They look boring, and aren't very fast

They look boring, and aren't very fast.

Is their engine holy, or is it just some hyped shit.
They are expensive as shit, even the old ones with +250 000km.
And don't come with the whole it lasts 6 gorillion km bullshit, there are far cheaper and better looking cats whose engines last long.
I just don't get it.

Ps: Can't wait to get angry comments from Land Cruiser owners.

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1997-mitsubishi-montero/6303534946.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-mitsubishi-montero/6285964393.html
inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1997-mitsubishi-montero-obo/6308886809.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>cats
Lel, that was funny

Bümp

look at its competitors at the time

>they look boring
No they don't.

>aren't very fast.
because SUV owners prioritize speed when they look for vehicles..

>there are far cheaper and better looking cats whose engines last long.
Name one with similar capabilities

>250,000km

That's a highway vehicle so it's been well treated. No bush wagon will last that long.

The vehicles we carry, brand new, into the bush are having major problems at 30,000 miles no matter the brand or model. Hell if you bring a 100,000-300,000 mile vehicle from the first world it is considered brand new here.

The difference is what you have to consider buying for your workmen. You're not going to put your driver's in an expensive pickup with infotainment and parking sensors because that shit is going to be giving problems within a week if you are lucky.

The 70 used to be good but with the new V8 they brought out it has gone downhill. Too fickle and badly shoehorned in. The F and H engines were much better

And yes, these things are cheap in the used car market.

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1997-mitsubishi-montero/6303534946.html

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-mitsubishi-montero/6285964393.html

inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1997-mitsubishi-montero-obo/6308886809.html

Thanks for the info

Ps: Are you a white African (South African, Namibian)?
Just curious.

no I'm a N(Argentinian)igga

>Only available in 3/5 door options
>Uglier than the LC
>Only 4WD, no RWD Option
>Engine options stop at wimpy V6s, LC engines go up to V8 Diesels
>Weaker engine with a lower towing capacity
>And it's got worse reviews on most sites that reviewed both

Nice meme.

but it appeared on initial d so it has legit jdm cred, when was the last time a LC appeared in a manga?

das rite mane

>LC engines go up to V8 Diesels

Exactly the ones you don't want.

all subjective
>muh pickup bed
>muh veeate
>muh rwd
>muh towing
>muh car&driver user reviews

literally none of these make the LC superior

But its still literally a fraction of the price.

Monteros rust out worse and the engines weren't as durable. Otherwise great trucks, rare to find nowadays if you don't want a Sport

>offroad vehicle without 4WD
What the fuck is the point?
Is it an American thing?

I have a Sport, god I wish had a normal fucking Montero.

yeah they take their brand new lifted 2wd silveerrrdo and get stuck and listen to florida georgia line

>N(Argentinian)igga
Kek
I asked because the white Africans love those cars, and you wrote about bushes.

A meme pic related

Truth. Delusional Toyota drivers driving exclusively on highways, bragging about how tough their car is always annoy me. You take a Land Cruiser off the road, it will have issues within 50k miles. Just like a GMC, Jeep or G-wagon. That's just how it is.

*blocks your path*

*tows you away*

>implying it isn't obvious the f150 is stuck

>Ferd BTFO by inbred engineering

Hot.

Because they're durable as fuck. It's not just the engines, it's everything.

Same reason 4Runners and FJs cost so much - they're overbuilt and under-stressed so they tend to last a shitton longer than their competition.

>body lift
>chrome wheels
>side steps
>weeaboo clear turn signals
>personalized plates
>nigger tints

GM and Chrysler products are dogshit that fall apart under normal road use.

There's a reason terrorists are driving battered Toyota with HMGs mounted to the bed, and not Sierras.

>talkin shit about dadeeez ride

fagut u better chek urself before u rek urself

>Same reason 4Runners and FJs cost so much

They only cost so much because of the Toyota badge.

>overbuilt and under-stressed so they tend to last a shitton longer than their competition

If their competition is the Pajero, Pathfinder and Trooper then they are really no better. Seeing as you say 4 Runner I can tell that as an American you think the rest are junk, but in reality the Hilux Surf is no better than the rest.

You can't compare any of them to a J70 anyway.

The Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with a 5speed was pretty rock solid.

*replaces you*

t. bitter domesticuck

The one made 20-something years ago? Yes they weren't bad, even though they do have some niggling issues (i.e. slip yoke).

