Make the Celica great again

The Celica might be making a return . What does Toyota need to do to make it great again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7TFdATLqETU
chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1980-toyota-celica-hatchback/6317066063.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IDC I just want it to have stick as an option.

Two doors, optional AWD and a liftback hatch.

RWD based and a turbo option too

this

its gonna be a crossover

Cheap, small, FWD.

Fastback Miata

Hoping its either this or another BMW re-skin with auto-only. the memes would be delicious.

>AWD
>Turbo
>Manual

That's all Toyota needs to do, but they won't. It will be a FWD with a 6k rpm redline engine and a grotesque body kit.

The MR2 might be coming back as well as Toyotas third sports car. If the Celica does make a comeback It will probably be a 3 door or 5 door AWD hot hatch.

So why didn't you buy a TC?

Don't change a thing. Make it a FWD/AWD, liftback with an optional turbo.

I would think keeping it cheap and modest enough to get first-time buyers in to it
>cheap
>enough go for teenage grins
>toyota reliability
>toyota safety
>parents happy to see little timmy in a Celica
>orient the interior toward the gaget-oriented youth so it makes sense to them
>but don't make it all ricey and ridiculous so it can pass as a grown-up car

Again....

What about the TC?

Scion is like somebody thought we should try what was funky-fresh cool about the 90s. An idea worth trying but notice:
>so it can pass as a grown-up car

So, a BRZFRSGT86?

Well the 86 is a RWD platform and can't be anything else almost without being redesigned from scratch. So, how does the Celica compete? It has to be something different.

Let the Celica handle the FWD-oriented side of things. And let it fill the gap of being a cheap sensible but fun car while the 86 maintains the edge of being a cheap not-sensible sports car.

So just as bland and boring as every Celica before it?

Nah, something a little bit more. Something a little bit different. Is it going to beat a Civic or a Jetta on paper? Maybe? Maybe not? But make it speak to the driver in a language other than
>hey look we gave it outlandish styling :D
>and we're the fresh new incubator sub-brand :D
>listen to our techno music :D

Why would Toyota want to have 3 sports cars in their line-up? There's not a whole lot of market demand nor variation in that category to warrant multiple chassis.

RWD and liftback is all I ask for. Liftbacks need to make a comeback.

AWD optional Turbo

Meet the Ferrari celica

>THIS

any Toyota Veeky Forums devs reading this
Just focus on this, DON'T make another fucking TC we just want a fastback coupe that's stick and peppy, with optional AWD and have you faggles race them in WRC so we know you give a shit

because it chugs oil like a sandnigger and it's slow as shit.

make in the vein of the 7th gen
light weight
fwd
hi revving
sport compact

awd is pigfat garbage and needs to stay go

>cars will never look this good again
i want off this ride

easy
modern version of celica gt-four
has to have power unlike that toyobaru abortion

I wonder if in 100yrs cars will eventually go back into being sleek and angular not pigfat boats..

These are the things I want to live 4ever for..

I just saw this on CL yesterday.

It's also automatic.

why would cars are going to regress in design and become objectively worse

310 hp at least
AWD
That's for the top model, a lower model could be 220 and FWD.

Why would anyone want something so bad to comeback?
Normal celicas are incredibly bad, GT versions are a joke
Only all-trac is worth anything, but you are better off with buying other shit like subaru

cuckold: the post

Being a retard: the post
Atleast they knew how bad last gen was and decided to put an end to it

Learn from Mitsubishis mistake:
>keep it light.
>offer AWD and Turbo options.
>Don't bring it back as a crossover.

>again
made my day

Only first gen 2005-2010 models do that. 2011-2016 models are a whole new story.

