What does Veeky Forums think of the Mitsubishi Eclipse?

I've see fifth gen eclipses show up fairly often cheap, and I am partial to the looks of them, just curious what people think of them.

Yeah I know mitsubishi isn't the best and lol FWD, but they are the last of the late 90's ""sporty"" jap cars I see around anymore with any frequency.

They're SHIT, get a civic SI or integra rsx

>fifth gen eclipses
wut. you mean third gens? i loved mine. slow as fuck and only lasted 8 months but man that thing was fun

>Fifth gen eclipse
First off there were only 4 generations of the Eclipse
Which model year is the one you're interested in? 99-03?

It's a Mitsubishi (which is very bad).
It's heavy as fuck.
It's slow as fuck.
It's ugly as fuck.
It's impractical as fuck.
It's fwd...

>it's Mitsubishi
Power train wise that's a good thing, paint tho ehhhhhh
>it's heavy as fuck
Not the 1st and 3rd gens
>slow as fuck
No
>ugly as fuck
Subjective, but wrong
>impractical
How so? It's a fucking 2 door coupe with a trunk
What the fuck do you expect?
>fwd
The autism is real folks

Yeah I was looking at 5th gen accords earlier so my brain got mixed up.

I meant third, I'm not gonna go buy one as a serious car, but I'd just like know what people think of them.

I know that muh Honda would be better, but I'm just interested in learning about them.

they are slow and heavy desu. at least the third gens

I personally think Mitsubishi fucked up when they went from the 2G to the 3G Eclipse, but they're pretty good cars, the 6G72 provides a bit of zip in the GT/S trim and the RS and GS 2.4 can swap heads with the turbo motor from the first and second gen eclipses, and then you can turn it and make good power
>3,000lbs
>heavy
Not for a V6 coupe, Accord V6 coupes are heavier

What's the handling on these like?

I really enjoy my RS, I put some cheap upper strut bars on it recently and I'm loving the way it handles. The worst part is probably how much they like to rust, assuming you have to deal with snow and salt where you live.

>It's ugly as fuck.
I like them more then 7th gen celica's, at least looks wise.

I love the looks of many Mitsubishi cars like the 3rd gen Eclipse you posted and the 3000GT but,
>Mitsubishi

*turbo it
Fucking autocorrect

Just something special about the looks, I don't know why but it just looks right. Now if they were built by toyota or honda.

meant for

You know the typical memes about FWD handling? you're looking at it.l

wrong one

How's the handling compared to other FWD cars?

I just told you.

It just looks like you're telling me that it has torque steer and it understeers but it's to my understanding that that's just FWD in general and you have to deal with that unless you're in a Honda Civic Type-R.
I want to know what it's like besides that.

>You have to deal with that unless you're in a Honda Civic Type-R.

Precisely, because the whole point i was trying to make is the eclipse is a FWD car that has nothing to rectify the handling issues of FWD. If you wanted a car to laugh at for egregious amounts of torque steer, you're looking at it. Why aren't you laughing yet?

its worse than the 2nd gen

got rekt by the RSX and Celica

and hell it skidpads worse than my 80s fwd car

they were neutered at the 3rd gen from a sports compact to a more comfortable "pretty" mature car

its a Galant with a bodykit

>I really enjoy my RS, I put some cheap upper strut bars on it recently and I'm loving the way it handles.
Does that fix the torque steer and understeer?

youd need an LSD for that
equal length axles would pretty much get rid of torque steer

No, but between that and having stripped ~50 pounds from the rear it's helped with understeer.

Pretty agile, even better with coilovers or springs/shocks
Don't even know how he'd get torque steer with a stock 4G64 SOHC

It's a Mitsubishi accord coupe

Which means it's shittier in every single performance metric, has none of the Jap reliability, and it's not a sports car.

3.8 MIVEC turbo awd. The 3rd gens have a ton of potential if you put money into them. Stock is decent. Just add some good sway bars and it's solid. Had it lowered an inch and a half and cornered really flat. Really wiiiide turning radius though.

