Mazda 3 or VW Golf

I want a small new-ish or new hatch that doesn't cost much and I've narrowed my choices down to a Mazda 3 and VW Golf. I'd rather do without any of the gadgets and I want the base models instead. The GTI and 2.5L Mazda are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Which is better at:

reliability
driving dynamics
practicality

?

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=466434525
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get a used 2013 Focus instead. Manual transmission of course. It has bluetooth, cruise, all the modern gadgetry you want. It can be had for around $13k without too many miles.

The only real downside are the rear drum brakes, but unless you're tracking the car nobody cares.

Out of those 2 Mazda 3 hands down.

VWs are massive pieces of shit

Here's one for 9.5k
autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=466434525

it even has heated seats!

neither. get a civic for 3k.

>has bluetooth, cruise, all the modern gadgetry you want.

>I'd rather do without any of the gadgets

also

>DRUM BRAKES
>2017

You're not making much of a case here considering both a 2014 Golf and a Mazda can be bought for the same price in with cruise control and shit. Neither of those have drum fucking brakes either. Does the Focus drive better or is it more reliable?

>VWs are massive pieces of shit

Its 2017 friend, that meme is long gone.

EA888 engines are some of the most reliable turbo engines in existence. Wards best engine award too.

Maz3 all the way. Comfy shifter and surprisingly good steering for it being electric. Havn't driven the Golf.

>is it more reliable
no, its a piece of shit ford

1. Avoid VWs at any cost.

2. The Skyactiv-G Mazda 3 is not quite fast but unbelievably agile and fun.
I tried all the engine options offered for the 3 including the range topping torque bursting 2.2 turbo diesel but I think that the 1.5 gasoline are surprisingly the best after all, considering the car's core characteristics and overall balance.

Also I'd like to add the driving position and pedal layout are far nicer in the mazda than the VW.
Especially the gas pedal of the 3 was so easy to control and felt sturdy.

>reliability
Golf + Mazda 3 Ties
>driving dynamics
Golf
>practicality
Golf - More cargo space
>price
Golf

So, Golf wins.

I fucking hate German cars and can say that the Golf is better in every way. People like to talk up Mazda as this great sporty car company but they're a one-trick pony. The Golf is a better designed, more comfortable and more capable car.

>>reliability
>Golf
Fixd.

>JD Power

>reliability
>driving dynamics
Get one year old 1 series.

>triggered by the fact

Test drive each and pick the one you prefer most. They both are pretty competitive.

>The only real downside are the rear drum brakes, but unless you're tracking the car nobody cares.
>Two thousand
>and
>Thirteen
>DRUM
>FUCKING
>BRAKES

I KNEW FORD FAGS WERE ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC BUT THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Have you considered the civic hatch OP? Comes with the turbo stock, and its not too gadgety. Can be had for less than 20k new, I bought one back in march and I love it.

tbf the Corolla still has drums too

Mazda 3. At least in Germany, you get a lot of extras with the Mazda whereas you need to pay for every extra for the VW. When I compared the 2 cars, the mazda 3 with 120hp vs the Golf with 125hp the mazda with the same extras came out 4k€ cheaper. And is more reliable.

>base model
Just get an older and better car for the same price

>Havn't driven the Golf.

Then why are you posting your opinion?

>reliability
>BMW

>let me just change the criteria of what you want

Mazda 3 winner

VW Golf has a 5 speed manual. GTI has six speed and Mazda3 has six speed manuals. What made them go with a 5 speed?