Rising Storm 2 General /rs2g/

Daddy Wilson 2: Electric Boogaloo edition

Previous thread: This is a general for Red Orchestra 1/2, Rising Storm, and recently released Rising Storm 2.

Red Orchestra and Rising Storm are semi-realistic mostly multiplayer first person shooters with vehicular combat.

The latest iteration, Rising Storm 2, focuses on the Vietnam conflict.

>Official Steam Group Edition VVVVVV
steamcommunity.com/groups/rs2gsquadup

>Red Orchestra Ostfront store-page: store.steampowered.com/app/1200
>Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm store page: store.steampowered.com/app/35450
>Rising Storm 2 store page: store.steampowered.com/app/418460

Armour modded in when?

The game fucked me hard. I threw a grenade into a school house! I did not get my 50 kills! Bullshit!

currently around 47 hours in and level 40 something. I think I'm gonna take a break for a week or two then come back to see if I'm any less tired of the same 5 maps

Q3 2017 can't come soon enough

>wrecking shit as grenadier on roof of A in Chu Chi
Set to 175m for B, aim slightly under the windows. 200m for C, aim at the stairs going into the building.
>two snipers and the commander with me
>run out of ammp, start heading down to the ammo dump
>hear gobbledygook screaming as the commander and the snipers show up in my kill feed as mattock kills
>pull out my pistol just as a VC comes around the crates swinging
>facefuck him with the .45
>he changes teams
>starts camping the roof and TKing me and everyone else who goes up there until he's killed my one of us
>he switches back to VC
>starts hopping teams back and forth to ghost our snipers so he can find and kill them
>all the kick votes fail

10/10 great vote system and team selection, Tripwire.

He should have just pulled out his trusty Mosin when he figured out the snipers weren't doing their jobs.

>when ANZACs get added we'll get to use an FN FAL variant

FUCKING GOOKS

>>all the kick votes fail
The best part is for TKs at least, you can just rejoin immediately

>just hit level 50
There's only five maps in the game, and out of those only three are good. But damn it never really gets old, I always come back everyday.

>47 hours
Nigger you're barely starting to know the maps

Song Be
Hue
and Cu Chi?

Hill
Cu Chi
An Lao

I liked Song Be at first but the low framerate is really grating, and there's too much open ground to the north and south

>hill
hilarious

but otherwise respectable choices

So is there a way to set Claymore for a tripwire or can you only manually detonate them?

Manual detonation only.

That seems kinda useless, why not just shoot them at that point?

Because they aren't there yet you ponce. You set up a mine and when you hear them coming you detonate it. It has extremely good range. Bam, guy is killed risk free.

How long is the range?

set them up where you can see gooks but can't shoot gooks, then vaporize rice farmers before they can get a shot off
also they have obnoxious range (30-50 guaranteed kill in my experience, possibly more) and you can set them up on top of trenches without actually leaving the trench

Fuck if I know 5-10 meters.

Tripwire claymores didn't exist back then

As long as shotguns, with more pellets. Of course aiming is finicky at long range because they're pre-aimed.

lel

and by lel i mean nice asspull, a tripwire isn't some magical gadget. John Burford in his autobiography "LRRP Team Leader: A Memoir of Vietnam" repeatedly describes modified claymore firing mechanisms and his usage of them. Including linking them to fire off of one detonator.

It's kindof useless considering all the other traps persist after death except this one
I don't get how it would make it any more powerful than the tripwire trap or toe poppers
Seems like they'd be pretty even to me

>you can see gooks but can't shoot gooks
If you can see the gooks you can shoot the gooks.

Its useful for stuff like Charlie on Hue. Take the underpass, set up a claymore, hear gooks a comin, pop it and get them without exposing yourself.

Its not as useful in the same way a tripwire trap is, or a mine is, but its still extremely useful and has a significant range unlike other stand off explosives.

>Tripwire claymores weren't invented yet
M8 it's a fucking string
Hooks figured it out I don't see how the gwai lo wouldnt

off the top of my head there's that funny swiss cheese wall on the staircase of hue A, and if you're running shotty it don't work
there's also the flower window things on chu chi C, while you can shoot through is a pain in the dick, and the enemy then realizes you're in there and just sprays and penetrates from like the highway

I have seen crazy TK'ers not kicked, and I have been votekicked for BEING TK'D. I'm not even fucking lying user.