Model it after the 1st, 4th and 5th gen celica's, make it light, peppy engine and good handling, that's it, it'd be nice if it was AWD or RWD but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen

Also NO FUCKING HYBRID BULLSHIT GOD FUCKING DAMN IT I WANNA BE ABLE TO WORK ON MY FUCKING CAR WITHOUT FRYING MYSELF YOU FUCKING NIGGER BITCH CUNT FAGGOT TOYOTA

>Criteria for the perfect comeback
Cannot look bloated like the tC was
Must be under 3000lb, preferably 2600lb (for the fwd version at least)
The FWD model must be under 26k MSRP
There must be an AWD option available with turbo that will cost more money
Must have manual transmission and an automatic model with paddleshifters to appease certain buyers
Must rev to at least 6500rpm
Car must have a sleek profile, along the lines of the GT86

>Keep on dreaming features
incorporating pop up lights in some way
RWD as standard with AWD as option

GT86 has no gadgets on it

Forgot to add in that it should be manual, also round that redline up to at least 7000, the 5th and 6th gen GT/GTS (SX in Australia and Japan) revved to 6900

Also yeah, pop ups in some way'd be cool, and if it's gonna have a RWD based AWD make it rear biased like a Skyline GTR

3SGE in 4th and 5th gen GTs was god-tier you benchracing mouthbreather.

>tfw no proper performance 4WD turbo Celica in 30 years
>tfw surviving GT-Fours are the price of a new car

5th gen GT/GTS (SX for Aussies and Japs) had the 5sfe, so did the 6th gen

5th gen GT in the UK had the 3SGE. So did the 4th and 6th.

Nice, the ones here in Australia had the 5SFE, not a bad engine by any means though, just a little underpowered, you can even bolt a 3SGE head right on and get an instant power boost plus you get a little extra torque from the engine having 0.2L more displacement since they have the same sort of block as the 3SGE, there are a few supporting mods you have to do though like the ECU, wiring loom and a couple other bits I think

Where are you from? Gt-fours are still really cheap here in the UK, my ST205 only cost just under £3k. ST185s are even cheaper.

smol
fwd with awd high trims
4 banger with tarbo high end
clean design
hatch
cheap for base
manuel option

Design always loops around. Look at fucking fashion, shit goes in and out of fashion. Same thing with home decor and all that shit. Wallpaper came in and went back out and I bet it'll come back in again.

We stagnated in the early 2000s because of the new saftey regulations and it killed car design for a bit. Now we are seeing designers that have learned whow to work with what they've got, and the past 5 years has produced some gorgeous cars again.

My guess is that it will be another 20 years until we loop back around to "boxy" again.

Anyways, like most anons have said:
>Manual option
>Coupe
>Liftback/fastback
>True AWD option (no Haldex shit, I'm fine with base models being FWD)
>Turbocharged engine option
>Decent NA high reving engine option
>GT4 spec model with aero, suspension, wheels, and engine tweaks.
>Hood vent and wing and widebody on the GT4

But let's be honest, Toyota said the GT86 is the spiritual successor to the Celica. And we all know the BMW/Toyota Supra that's coming.
Toyota said they're bringing back the Holy Trinity of Sports cars, so what are we still missing?

There's an MR2 coming boys. I don't know when. But it's coming. And it's going to go one of two ways, it's either going to be a roadster like the ZZW30, or it's going to be a supercar competitor like the SW20 Turbo.

>Toyota said the GT86 is the spiritual successor to the Celica.
no. toyota said the GT86 is the spiritual successor to the ae86 Corolla. Big difference.

Not at all.
The AE86 was a RWD economy car with a peppy engine.
The Celica was always a cheap underpowered but fun sports car for the masses.
The GT86 is not an economy car and it doesn't have a peppy engine. It fits much more to the Celica line than the Corolla line.

Toyota even stated that they named the GT86 after the AE86 but that the GT86 is the spiritual successor to the Celica in the new Holy Trinity.

>The AE86 was a RWD economy car with a peppy engine.
Toyota HEAVILY advertised the 86 as a return of the ae86. Why the fuck do you think they NAMED the car the 86?
youtube.com/watch?v=7TFdATLqETU

Is it just me or does the cilica look like a supra

Bait/10 i responded
Its almost october. Go back to school summerfag.

I fucking know, that's why I literally said that in my post. They used it as a selling point to all the kiddies that hey look we made a drift car for you guis again!