Now let's look at FCAs current offerins:

>Grand Cherokee - shit unibody cuckmobile
>Renegade - shit unibody cuckmobile
>Wrangler - somehow BOF w/ SRA and SFA and still a piece of unreliable dogshit

*surpasses YOU*

The Cherokee was unibody as well. The Grand Cherokee has a unibody bonded to frame rails, it at least it did as recent as the wk2.

modern GCs are a wet noodle with glass transmissions and tissue paper interiors

absolute fucking trash vehicles in every possible way

they used to be a goddamn workhorse, and I'd pick up an old Cherokee/Wagoneer in a heartbeat - but the new ones are grocery getting cuck cars

>Retarded American

Everyone is domestic on their own country. My country is not America if you re-read my statement you will potentially find the obvious clues to that.

>ford driver staring back
>rear wheel stuck in ground
Hmm

"Battered"? Kek. They're driving brand new yotas, the ones that haven't been eaten alive by rust. The endless sand over there is hell on the paint and frame underbody.

The Hilux and diesel LCs over there are also not even comparable to the cuckmobiles they sell in the US.

"Durable" like the 3VZE head gasket blowing machine? Here in NZ at least, those things were massive turds. Would blow head gaskets even with a perfectly good water pump.

Their only redeeming feature was they were easier to work on than a straight six Jeep.

The reason they are expensive and sell so well is that in a lot of markets there's nothing 4x4 that can carry the same payload. In my smallish town there are a lot of apiarist companies that have fleets exclusively made up of V8 turbodiesel flat deck landcruisers because for one season in the year they have to carry 1000 litre pallet tanks of sugar water to feed the bees with, into some pretty shit terrain. They last ok

>>Only 4WD, no RWD Option
Wut? The superselect you can choose either 2wd, AWD, 4wd and 4wd low...

No point in arguing with a yotaweeb, just say that a Toyota will last 6 gorillian km without so much as a water pump failing, he might fuck off if you agree with him.

What's wrong with the V8 diesel? Apart from working on it...

There's absolutely nothing redeeming about a Defender over a J70 Landcruiser, apart from maybe the marginal standard height wheel travel. But the the Cruiser has the option of switch able front and rear lockers anyway which the Defender doesn't.

>modern GCs are a wet noodle with glass transmissions and tissue paper interiors
They have quite a torsionally rigid frame compared to other ladder bars (and the joke of an XJ previously mensioned), an overkill and rock solid ZF gearbox used with many other manufacturers the world over and an interior that ages fantastic, especially for a high end interior.
>XJ inevitably gets bogged
>torsional frame twist keeps two of the four doors jammed shut

Maybe the WJ or WK but the WK2s are actually pretty good. ChryslerDaimler was a massive flaming disaster, but FCA isn't anywhere near as bad.

They even offer the WK2 in diesel with manual options now. Also the new Jeep JL looks exciting, a pickup based on the JK with sturdier axles.

mercedes g wagon is pretty cute. better have deep pockets

Luckily they ditched this concept.

Lol. Try again.

That thing is iconic but it's a piece of shit, just like everything else British.

They did? So what are they going to do now?

It isn't. Range Rovers and Discovery's are notoriously unreliable, but Defenders (newer ones, say 2006 and up) are actually surprisingly reliable.

They don't sell those here in the US, but I'd guess they sell well because they're simple and iconic, just like the defender and wrangler. It's a cult car.

Nobody knows. Right now Land Rover the company is like a chick that just broke up with Chad, and is now trying all these different guys to forget the fact that Chad was the one for her all along.

>just say that a Toyota will last 6 gorillian km without so much as a water pump failing

Never listen to a faggot kiwi
Literally making shit up just to troll

Just look at the new "Discovery" :)

>Chad

I think you mean Ricky. She is dating all the chads now

Same shit in the Caribbean though. They just dropped two new Surf shells off at the dump site and I asked the guys what was up (rare to throw away a Toyota because they command so much it is often better to rebuild them). They said that they kept giving so many problems that the owners just parted them out.

5L engines are the one you want.

Additional backstory. My brother in law nearly bought this one 5 years ago because it was running and cheap and here it is now.

We live in a country where you don't waste so a vehicle in the dump is well past its life span, it would have been a second hand import from Japan. It's off to one side as you can see there are some body bits that can still be used

>They look boring
speak for yourself. looks exactly like an SUV should, imo

>mfw Land Cruisers will never look this great again

Looks breddy derible desu

lolno, how about you try next?

imagine paying 40k for a 30 year old shoebox when cheaper alternatives are better looking and equally as capable.

That front bumper has to be a foot long.

30 year old design=!30 year old car.
Now I'm one of the few that'll defend and argue for Monteros all day long, but there's many things they can do that J70 Landcruisers are designed for.
Granted the Monteros have similar size crown and pinion diffs and the Cruiser with similar size axles, but they lack the Cruiser's full floating axle and live axle front end, not to mention the larger engine options of the Cruiser.

And its a bit silly comparing price against completely different years of manufacture regardless of when the model was designed.