GREAT SHIT.

why would anyone use the SKS or the M14?
buy especially why would anyone use the mosin?

I just don't see the point in setting standoff traps when you're on offense
Unless its one they can cap back or something, just seems so situational that not many players will even bother with it

Personally I mostly use them for placing in bunker slits, windows and on the top of trenches without exposing myself. They then delete everything in front when I hear something. You'd be surprised at the amount of kills you can get.

Well there's getting onto the capture point. You don't need mines for that. But when you get on it maybe you don't want to die.

You can poke the barrel of your gun through the holes in that wall. A US sniper can devastate the north side of C from A that way.

You probably made that FNG quit that very day.

>when you dome a GI and you hear the PING from the bullet going through his imperialist pig helmet

he indeed was a level 1, I'm just embarrassed I missed all the shots at the beginning, plus he would've killed me if I hadn't got lucky with him hitting the tree

just killed my first helicopter with a stolen m79, feels good

>hear cancer ping
>no kill

Does that tank have two barrels?

It's an M42 SPAAG, not a tank.

It's anti air for putting pew pews at fly flies.

How would you differentiate between a self propelled gun and a tank when both have: treads, armor, guns, and so on.

There are light tanks that lack a large caliber cannon. There are self propelled guns that have treads.

Where's the line?

M14
>2 more bullets in the mag than the m16
>better sights that have a shorter minimum range setting
>higher recoil, but with single shot firing extra recoil isn't a big deal
>shoots beeger boolit
>queen gun of machine puns

SKS
>man I dunno, it just seems like I get more kills with it for some goddamn reason, like it almost always one-hits

It's mostly about role/doctrinal use. You could call it a tank based on superficial features, but as it was not designed to play the role of tank that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I've probably killed you a few times but...
goddamn, good job faggot. You aren't even a sniper lol!

There seems to be something wrong with the M14 since it requires 4 shots to kill while m16 takes 1-2.

Well reasoned.

That's like how the m60 is for me. It's nice and goes through all the walls like butter but I hear "splat splat splat splat splat splat tink splat" without any kills.

I'm a bit burnt out due to

>5 maps

but I'm still fully loving the era. Any recommendations for other Vietnam games? How is Men at War: Vietnam?

Trash.

UPDATE NVIDIA DRIVERS BOYS

IT'S HAPPENING

Oh. Like, really bad? Or just not great?

How could they fuck it up that hard?

who else here tunnel 'peratin' in Cu Chi?

HES TOO FAST

Bloodbath servers are the best solely for the fact that they disabled map voting and just have a fixed rotation. More servers should do that.

Me. Give me mines, tunnels and a PPSh and I'm happy.

I lay tripwires and scream fuck you GI, they always throw willie pete, a billion nades, and smoke. Then they run into the tripwire and I spam my Tokarev and usually get a bunch of kills after I fake my death with a bunch of voice clips.

I like to place one mine each in every intersection, then lure them into them. Results in very good value for each mine and maximal coverage, with minimal risk. I never trap the entrance in order to make them think it's safe.

>tfw fightin gooks off with nothing but muh fuddy five

I found a secret on Hue city.

There is a door in one of the apartments you can walk through. You will end up in an empty room where nobody can see you. Perfect for hiding.

The way the sniper rifle works is also weird. If shooting over a long distance it seems like you have to aim below your target to hit it, or else your shot will go over, but using the regular m14 without the scope you don't have to compensate your aim and will always hit your target dead on.

Notice that the zero changes with the scope zoom, that's how that scope works.

more wilson
MORE WILSON

I place mines in the sewer tunnels running up to C on Hue.
Put them just beyond the each of the sandbags so they can't see them, when they mount over the sandbags they set off the mine, usually killing anyone crowding behind the sandbags.
So far my record is 4 kills with a single mine.

After the two sandbag mines go off, there's another three scattered around that room they crowd in, and I'm up at the top spamming my PPSh whenever I see movement.