The car is a cheap fun (not fast) sports car. That's exactly what the Celica has ALWAYS been. Toyota said the GT86 is the successor to the Celica lineup. It is filling the spot where the Celica was. It can be a "spiritual successor" to both the AE86 and Celica.

But whether you like it or not, it quite literally IS THE SUCCESSOR TO THE CELICA. IT REPLACED THE CELICA IN TOYOTAS LINEUP. TOYOTA IS NOT BRINGING BACK THE CELICA BECAUSE OF THE GT86.

Daily reminder at one time Toyota had 5 sports cars in their American lineup, the Paseo, the Celica, the MR2, the Lexus SC and the Supra, before the onslaught of the crossover/SUV craze

According the Toyota, the GT86 is a modern reinterpretation of 3 classic Toyotas.
The engine layout is a throwback to the Toyota Sports 800, the first ever Toyota Sportscare, which used a flat 4 cylinder engine.
The styling is a throwback to the Toyota 2000GT, the sportscar/supercar that put the world on notice that Japan could compete.
And the chassis was tuned to emulate the balance found in the AE86 Corolla.

Either way,
The "Holy Trinity of Sports Cars" we will have from Toyota will be:
>GT86
>New Supra
>New MR2

If Toyota does bring the Celica back, it won't be for another 10 years as the MR2 is expect to come in ~5 years I think?

They don't need it for rally as everyone is using hatches and the Yaris has been the Toyota rally car for a few years now.

The land of "These imports are bad, so buy our domestic 150 HP 5L V8s"

It's not. Toyota just renewed their parent or moniker w/e, simply just to keep the name

FWD with AWD option, 10k+ RPM turbo 4, fastback, cheap, manual, no fucking hybrid bullshit

>Design always loops around. Look at fucking fashion, shit goes in and out of fashion. Same thing with home decor and all that shit.

fashion and interior design isnt car design dipshit

you dont have to design either for crash safety and aerodynamics

no good car designer is going to make a fucking 70s or 80s style shitbox with a shitty drag coefficient

when people do try to do retro designs we get garbage like the S197 and PT Cruiser

Is this even a certainty in the North American market? I have trouble finding even speculative articles of note that say Toyota is doing another MR2. The supra is the only one with reasonable certainty since there are photos of that camo prototoype that match the 2015 concept

>no good car designer is going to make a fucking 70s or 80s style shitbox with a shitty drag coefficient

concepts dont mean much

I actually wouldn't be opposed to a 2-series based Celica.

Minor correction, but the 800 used a flat 2.

It's all speculation, but everything Toyota has said points to a new MR2. They want a middle tier sports car that can fit inbetween the GT86 and Supra.

Design is design bud.
Look at the Challenger. Obviously it's not done a full turn around but it's coming back to what it had been.
Aerodynamics have progressed far enough that we can create mostly boxy designs and still have a decent drag coefficient. Aerodynamics has a lot more to it than flat vs round.
Also we are getting better at making safe cars which is why cars are getting better looking again after the terrible designs of the early 2000s. Designers are able to do more and more. Look at the sharp edges on cars like the new Ford GT. The new mustangs are getting sharper edges, we are already heading back to more boxy shapes.

>Look at the sharp edges on cars like the new Ford GT. The new mustangs are getting sharper edges, we are already heading back to more boxy shapes.

if you think those are boxy you probably think a Miata is only slighty round

If you don't see sharp edges here then you're crazy.

sharp edges doesnt make a car boxy

GT is just generic supercar design

What's going on in this picture? Car is clearly in violent motion, hence the weight shift towards the passenger side and the wheels in motion. But the car is standing on what appears to be a ramp, on which it can't get much speed.

There's this weird thing called staging, and photo editing.

You shut your faggot mouth.

They absolutely help. Look how fucking sharp the front end of the Ford GT is. That's just showing how designers are still figuring out how to make things look good even with crazy pedestrian saftey laws.

We aren't going to see a Volvo 240 again, which is a good thing. But we will see cars that are more angular and sloped. Supercars are already starting this trend, and it will trickle down to consumer cars.

