What engine do you need at minimum to safely merge onto the highway?

What engine do you need at minimum to safely merge onto the highway?

Other urls found in this thread:

camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/home/locations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1 cylinder.

even an econobox can merge safely, people are just scared to rev them and moerge into 110km/h traffic at 80km/h because "oooo scurry"

80cc

You box trucks and semis merging every day and they are pretty fucking slow

To answer this question you need to know how long on-ramps are, how fast the traffic is going and how heavy your car is.
Here in the Netherlands we have on-ramps that last a mile so even a 3 cylinder pigfat van towing a 3 axle trailer can get to a 100 kmph (60) before the end of it.
In Germany the ramps are about the length of a niggerdick so you'll need some more power. (on-ramps do have right of way though so 'need' is relative)

You don't need anything. People merged onto the highways just fine in the 70s and 80s, a time when you could brag about having a 0-60 time that was less than 15 seconds.

I've seen a 2CV doing just fine on the 407 which is the toll highway in Ontario where everyone speeds like its an autobahn

Having driven an old 30hp offroader on the motorway I'd say that's about the lower limit of an engine I'd want to use in a vehicle like that. You just need to know how to drive it and have more awareness than you would in a 450hp saloon.

I can merge onto the Autobahn just fine with my 60HP 3-cyl econoshitbox.
Pick your merge window *ahead of time* and use the entire on-ramp lane.
The guy in front of me that has a powerful car but is too scared to actually accelerate is much more of a problem.

Waar woon je pik.

V12, fucking camrys getting ran over by semis on the regular

>on-ramps do have right of way though so 'need' is relative
No they do not. (Source: §18 Abs. 3 StVO).

Anything really, first lane is always slow because of trucks.

As long it can get to 90km/h it's ok.

>be dutch
>bald-at-11 van driver pays 90% of his yearly salary to keep the van on the road

Depends on the mass and aerodynamic characteristics of the car

500cc two cyllinder

>merging on to the highway
>safely
lel most people don't even know how to merge at all

Wringing out my old gas crisis econobox on the LIE and in NYC was just fine. It's all about knowing how to make your way in without being an asshole.

Have no issues merging on a 250cc dirt bike with 17hp... and it tops out at like 130kmh downhill.

V8

That would be a old "big" 50 cm3 from the 70s.
(50 cm3, no limits in power or speed)
It gets you to a semi trucks highway speed and a little faster in a decent time.

pic related, a old 50 cm3 from that class

You can merge with any thing you just have to try and it depends on weight and power how nicely you can merge. Even in 200hp shitboxes I've never had a problem merging faster than traffic.

That's a dodge so that's not a v8.

>200hp
>shitbox
nigga

I gots me 200hp now and when I get nervous I wind up merging in to one of the holes I let pass because I didn't want to be rude.

It's really not bad unless you get stuck behind someone trying to merge at 40mph.

Nah the best is when the person in front of you COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP AND TURNS ON THEIR SIGNAL like DUDE you're gonna DIE

I did that with 75HP. 200HP is like playing dukes of hazard around the foolios while the whole game is on pause.

>75 hp
I merge with 68 PS.
Sometimes I need ro rev it a bit when there is a short uphill onramp.

The issue is that most people are retards and don´t use the whole ramp for acceleration while staying in gear 4-6.
They travel at low speed onto the ramp, wait untill the lane is free and then accelerate.
To do it with a verry bad power weight ratio, like a overloaded 68 hp shitbox with a 500 kg trailer, you leave the corner fast in 2nd gear, floor it on the whole ramp and shift in 3rd when hitting the rev limiter.

This is how the problem came into existance:
>fuel is expensive
Driving school:
>shift early to save fuel
Driving student:
>ok
Later after owning licence for some time:
>car accelerates slow, need more torque down low
Goes to dealership:
>huge turbodiesel with much low end torque and no revs
>needs more fuel than with conventional engine

Normies would drive a ~1000 hp engine like pic related and think it is slow since they would never rev it even close to its powerband (10k+).

Man they fucking put stop signs at the end of some of the on ramps I use
>fat angry old catlady woman
>ugly shitbox
>won't use more than 1/3 throttle or else she'll spin out and die
>stop sign
>wait for an hour because you can't merge on to a highway from a stop like that
>texts on cellphone, makes tweets and facebooks about how much the traffic sucks
Why can't we have nice things?

There should be a part in driving school where you have to drive performance focused.

Is this a joke or what? My 4 banger shitbox can go faster than I can really legally drive it. I mean it doesn't accelerate super fast but just put it in low gear and you merge fine.

Is this something people actually struggle with?