>Map is called Cu Chi
>Cu Chi was famous for its tunnel network during the war
>Doesn't have an intricate tunnel system like Song Be

point D has clusterfuck tunnels tho, any decent viet team can camp the fuck out of them and stall forever

>chu chi
>squad of four GIs holding down a building at A
>angle of the firefight means we can't nade 'em
>scout is pinning down the doorway but does not dare enter
>i'm a guerilla with nothing but my trusty mosin
>fuck it
>fix bayonet and charge right the fuck in there
>mfw i dodge all their bullets with the grace of an angel
>mfw i spear them all like pigs
>mfw i actually fucking survive

>TFW GIs will never know the joy of camping the northwest ammo box on point C of Cu Chi as an RPG boi

Pounding the fuck out of the road approach, suppressing the fuck out of A buildings.. god it's fun.

>SKS

AKs are very inconsistent in accuracy & killing power. It's only strength over the SKS is its 30 round magazine & full auto, making it better in CQB.
Compared to the SKS which is very accurate, and consistently one-hit kills, and consistently penetrates peoples arms when you shoot them in the side.

>M14

No real reason to use it over the M16 other than its sights being better for long-range shooting.
Bullet damage is inconsistent, for some reason. Generally I will always chose the M16 due to the laser-straight bursts you can manage with it.

This
I go SKS every chance I get and never touch the M14.

>honestly I'd probably take a Mosin over an M14 too

SKS also has a generic rapport while the AK has a distinct chuggachuggachugga

I don't like the Mosin, it can be inconsistent like the M14 when it comes to hitting people in the arms from the side. But I much prefer its sights for long-range shooting compared to the SKS
I think it has something to do with the full-calibre shots not penetrating properly upon arm shots, while the intermediate 5.56 and 7.62x39 reliable penetrate through the arm and into the torso.

Could be, I've never had that problem with the Mosin but have had it the few times I've used the M14 when TL-ing.

I did some testing:

>Effective up to the maximum detonation range of ~50m (actually gives you a little marker)
>100% kill rate at max range, even if you're prone, if you're within what appears to be a 90 degree cone of fire on flat land.
>0 damage if you stand at least 5m away from it / within the 270 degree cone it doesn't cover.

BUT there was no good way of testing its behavior when you put it down on slopes, if that cone shifts with the elevation, etc.

All I've managed to do with them is TK people.. But it's still fun setting them up and rubbing my hands like a jew waiting to spring them.

>playing US both rounds just so you can play a pilot

Should sapper get something more than just the mines? I'm thinking they should get satchel charges for use against dug-in GIs.

>have the best gun in the game and mines
>not enough

PPSh turns into a BB gun past 30 meters or so, can't hit shit with it beyond that.

You aren't trying hard enough. I got my 2 kills with one bullet achievement with a PPSH through a hut wall at 75meters.

they have the best "trap" in all of VC because the punji / rope-trip mine are clunky//glitchy as fuck to deploy or make use of.

Give them full body jungle bush suits and I'll fill a river with GI blood.

That's nuts.

>punji
>bad
literally a free kill on most territory maps

>clunky
Yeah once you've managed to place them in a good spot without being lit up. Not as bad as the tunneling tool but still.

>Give them full body jungle bush suits

Oh fuck the hell yes. Tripwire pls

ppsh is a headshot machine man

>tfw sapper is my only class with a kdr worth shit

I have never gotten the punji trap to place properly, no matter how much I've tried.
They really need to fix how punji traps & tunnels are placed.

Look straight down instead of at an angle.

Really? Guess I need to learn to set single-shot when going for long-range hits.
All this time I've been tapping off two-three round bursts, not managing to hit anything.

>be me
>defending cu chi
>rush ahead as Vietcong sapper, deep into GI territory
>hide in a corner
>GIs start stacking up behind a barricade
>tfw

>he's so insecure he hides his own name

>most used weapon is flamethrower

This war made a monster out of me.

literally me right now.

im not even good.

I blew a buddy up with a Claymore when we were fucking around once and I could not stop laughing for a solid five minutes. The range is utterly obscene and the way people just turn to mist is hilarious.

>ever drawing viewer's attention away from the glorious drum mag PPSh

ishygddt

I hate that you can't place them while prone OR that you cant look around while placing them, been killed so many times trying to place traps.