How come they don't make engines out of titanium? My watch be titanium and it's light as shit

How come they don't make engines out of titanium? My watch be titanium and it's light as shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGXRVNJght8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Titanium is both light and strong, but it doesn't have the same fatigue characteristics as iron, steel, and aluminum. Titanium under load will have a sharp fall of in its strength over time where iron and aluminum don't.
Its price and higher difficulty to machine are also factors. Boring out a cylinder in a Ti block would be a nightmare of broken tool heads.

And did you pay attention to how much more that titanium watch cost over it's stainless steel version? Now consider that stainless steel itself is several times more expensive than iron and I think you'll find your answer.

titanium has to cast in a vacuum also it's difficult to machine

Because carbonfiber is lighter. And titanium is fucking expensive

pic related is a vacuum furnace used to cast aerospace parts

Titanium is also a bugger to cast, the melting temperature is massively high and the molten Ti is so reactive it has to be poured under vacuum.

Plus casting something so large as a block or head in Ti with such low thermal conductivity will result in the big temperature differences between the walls and the centre of the casting so the whole thing will warp as it cools.

So you'd need to machine it from solid billet which would end up costing more than the rest of the car and in all likelihood would weigh about the same as an Aluminium engine due to the tooling wastage.

Also Ti has pretty terrible fatigue properties and low stiffness as said. You can make con-rods out of Ti as they are mostly in compression where Ti is strong but otherwise other materials are just better.

TL:DR; It's a dumb idea.

Titan sucks, better use inconel

I've never seen Inconel used outside of a suppressor baffle.

Yeah it's mostly used in space and subsea applications.

Why don't we make engine out of concrete?

why dont we make engine out of wood? much cheaper and lighter and you can put asbestos in to stop it setting fire

I knew a man who made a car out of wood.
Wooden frame
Wooden body
Wooden wheels
Wooden engine
Wood'n work.

Did he named it corvette?

Titanium is really fucking expensive and it's usually only for airplanes

why don't they make engines out of carbon fiber?

Why not out of diamond?

aside from cost it may have some flaw that makes it completely unsuitable
metals are complex
it could be printed
but thats also expensive

>wooden engine

Funny you mention that...

youtube.com/watch?v=sGXRVNJght8

Fuck this stuff t. Machinist

Aluminium is lighter and cheaper than titanium

Aluminum is not lighter, its lower density.

Why not out of diamond hard dicks?

Diamond burns.

Al-SI and Al-Fe alloys take heat and pressure just as well while not being completely unworkable.