXY
>only nukes are scaled down, everything is accurate

>meaning that before you can get a single peasant born and raised, an UBC has already build a space, and has constructed an experimental farm
Don't try to fight. In term of powerlevels, the UBC shits on everything.

whats wrong user?

Just finished one and in the brainstorming progress for a new one.

All the guides I read were complete and utter trash. /Civ4xg/ explained me that before it became Stellaris and Endless Space 2 General.
Basically.
>guide said to never bother with the sheeps and rush the farms
>read online that sheeps give a lot of food and very quickly while farms had a very slow food income for a huge wood cost

>guide said to never bother with skirmisher
>everyone in pro game use skirmishers rather than archers

I also prefer Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

>page 10
Seriously?

I just got back and was thinking of playing something I haven't in a while, like Guacamelee on hard or something.

I don't know Cuacamelee is .

This isn't actually uncommon for /indie/ overall, it goes through waves of high usage and constant bumping

It's a mexican-inspired metroidvania where you play as a luchador, and it's pretty fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=KJ71Wz90zt4
remember when breadman could make funny jokes
yeah nah me neither

great co-op too

I've never played the original Card City Nights and know nothing about it, but I loved both Ittle Dews and their distinct art style. Is it worth playing?

the actual core game is pretty interesting: it genuinely allows for multiple play styles and counterpicking and the enemy encounters try to reinforce that. Aggro strats are a too strong compared but it won't carry you

but the metagame of collecting cards is tedious and the UI is absolute trash

A perfect game for a v2 imo

So would you say it's more worth it to just wait for 2 and skip 1 entirely?

So.
Um.

I wanted to complain about the climate in Rimworld making it difficult to get used to anything, but then a friend showed me a Cthulhu mod, and then he sacrificed a prisoner to Dagon.
I'm going to drink to forget.

that'd be fair, although as is it's probably not a bad time

I will say tho I just looked at the thumbnail and it looks like the actual game mechanics have been switched up this time around, so it's very possible that the sequel is just a different game.

Noted. 4 bucks is pretty expendable either way, might grab it on a whim on a slow day.

The last fuck hurt my ears.
Looks fun, seems like another meatboy, which is neat.

That's Rich Evans, isn't it?

Got a list of freewares for reference?

>finally decide to check out dead cells
>first boss constantly goes invulnerable
Why make it more of a chore than anything with something like this?

The invulnerability just indicates that you've pushed the boss to its next phase.

Man I hate Palings, kiss my ass Final Fantasy 12, kiss your palings

I hate Palings

One what?

One shot.

Hey, thanks.

Game is actually quite a positive surprise so far. Does a lot of things I simply did not expect it to do.

Stat checks, for one. The game does them automatically and without telling you about them, but with a little bit of savescumming I'm now fairly certain that I have seen checks for at least charisma, dexterity, and strength.

Or interacting with the environment. It's not the most interesting or useful thing, but you can still lit and unlit torches, make and unmake beds, pick up smaller items like chests and place them elsewhere like in Divine Divinity, use items on things that the game doesn't tell you can be interacted with, like selecting an empty pot from your inventory and dropping it on a water basin will fill the pot with water.

Or the reactivity. Some people don't like it when you try to take their stuff and warn you to piss off. Some things are on timer, and if you don't react fast enough there are consequences. Like if you linger in the Arena for too long the announcer eventually gets bored of waiting for you to leave, and releases another group of monsters for you. Or when you are summoned to fight, other slaves refuse to chat with you and urge you to report to the guard asap. If you don't, the guard sends someone to fetch you. If you still don't go, he sounds the alarm and the guards will come to hunt you down.

Nor did I think that the game would allow multiple ways to finish quests. Your first task is to escape from the slave pens, and the game gives you quite a bit of freedom to achieve this, both combat and non-combat options.

For example one slave told me that if I get him a valuable gem, he can bribe the guards and get us out. After going through a "quest" to get it, you go to the gate, and the guard lets you out. A fun bit here is that you can initiate dialog with him, and ask him what he thinks about the slave. If you asked the slave to come with you and he is within earshot, the guard will tell you that he is trustworthy. If he isn't nearby, he will instead warn you that he wouldn't trust him in your place. The slave leads you to the office of the head Templar, who offers you a quest to meet up with his people in an inn once he led you out of the pens, and if you accept gives you four strong healing potions for your party. If you follow him, he will of course lead you into an ambush and will call you a retard. If you talk with him but instead of falling for the ruse slip away before reaching the ambush, you can search for the sewers without anyone bothering you. Of course the healing potions are actually very strong poison, so drinking those is not a wise idea. But you can pawn them off for dosh later. Or you could just kill him, you are allowed to kill every NPC. The loot he drops is pretty sweet actually, he even has a unique magical dagger. But on the other hand managing to escape without combat or triggering the alarm nets you a substantial EXP bonus to make up for it.

And there are still other ways, you could for example fight a few rounds in the Arena, become a respected gladiator, and convince other gladiator groups to join you and start a revolt.