Looks at how much sharper and boxier the Chiron looks when compared to the old Veyron. This is a great example of how car design is progressing.

You forgot the st162/165 4th gen Celica

>That's just showing how designers are still figuring out how to make things look good even with crazy pedestrian saftey laws.

no it doesnt

cars have been looking good and shit since forever and honestly cars are at a design low point not seen since the 80s now

Chiron doesnt look boxy at all either its just flatter and 10x uglier

Chiron is barely any better aerodynamically either

because theyd be the coolest company that way.

The fuck it doesn't. It has drive by wire, 18 kinds of traction control to turn on and off, automatic headlights, cruise control, mine has heated seats no key and a button you can push for OMG PLS DEFOG THIS SHIT WTF and it has a gigantic horrible touch screen thing that makes you hate the radio more than you ever did before.

Oh an apparently it has some magic tire pressure sensor thing, which I only discovered after putting my own wheels on it. It's stuffed with gadgets, although to be fair most of them aren't very annoying and some of them grow on you over time :|

It's all about image. No one gets excited to buy a Toyota. Toyotas are appliances. Toyota wants to make people excited to buy their cars again.

don't forget the quad headlights

Honestly, I'd prefer they bring sexy popups back

This most likely.

The Celica, as much as I would like to see it back, is too similar to the GT86/AE86 and it was back in the 80's when you could buy both cars new.

The Holy Trinity will be MR2, GT86 and Supra. Each one brings something different to the table. The Supra is the Godzilla-mobile of the 3, the GT86 is the lightweight RWD drift-missile for the youngins and the MR2 is the affordable mid-engine pocket rocket that would compete with the Alfa 4C, the Lotus offering whatever that is and the Porsche Cayman, but it'll be cheaper than all 3 and perform as well.

I would like to see a new MR2 with the Camry V6, that engine has a lot of potential for being in an alphabet car

The FRS has a knob on the dash you can fiddle with to adjust the vertical angle of the the headlights (protip: do this at red lights while staring down the guy in the left turning lane -- if he looks at you while turning you've won the game)

So I think sexy popups is a reasonably requirement, and it would help differentiate the model line.

The GT86 has the same market position as the Celica.

No new Celica.

It basicly is a Celica. A cheap poorfag sports coupe. They just switched back to rwd.

Make it like the integra R, light, fwd, and high revving

chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/1980-toyota-celica-hatchback/6317066063.html

Man, imagine if they managed to put out something with the same lines as that?

I think it's not too much to ask. Just consider the GT86/BRZ. It's not a pin-up centerfold but it really does make people IRL stop and look at it because it has lines.

popups are retarded and are not coming back

no company is wasting money on something that objectively shit

thats actually true now that I think about it

it looks like an ancient shitbox and no one would buy it

sure people will look at it because its ugly as hell

Would you buy it for 5k user though? I'd go 2k tops.

>it looks like an ancient shitbox and no one would buy it
They'd have to update it anyway to sell to the modern market. I'm just talking about the underlying lines.

Shit works when you have the right underlying lines down. Shit doesn't work when you have some box or soap bar and then stick a lot of "design cues" all over it to recreate a faulty memory.

I'm not the Celica expert I'd need to be to advise you on the exactitudes of that, but $5k is too much unless you JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT. Even $2k seems like a bit of a stretch unless there's nothing else that will tickle your wiggly bits the same way.

just bring back the styling of the first gen Celica. that mini-muscle car look was sexy af. while the R series engines were reliable little workhorses, they sucked ass in a sports car platform.

What if the new Celica will be based on the BMW 2 series? (the RWD euro one, not the coming FWD US/China version)

cute af

I don't know how they could quite pull that off without looking retarded, but maybe there's still a visionary artist left in the world who is actually worth his art degree.

if Nissan can do it with the 510

that concept has been dead for years tho unfortunately

even if it did come out it was going to have cvt and like 90 hp

>that huge ass red shoop da woop lip

They really know their customer group