You pay for quality engineering and parts that results in uncompromising reliability.

Something Americans find hard to understand apparently.

This is why you see people in America bragging about clocking 200,000 miles in a car like it is a rare thing and they are driving down straight and level freeways 95% of the time.

Landcruiser will do a million miles through the Australian outback.

>they look boring

Negative, Ghost Rider. I’d kill for one in the states

don't get LWB
useless off road
flounders like a fish

Me too

>defending its looks
>posting non-factory examples

the absolute state of Toyotafags

>Family has had one since I was 4
>Never really thought much of it
>Start getting into cars
>Realize there's actually a little community for these
>Tfw 288k miles on it and it's still trucking along

If you want to go into the wilderness, drive a Land Rover. If you want to return, drive a Land Cruiser.

So edgy, my friend

It's a saying that's been around as long as Land Rovers, new faggot.

If you want to go into the shopping mall, drive a Land Rover.

I reckon they look their best with factory skinny wheels, 7.50R LT tyres and factory steel winch bar.
Sorry you're a homo sex.

>Being such an unimaginative cuck that you keep a 4x4 bone stock

This. Even Land Rover fags admit that their requires repair frequently.

Depending on the terrains they perform better with skinny wheels. That's why you see some tractors with scrawny wheels and some with broad wheels. It's not a debating subject when the agricultural sector has obvious examples.

Most vehicles that are 4x4'd out of necessity are bone fucking stock outside of body upfits for their intended use.

In America offroading is primarily for hobbyists so that's why you find American offroading are customized a lot more than something that lives in the fucking Congo. How the hell are you going get (and afford) a light bar if you operate where it's hard to find clean fuel?

The only nice thing about Montero's is that their engines take shits easily, so that means very inexpensive and very clean rollers on Craigslist.

And do you know what engine bolts up directly to the engine mounts AND bell housing?

A Lexus 1UZ-FE.

So you can buy a cheap roller with full interior and working everything for like $1k, thrn a junkyard 1UZ for $300 or less, and be rolling with a strong chassis and one of the most reliable and durable V8's ever.

Thanks for buying a Mitsubishi trans, Lexus!

>this giant tub of lard is what is considered good-looking

What's going on between the driver and rear doors?

That thing is literally an 80 series with a more accommodating cab. No one thinks it looks good, it's just damn good at what it does.

100 series
FTFY

It's a 105 you dingus. Which is a 100 series cab on an 80 series chassis.

>And its a bit silly comparing price against completely different years of manufacture regardless of when the model was designed.

The people comparing LCs to Monteros entirely do it because of price. LCs are awesome trucks, but frankly no one ITT is going to buy or could afford one new. I agree when people say LCs are better trucks compared to Monteros, but a Land Cruiser is not twice or three times as better as a Montero to justify paying twice the price for one.

Hell, I could get 2-3 92-00 Monteros for the price of a decent 80-Series Land Cruisers. 3-4 01-06 Monteros for one decent 100-Series Land Cruisers. Land Cruisers are better trucks stock but Monteros are so much cheaper you're pretty much paying for Toyota-Tax when you buy a Cruiser. I'd argue a 94-97 Montero SR is just as capable as a 80-Series LC.

The two things really working against them are

1. Lack of a brand name (tons of people shill for LCs gives them good resale/awareness and the people who usually own them take care of them. Monteros were forgotten in North America, a lot of people end up grouping them with stuff like Explorers for that reason). It means you also can't find them easily used and half the time you'll be checking one out in the ghetto when they come up for sale.

2. Mitsubishi Engines (timing belt every 60,000 miles on a interference motor, shitty valve stem seals that made them chug oil, butterfly and intake manifold runner screws that could work loose). If you take care of them they're usually good though. The DOHC 6G72s make almost the same hp as the Toyota V8s with way less fuel economy.

Its the other way around. Mitsubishi bought Aisin's (Toyota) transmission.

j40 the only one that matters

If you're comparing relevant model years I agree 100%... Which is also why you're talking to an user who owns two Monteros, both 4M4x manual turbo diesels.
Reason being the preferred comparable 1HD-T J80 (which are increasing in value these days) is worth literally 4 times as much as my 4M40 NL, and a similar story to a 1VD-FTV J200 which out prices my 4M41 NT buy 3-4 times as well.
>tl,dr; as long as relevant model year, I agree

A stock J80 will still out wheel a stock 2nd gen Monty though, although if the Montero is a later one fitted with the factory "Trutrack" style torsion LSD it brings it closer. And you'd have to have at least a 3.8L 6G75 before you get close to the Landcruiser's factory V8 performance. And then you run into the minor maintenance and longevity issues of the 6G7x V6 you mentioned.