In the olden days they even had these cool tires where the instructor would tell you get up to speedn and then at an unpredictable time he'd hit the button to rapidly deflate one of the tires.

This was to teach you how to react in case a tire blew out. Now bitches complain that they failed the test because the can't park or whatever. Disgraceferu.

>can not park
I can live with other drivers beeing bad at parking, but at least they should be able to drive.

Things I think should be mandatory in driving school:

>overtaking correctly with bad power/weight ratio
>onramp acceleration
>fast accelleration
>downshifts
>handling a car close to its limits
>high speed driving at a minimum of 125 mph/200 km/h
>handling a car when something goes wrong
>fluid changes

And all of that with no electronic nannies, power steering, brake boosters or synchronised gearboxes.

>no synchronized gearboxes
What balkan shithole do you live in m8?

not for basic driver's ed, but we still have those kind of courses around with cars rigged to lock their tires (or similar) on command typically to learn how to regrain control after losing it on icy conditions

but it's not like people driving in winter areas even need to learn that (shouldn't be driving so fast on suspect roads in the first place)

Germany
The reason for that is that you have to learn how to downshift properly, with modern synchrmeshes, you can shift from 6th to 1st without throttle or force.
So you need either verry bad synchros or a unsynchronised gearbox to learn it.

8.0L W12 Quad turbo

>Germany
top kek I remember my parents doing backflips of joy when they got their first NAZIWAGON because it came with synchromesh and was so easy to shift.

That was before the Hitlarian White Supremicist Anti-Semetic invention of Fahrvergnügen.

its about the power to weight ratio. my X90 and Fiero can merge fine with 90hp but my Olds needs its 200hp.

also gear ratios are important. X90s have a 4.6:1 ratio which means acceleration is faster but top speed is severely limited.

but my olds has a 2.84:1 ratio which, when coupled with the torque from a big v6, means highway passing and acceleration are the specialization.

>gear ratios are important
That is why you usually have 4-7 different of them available to choose from while driving.

As implies. Your gear ratios are just the rear end.

4th gear can be any ratio it wants to be.

On my Escudo I have a 5.125 rear end but 4th is like .7x or some nonsense so she can still break 90 mph if I tried

I´m The total gear ratio (or rather the development when using different tire siezes) you have matters, how you get it doesn´t matter.

A 5.0 rear and and a 1:1 gear and a 4.0 rear end and a 1:1,25 gear are the same on wheels of the same circumfence.
Both result in 5 engine revolutions per wheel revolution.

*assuming both gearboxes and rear ends operate at the same efficiency.

My 146HP 4 banger merges fine at 120km/h

You dont need much desu, I could lose half power and still merge

I wanted to use 600x800 but God said 640x480 in 16 colors with one voice.

What are you talking about?
Some kind of low quality image?

In 1992 my friend grabbed my penis and I grabbed his
In 1994 my uncle asked me what dick tasted like and I gave him a flavor recommendation, but he was a pedophile
In 1996 I could have fucked a girl but she was as slut
In 2015 I kicked the crap of ouf of my parents' dog because they were servants of satan and they wouldn't admit that they were working for the child sex rings

GOD IS PERFECTLY JUST

literally anything. americans just need to learn to drive.

>eurobus getting mad

I live in Melbourne, Australia.
Pretty sure I'm the only person in the state who can merge at 100kph or above, and I only drive a 190hp 5 Series.

Literally everyone does 80 or even 60 sometimes, even worse when "cognestion lights" are on and people merge onto 100kph freeway at like 40 and nearly cause accidents.

Could easily merge at 100 in a shitty 318i if youre not a fag.

>I live in Melbourne, Australia.
Same. I can merge at the limit in my fucking Lancer ES. Eastern freeway drivers can get fucked.

Any 4cyl with vvt can be floored to get into it's power zone for getting on the highway

Same anywhere on the Monash, we actually have the most incompetent and gutless drivers. Fuel isn't even that expensive here either so its a piss weak excuse for fuel saving.

gtfo with your shitty redditimitation

>Literally doing 70 at the end of on-ramp
>100hp 4cyl sohc
>btfo

You know any apps that have up to date camera spots for melbin? Sometimes on the eastern I just wanna floor it but I dunno how many of them gantrys are rigged to fuck me.

Waze?

Nah not sure man I only travel a few routes and I know where all those cameras are.
But yeah as above poster mentioned Waze is probably the most popular.
You can try this tho camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/home/locations/ because the government are silly enough to brag where they've put them, just memorise the ones where you drive and have a day out lol, end of the day I'm worried most about Highway Patrol hiding behind a bush somewhere than anything else