Seriously, this is so much more than what I expected from a 25 year old game. Even if this ends up just the usual polished tutorial and nothing more, the game still does these things.

Don't you dare saying that again.
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE!

That's pretty impressive indeed. Sounds like the kind of game you play several times.

Just finished making a game and now im in the brainstorming process for making another game.

Next week I'm going to be figuring out which indies I own and haven't played yet work on my budget laptop with an integrated Intel. On Linux.

I have a suggestion. It involves spiders.

Youre gonna crucify me but i find spiders boring. I like things with multiple thin legs though.

You're right. I AM going to crucify you.

youtu.be/4cysEVwOSkw

That's yet to be seen, but it will be damn impressve if that ends up the case.

With combat and character building I feel a little lost though. Combat is something the manual pretty much glosses over, so I don't even understand how turns work yet. Seems pretty inconsistent, instead of everyone getting their turn and then starting again in the same order, sometimes one character gets to act several times before everyone would have got their chance to act. It's strange.

And building a pure psionicist is giving me a headache. This probably depends on Wisdom, but on level up I have the option to pick either two new spells from the complete library, or improve the hit chance of a spell I already know. But you start as level 3 and the cap is 9, so that doesn't leave much room for error,

But speaking of psionics, I really fucking love this system. It does a lot of awfully clever things.

Psi spells that last for more than a turn have an initial psi cost you pay on cast, but also a maintenance cost for every turn while it's active. If you run out of psi, the spell ends too.

If anyone hits you, it breaks your concentration and you can't cast that turn. If you fail to cast a spell, you will still have to pay half of its psi cost.

And telepathy spells are flavorful as fuck. The psi cost of Dominating someone becomes higher the better they are protected mentally. If you want to cast psionic invisibility on yourself instead of magical, if there are more enemies around, it's more tasking for you to mindfuck each and every one of them into not seeing you, so the spell again costs more psi with each enemy that is around.

>psionic
>for a gladiator
????

What's the best way to do the raider quest in AoD as a combat character?

Every person in the Dark Sun universe is psionically active, some are just better than the rest. Every class can pick one of the psi disciplines and learn some spells for it, but only a psionicist can learn all three.

A gladiator class for example benefits most from the Psychometabolism discipline, since those spells usually improve melee-related things, and hit chance is usually calculated from constitution.

You mean Esbenus and his crew in Teron?

Depends. Killing them is the most straightforward and pretty easy. Killing both the raiders and aurelians at the outpost gives you a Terminator title.

If you can't kill them yourself but have high enough PER you can give info to Dellar so he sends his own people to do the job for you.

Alternatively, I think you can pay that 1000 gold ransom yourself if oyu can't convince Dellar to pay. It's a lot of money, but it will allow you to send people into the Arch by buying slaves instead of passing a persusion/streetwise checks so it's a pretty good deal for non-talkers. Keep in mind you need some lore/crafting or be an Imperial Guard (buy the ghost hand and tubes from the guy at Harran Pass) to interact with the Arch at all.

Other than that, thieves can ask Cado to take care of raiders if you steal a goblet for him with high enough sneak and lockpicking. Builds with enough persuasion, trading and 7 INT can convince Esbenus to give up the hostage and attack the outpost for you, basically killing two birds with one stone.

Find the raider.
Stab him repeatedly in the testicle until he cries.
Say "You are a raider, legendary!"
??????
Profit!

What's the easy mode climate in Rimworld?

What's a good strategy to kill them? I have 10 STR, 9 DEX, 7 CON, 6 PER, 6 sword, 4 block, and 3 critical strike

You can insta-kill the leader with enough CS. Don't know if 3 is enough, if it's not enough put more points into CS if you can, doing that makes the fight a lot easier as Esbenus is the most dangerous of them all for melee builds.

You use block so getting a big shield with good bonus vsRanged could possibly allow you to ignore the archers while you take care of the melee guys.

Other than that, poisons, well-placed bomb throws, nets, bolas, etc. all help a lot.

Oh, right, Dark Sun. I mistook it for Age of Decadence for a moment.

So it's a Planescape story?

Don't start combat through dialog, you'll be overwhelmed. Tell Esbenus you'll deliver his message, then cut down one of the archers at the camp entrance to start combat.

I am playing Tidalis which is a arcade-puzzler by Arcen Games. It's pretty good because it has a higher skill ceiling than most games of its type

Huh? By Planescape story do you mean that if it's part of the greater DnD universe? Yeah. But Dark Sun is kind of its own, isolated thing. No traveling between planes or anything like that, no DnD pantheon either. It's a dying universe.

Anyone play Monolith yet?

>tfw you are just reminded that you live in a timeline where AoE2 got four expansions

bryan did

Got a list like this for past years? I'm looking for low spec games to play on my laptop and don't care about the year

I'm from /xcg/ but I just had a squadwipe, could someone point me to some good Stardew Valley mods for my recovery period?

>this fucking ice/water sword
Hell Yes Motherfucker

I can't get over how much this looks like an H-game.