Ok hold on
>AWD
is it automatic? I know you can do the Endeavor AWD but it's auto only
If manual, what system did you use?
I fucking love your Eclipse, I'd do it the same way you did because the 6G75 MIVEC is a bad ass motor

they're girl cars

Hey OP I have a 3rd gen, 2004 RS. I've had it since I was 16 and I fucking love it.

Don't listen to what these faggots are telling you, mine is stock and it's not that slow at all. It's a really fun drive, and most of the power for me kicks in around 2400 rpm in second gear and it's massive. Mine is manual btw. I'm getting a new car soon, but I'll never sell my 3G and i'm going to put some money into it when I can afford to do so and fix it up a little.

It's a great starter car, and if you fall in love with it, it's gonna be also a great finisher car

lol, too bad you'll always look like someone's bottom bitch driving it

All the 6g series motors aside from the DOHC 72 in the 3000gt will pretty much bolt in and plug and play. And yeah the Endeavor, Magna, Galant and Diamante all work around the same front subframe.

Evo 8 bell housing with custom machined adapter to mate to the V6 block with Evo 6 transfer case, Evo8 diff (gsx parts tend to be cheaper) weld in a gsx floor pan and fuel cell for the center shaft. Custom driveshafts.

Everyone makes crazy power out of the 4g63 but I really enjoy Mitsubishi's V6. RIPP makes some decent superchargers for the 6g7* as well.

I like DSM's but the 3g, GTO and FTO have always really done it for me.

Also if no one else heard yet, Mitsubishi showed a teaser image for a new "e-evolution" that they'll show late October. Looks far more promising than the Eclipse Cross bullshit.

Do you know if you can engine swap any of the 6G mitsubishi series engines into the 04 3G RS? The 2004 RS has a 4G64 engine, i wanna know what engine will fit into that car which can provide a significant upgrade over its current engine

I was gonna start insulting you, but then I realized you're probably a basement dwelling neckbeard without a cat.

....You can dump that amount of money into ANY car and it'll be a monster.

>> i'm going to put some money into it when I can afford to do so and fix it up a little

That's the most mexican thing I've heard all day and latino's make up 75% of my neighborhood. Please do not waste your money - everyone feels like that about the first non-corolla/domestic shitpile they own, then they finally get the chance to drive a better car and realize all the shittiness there was in their older car.

If you're going to put money into anything, save up, buy a salvage or used FR-S/BRZ when they get even cheaper, then add some FI and laugh your way around 99% of other cars on the road.

>when they get even cheaper
What are you supposed to do when you need a car?

>ur a nekbear
the surest sign you've made someone's ass hurt

Is yours manual? Honestly I would stick with the 4G64, you can Google "4G64 dohc swap" and you'll find you can put the 4G63T head from pretty much any non-mivec engine.
You'll also find that the turbo manifold, and other parts from the 4G63T will work with it as well
A built 4G64 DOHC turbo can make serious fucking power

Wait, so you used an EVO 8 trans? Wouldn't the trans from a DSM been a better choice? I've heard EVO8 trannies can be fragile.
I figured you had to go with the rear subframe from a DSM, but you went with a fuel cell? Do you know if a 2G gas tank would fit or any other? I personally don't like exposed fuel tanks in the trunk

I like the rear. That's about it.

2 door mitsubihi lancer

>2 Door 8G Galant
Fix'd

Yeah it's a manny. Is it worth it to also change the transmission and clutch, get coilovers and a new mani?

Tranny is fine unless you want to go AWD, then that's whole other beast
Clutch definitely, especially if you plan on adding power
Coilovers would help the handling if they're dialed in right, but like mentioned earlier good sway bars go a long way
Manifold-which one? If you're talking exhaust the only manifold I would recommend would be the turbo manifold and boost it, intake manifold I would search the forums

Ok i don't really think i'll go for AWD, i'll stick with FWD.

Should I also get a new catback or turboback exhaust system?

kinda shit cars but kinda okay cars
you can do a lot worse.

I got given a 03 Eclipse GS 5spd for my first car in 2008 by my mom&dad (spoiled w/e yeah).

I did a bunch of suspension stuff originally after learning there wasnt much popular power upgrades for them. I did autocross with it it was actually pretty good for just some aftermarket sway/roll bars, springs, adjustable shocks, and control arms.

