Golf GTI Thread

Alright, so I just got the APR Stage 1 tune on my MK7 GTI and holy fucking shit. I am still on the stock all season tires and second gear is absolutely useless. It even spins in third.

So, naturally, I think I should get some better tires. I am trying to do this in the most cost effective way possible because I am tired of wasting money on car parts (went too ham on a Miata last year). So what would be my best bet?

I do plan on using the car to commute and as my daily so I want to keep the stock tires since they are good high mileage tires I can rack up the miles with but I also want some grippy summer tires so I can actually use some of my gears. Would it be stupid to just get good tires for the front wheels and leave the rear stock? Do people usually go up in tire size on these cars or just stick to the stock 225s?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=super sport tires
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sell your Miata

I sold it already my dude. That is why I got the GTI

Holy shit my dude mine is bone stock, got it 3 months ago so the tires are still pretty damn good and I've had the same issue with wheel spin on the DSG automatic in normal driving mode

Isn't there some meme about gtis getting more power to the ground than STs despite less HP? What the hell man

Mine is brand new too the tires are just too shit to hold the power. Get the stage 1 tune if you can afford it

Just get the Super Sports.

super sport whats

>>Super Sports

No, do not do this. Get Pilot Sport 4S - they're the successor to the super sports and are better in every way.

Also, getting wide wheels does not help much as far as putting power to the ground in a straight line. You get wider wheels for when tracking a car to ensure that you maintain good contact with the tarmac during a turn.

What will make the biggest difference is an LSD. After that would be to stiffen up the suspension to reduce the amount of weight transfer to the rear... but that would probably compromise your ride quality significantly.

In any case, now you know why lots of torque in a FWD car kind of sucks.

google.com/search?q=super sport tires

thx. ill look into them. yeah its slipping a lot even in third gear.

is it ok to just get them for the front tires?

No

Its not, you want 4 new tires, having two worn and 2 new is just gonna cause you traction problems

What did it run you? I'm definitely interested, I was looking at putting together a timeline for mods but I read their website and having a chip tune with no other mods is great for preserving my warranties

It was $699 even just for the stage 1 tune. Took about 45 minutes and it completely changed the car.

Yeah, it probably voids the warranty but the stock warranty is shit as it is. What is it, 3 years/36,000 miles for the engine?

Personally I really wouldn't recommend that since it can have unforeseen consequences on how your car behaves under more extreme circumstances when attempting to brake, turn, etc.

Sure, you might be able to rip some hectic skids and induce oversteer/powerslide more easily but the lack of balance is the last thing you want when hitting some puddle or it rains, or some forces you into some emergency maneuver... you get the idea.

Just do all 4 corners and if your old tires are still decent sell them for $100 or $200.

>some "tuner" charged this fuccboi $700 to make his car run rich
>placebo effect so strong he thinks his FWD shitbox is a racecar now

man I checked a lot of boxes but no bingo.

Checked

lmao
OP destroyed

Dude, most MK7 GTIs have an LSD.

That is if they got the performance pack for years 2015-2016 or bought anything higher than an "S" model for 2017.

I have the VAQ LSD in my 2017 and it really helps put down the power, my car is stock but coming from an APR stage 1 2015 Jetta you can tell how much of a difference that LSD makes.

That Jetta had horrible wheel hop and the open dif was horrible because traction control simple cut power to mitigate wheel spin. And you couldn't turn off traction control.... lol

You know what fixed it? Some Goodyear Eagle F1s. It was a night and day difference. My car had the all season perellis on and fuck me they just suck for real performance driving.

So anyone here struggling with traction, get sticky tires!

Now my 2017 GTI has those same pirellis but my god that LSD does some work.

Hah, someone does realize that we are talking about turbo cars here.

Listen you dumb mother fucker, this isn't some placebo 93 tune on an N/A car these APR tunes increase BOOST and thus power.

I mean, don't take my word for it or anything, it's not like I had an APR tuned before. I totally didn't run 13s in a fucking Jetta....

>y-you don't understand
>my "tuned" Jetta really was a race car!

13's is pretty small for a Jetta even a first or second gen 15's really help how the car feels on the highway.

>all season tires

Why so bootyhurt, do you drive an ST or something?

>he thinks turning up the boost makes a car run rich

lmao

It just comes with shitty tires it wouldn't do that on a good summer tire.

You're right everyone thats been tuning every turbo car for years is wrong.

I have my 140bhp TDI mapped to 200bhp, its really not the same car you dribbling retard