When the only mechanic shop you really trust to even touch your car has a bunch of 1 star reviews from dumbasses...

>When the only mechanic shop you really trust to even touch your car has a bunch of 1 star reviews from dumbasses complaining about the price of normally expensive repairs.

>not working on your on car

Why are you even here?

I do work on my own car but sometimes I dont have the time, tools, energy or skill to do certain repairs like rebuilding transmissions you fucking mong

>when the owner of the mechanic shop replies to the nasty reviews and tells them what REALLY happened was because of their own negligence and disregard, and the reviewer is so BTFO they never respond

a lot of the negative reviews are just niggers hoping to extort free shit from businesses.

Literally gtfo

Agreed up until you said rebuild transmission...

srsly bruh

I'm still looking for a go-to mechanic because the first one I tried (with plenty of great reviews, almost all 4 or 5 stars) fucked up the balancing on my tires and forgot to reconnect the emergency brake when he did my brake work. I'm very new to working on my car, so no way am I trusting myself on stuff like brake work yet, but at the same time, I don't have any mechanic to trust yet either.

Tires, oil, brakes, suspension, recalls/reprograms, alignments are all easy gravy work. Anyone who fucks that shit up has probably only had the job for a month tops.

Seriously that is easy fucking flat rate work.

Wait why is OP getting shit for not doing tranny work? I mean fluids would be one thing but from experience some cars you cant even remove the tranny without a lift

I was afraid to do it myself just because if I mess my brakes up, that's something that can actually cause some damage but I'll probably just try to teach myself next time I need ANYTHING done to my brakes. This time it was a mystery to me why my new used car had such poor braking (apparently a missing caliper pin that let one brake pad shear off completely), but I can't imagine trusting any other mechanic in this city considering that was the most liked one in the area. College town, so there's an unfortunately large number of mechanics actually overcharging students who are too dumb to research the normal price range for repairs. I had a warranty with the original mechanic, but I felt better paying my parents' mechanic in another town versus trusting the guy who made the mistake in the first place.

>When nobody you meet has ever heard of your mechanic shop, the most honest and cheapest place around, because the place looks like a junkyard half the time and they don't advertise

I mean I asked the guy about a rust hole in the trunk of my shitbox a while back, because they do a lot of welding, and he gave me advice on how to fix it myself rather than start talking money and appointments

>looks like a junkyard half the time and they don't advertise
always the best ones. Bonus points if their lifts look old and beat up as opposed to new and unused

That's exactly it, also the owner is always dirty and covered in grease.

Veeky Forums is just autistic and thinks your average joe should be able to easily rebuild an engine

If you can change your oil, spark plugs and tires then you're already more capable than 90% of motorists.

Tbh, literally everything I know and have ever done to a vehicle has mainly been learned through watching a YouTube video and then trying it for myself.

Same here, thank God the shop wanted $150 to change spark plugs or else I never would have began learning to fix things myself

Looking back, owning beaters and shitboxes when I was younger was waaay worth it now.

Shop wanted 2k drive in drive out for a crank replacement (me supplying crank), I did it with 1.2k in parts/tools in 4 weeks. Now I have an engine stand/crane and a wealth of knowledge and the groundwork for a turbo setup.

Would I do that again? Probably, but it was such a cunt finding out things like completely corroded core plugs, replacing seals while I'm there, etc etc - it spirals. I was so close to sperging out on H beams and high compression pistons.

I've never owned one myself, I do the maintenance on my e60. I daydream about buying an mr2 or something just so I can learn more though.

> Look at mechanic I've been recommended to
> All 5-star reviews
> Aside from a single 1-star review
> About their customer service
> reeeeee id never treeat my customers like that rreeeee
> Blatantly got told to fuck off for trying to blame shit on the mechanic
> Get there for repairs I can't perform myself
> The operation is one man in a shed around the back of a car mechanic and sales place
> Surrounded by motorbikes
> With a big touring bike parked out front as if an advertisement

My local trusted mechanics for my car is similar. Big building in the middle of nowhere, grease and oil over the floor, over the mechanics' overalls, under their fingernails. They're also intimately familiar with most of the cars in the area, especially the really high-end ones. Always busy, always good for advice on buying cars, and do great work.

> Work full-time
> Waste two hours a day on commute/work related crap
> Have only limited experience
Fixing your own vehicle is for NEETs who don't need the vehicle running at all times.