Then in my last semester of high school my auto shop class where we had access to a couple lifts and welding shit motivated me to undertake a turbo build. I went very simple. DSM exhaust manifold, kept 3g maf, evo 560cc injectors, dsm blow off valve, DSM stock 14b with internal wastegate. I cut up and modded a DSM DNP 2.5" downpipe then just used a $120 ebay catback exhaust but with a thrush 3" muffler from advance auto that didn't have the fart can look and was a bit quieter. Used a walbro 190 fuel pump. Stock FPR never gave me an issue. Picked up a used PLX wideband and a glowshift boost gauge. I picked up cheap a used stock srt4 intercooler. Bought $50 of intercooler piping on ebay and made it work. $100 for an Apexi SAFC (there are much better options , Iwas a dumb poor high school kid). Had maybe $150 in other various gaskets/fluids/etc/hardware.

All in all I had about $600 in that turbo setup. So many of my parts were sourced directly from a 91 turbo plymouth laser in the junkyard.

15psi on stock motor it ran 13.3@105mph for a best. Could of ran a 12.9 probably if i ever put a good tire on it but it never had anything beside some worn out BFG KDW Drag radials i got used that were dryrotted a bit.

I drove that car turbo'd from 2010-2014 when it finally popped the headgasket. But I put almost 100k miles on it in the 6 years I drove it. Had 204k miles on the original motor and trans. Still sitting in the weeds in my parents yard.

I can't say I'd really recommend one, but I did love mine and it was a super fun car for fairly cheap.

Depends on what power you want to make, if you go turbo, start with sourcing a 4G63 turbo head and Google the parts list, you're going to have to add shit to make it work
Once that's done then you can start talking turbo manifolds, turbos, fuel, standalone ecu's, etc
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT WASTING YOUR MONEY ON EXHAUST, INTAKE, ETC UNTIL YOUVE DONE THE HEAD SWAP
And while you're getting that done, take it to a machine shop and get the head ported and polished and some decent cams
Building the engine with the SOHC stock head is a waste

Nice preop cuckmobile

HA HA HA
VERY FUNNY FONZIE

Shit interior
Shit engine
Shit reliability
Shit to work on
Drives like a piggy
Get something else

It takes too much work to fit everything right. If you want a 4cyl build, buy an RS. If you want a 6cyl build, buy a GT. But this user is right swap out for the 63T heads.

Everything takes money. It's the fact that over the years the Mitsubishi community came up with a way to use OEM parts to build something that has potential. Something that makes the abortion of all Eclipses incredibly interesting and brings performance to the usual pigfat.

>bottom bitch
Redguard detected. Surely if you meant to insult you wouldn't want to reference being the best whore of the group.

No you're right I didn't mean it like it was some collapsable bag or something else it is the 2g gsx fuel tank. Held on by straps and all.

Going AWD takes a lot of time and fabrication and work with machining companies. Like I said just bolt in a 6g74, 6g75 or 75 MIVEC and you'll see significant power gains. Lighten the car and it has pretty strong pulls.

If you go 4banger do as much as you can based on the 4g63. It's a really strong engine with an incredible amount of aftermarket support and makes great power. No matter what you do though, get a tune.

Doesn't look like Frostina's Corvette to me.

This. I had a 03 or 04 GT back in the day. It was a terrible car. Mine had an Injen intake, 5zigen Fireball exhaust, Megan coilovers, strut bars blah blah. STILL A TERRIBLE CAR.

Much better choices out there for the same money. I've also owned a 06 Civic SI and my current DD is a 05 Accord coupe V6 6 speed. The Honda's are way better built cars and way more fun to drive. In the FWD segment I've also driven buddies Celicas, Tiburons, TC's etc... I would take ANY of those over an Eclipse.

Awful handling, poor power, dually like turning radius, hard plastic everywhere that rattles, stupid unreliable, I could go on...

Pros - the V6 sounded decent with the exhaust and I got lots of attention from trashy girls. So there's that. But still, NOPE NOPE NOPE

people can hate all they want but they arent bad cars. can be very fun if you dont sperg out like most Otist around here.

take it for what it is and enioy it m8