Are there any racing series in the world that still use manual H-pattern gearboxes...

Are there any racing series in the world that still use manual H-pattern gearboxes, or is racing 100% sequential paddles now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ntndz-tSjPM
youtube.com/watch?v=mrXlE5FIVP8
youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4
youtube.com/watch?v=5Rsz4yW53aM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty sure that classic-car racing series in Ausland who's name i forgot uses standard Manual.

NASCAR uses H pattern

Spec Anything.

? Does classic racing even really count in this thread? Dead ass like until the early 90s like 99% of racing was H pattern racing and it wasnt until the mid 90s that H patterns were phased out of f1 and that was basically it sans maybe like le mans and bikes
So like every historic racing searies that uses cars before 21st century is H pattern

Anything aside from Spec and NASCAR? NASCAR is 95% top gear anyway. What about V8 Supercars?

Supercars has sequential
Fuck me I think everyone but Spec and NASCAR and SCCA and amateur and shit is sequential

Some hillclimb cars still use a H pattern.

youtube.com/watch?v=ntndz-tSjPM

it's kinda sad, less and less human interaction each day

touring car masters

trans-am series
svra vintage stuff of course

Just saw these at the Glen, had no idea.

H-pattern boxes began to peter out in professional intertnational- and national-level racing at the turn of the century. By the end of the decade, there weren't any major racing series that still used H-pattern transmissions unless it was specifically mandated. You can still see those types of gearboxes being used in semi-pro and amateur level racing due to their technical regulations still being very open.

i was there too, thats why they popped in my head

did you see strollerdoggo?

Touring car masters?
youtube.com/watch?v=mrXlE5FIVP8

H patterns shift slower. No reason to use them except ITS HOW WE DONE IT IN THE GOOD OL DAYS.

It's only a matter of time before europeans finally become autofags and manufacturers start offering sequentials on their sports cars instead of the "standard gearbox" because there are no longer any europoors to be confused by their crunch stick being replaced by clicky pole.

Improved Production in Australia

They have been banned like CVTs in F1 for giving a competitive advantage.

>H patterns shift slower
Actually, they don't. Hollinger 6 speeds for example come in both H pattern and sequential pattern options, and shift speed between them is identical. The biggest advantage with the sequential is the decreased likelihood of stuffing a gear change.

Supercars are sequential but require clutch and rev match for downshifts

This.
youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4

BMW stuck with H-patterns in professional motorsport for a while, in the E46 M3 sportscars and the 320si touring cars used them until they disappeared from the national series' sometime around 2012-2013.
The M3 GT4 uses an H-pattern as well, but it's currently getting replaced by the M4.

Most production based racecars (especially in GT4) are just using the stock auto or double clutch boxes. Easy to drive, hard to break by amateurs, not much slower than manuals or full on sequential racing trannies and low on maintenance

No they dont need a clutch. Same with nascar.
For downshifts, most drivers prefer to use the clutch to match the revs better while using the heel and toe technique.
Fabian Coulthard and Greg Murphy are two left foot brakers who do not use the clutch, essentially driving the car like a go-kart.
Most drivers are not comfortable enough to do whole races with left foot brake downshifts, so they use heel and to rev mtach while braking with their right foot.

Sorry for the mistakes. I'm phoneposting.

Wait, so the Supercars have a clutch pedal with a sequential gearbox? Am I reading this correctly?

>PCars2 has M3 GT4
Shit, I know what I'm driving now

I don't pay much attention to supercars but they probably don't have a clutch pedal very often and just let the computer control it

you have to start from a stop somehow...

That's what I was thinking, it's quite rare to find a clutch with a sequential

sequential raving transmissions are unlike auto trannies on roadcars. You still need to use the clutch to get going because there is no torque converter.

a sequential racing tranny is essentially a manual with all gears in a row (simply put) and you just slam it from one gear into the next

>ITS HOW WE DONE IT IN THE GOOD OL DAYS.
>implying this isn't a perfectly good reason

Yes. V8SC cars have clutches. Just like GT3, GTE, DTM, SuperGT, LMP2, LMP1, WRC, WTCC, BTCC and Formula 1 has.
Well, in F1 the clutch is on the steering wheel, and there are two of them. Here's a neat video of how F1 cars start: youtube.com/watch?v=5Rsz4yW53aM

The M3, 2016 Mustang GT, Boss 302R, and GT86 cars in GT4 are all H-patterns instead of sequential.

So are these setups single clutch sequential or dual clutch?

Sequential are single brah. Just look up how a motorcycle trans works.

lots of series have a clutch pedals with sequential transmissions. The clutch is just meant to get the car going. It's really meant to be used during the actual racing. This is one of the main reasons why you see cars stall after spinning on the track or driving out of their pit stop or stall on the starting grid. This is part of the reason why some series just go with a rolling start since it minimizes the dangers of a car stalling during a standing start.